PDA

View Full Version : Detailers... I have a question?

Camaro2010
02-06-2010, 11:12 PM
Looking to start a mobile detailing business, but my question is when detailing my personal car and friends and family it seems I can't just do a wash and interior wipe down in less then 1 hour. I takes me about 1 1/2 to 2 hours and a wash and wax takes me all day, so my question is what am i doing wrong or am I? how can I get my hours down to make some money vs losing it?
How long does it take you to do a exterior and light interior?
How long for a wash and wax?
How long for a wash, paint correction and wax?
Any help would be great.

Clutch34
02-06-2010, 11:48 PM
Yea, takes me about hour and a half to wash, too -- that's without interior wipe down!

O.C.Detailing
02-07-2010, 12:55 AM
It will take you all day to correct paint with a machine and the right products/pads.

It takes me about 30-45 minutes to properly wash/dry/dress the outside of a car and then another hour or so to do the interior when I'm working alone. With both John (VR8) and I working on the same car, it's usually about the same because then we can actually put more effort into getting everything REALLY clean. We're getting better, but I think most of us need to work past our OCD to make a good profit.

PAR Detailing
02-07-2010, 02:53 AM
Ya I agree with ^ a wash and dry with all the dressings takes about an hr for me. I can wax a car in 30 min give or take. An interior takes roughly 1.5-2 hrs depending on the car. If it takes you all day to do a wash and wax you need to step up the pace or streamline your procedure to maximize profit.

Camaro2010
02-07-2010, 08:25 AM
So yesterday I did my wifes SUV GMC Arcadia, color is Artic white and I timed my self and this what I came up with as far as time. I know I will need to cut down on the time with the wheels, but let me know where else in need to improve.
5#mins to setup
25#mins to clean the#wheels and wheel wells
20#mins#to wash#
20#mins dry.
Interior#40#mins to vacuum wipe down the dash, doors and windows
exterior- tape, and pinnacle paintwork cleaning lotion#on entire car 4 1/2 hrs
exterior windows- remove water spots 30 mins
Total: 6hrs 50 mins
exterior wax haven't done yet!
Any tips on how to improve time? ####

VR8
02-07-2010, 08:51 AM
It will depend on how much quality you want to give with your details Camaro2010. Almost anyone can give a "quick" wash and wax. You most likely have plenty of them around your town now. They can do it in 2-3 hours. If you want to be a professional detailer, or resemble one, it will take you the better part of a day to fully detail a car/truck if you're by yourself.

Don't scrimp too much on the wheels. They show off the most so you have to make them pop! Cleaning the inside of the rim ALWAYS takes a lot of time. Abused wheels take forever!!

EDIT: I should add. I think you'll make more money at first doing the quick 2-3 hour details. Only after your reputation has people demanding your type of perfection can you charge an appropriate fee to do an 8 hour detail.

O.C.Detailing
02-07-2010, 11:21 AM
It looks to me like you're right on par with most of the detailers on this forum when it comes to time management Camaro.

You won't shave MUCH time off of what you're already doing, unless you start working with someone else as they can do half of the work and you can do half of the work.

Some folks are just MUCH faster and more talented at this detailing game. That's the type of detailer I'm aiming to become. One day, I hope.

Bunky
02-07-2010, 12:04 PM
I think the wash time can vary significantly depending on technique.

I have seen some washers do an entire hood, roof, or head from one dip in the bucket while others dip in the bucket 6 times to do the same area.

I find cleaning jambs to take a lot of time in proportion to some wash takes since you have to open the doors and trunk, do the rockers, pillars, around the door, wipe down, etc.

Shade Tree
02-07-2010, 03:57 PM
It all depends on how you have your routine lined up. Take a look at my site & the services I offer. I have an expected time before completion next to each of the services. I'm a single man mobile/shop detailer with more than 15 years of experience. I'm a perfectionist with each & every car. Customers appreciate that fact and are willing to pay for the time invested.

Get your routine figured out so that you aren't having to do anything twice. :xyxthumbs: