PDA

View Full Version : Why are there so many LC finishing pads?

Clutch34
02-06-2010, 03:20 PM
Like the title says, Lake Country has 4 finishing pads (black, blue, red, gold) -- why? When is it better to use one color over the other? Or can you use any one of them for the LSP?

Matt S.
02-06-2010, 03:40 PM
For applying wax, I like the gray/black pads the most as they won't absorb as much product as the softer ones. When using a DA, I'll almost never go softer than a gray - the red/blue and especially gold are mainly considered jeweling pads for use with a rotary. Using them to polish with a DA may not break down whatever polish you're using effectively.

With that said, the softer pads still do work well for applying LSPs, it just boils down to personal preference to be honest. :)

Clutch34
02-06-2010, 11:54 PM
Gotcha, I didn't know the blue, red, and gold were made for use with rotary. Just makes my life easier on which LSP pad to order! :)

The Pad Man
02-08-2010, 09:10 AM
The black/grey pad does have a mechanical ability to it, meaning, with a swirl remover it does an action. The red and blue have less and the gold has absolutely no mechanical ability. It is a hybrid foam. Softest on the market.

TheGLL
02-08-2010, 09:45 AM
I have read that the red pad can be used to appy sealant.
Gray or blue for finishing with something like Menz P085RD.
Am I right ?

Mike Phillips
02-08-2010, 10:54 AM
Just to chime in, the foam that makes up the foam pad is the applicator material, the abrading, cleaning, polishing, waxing or sealing action is aways a combination of the,

Product
Process (by hand or machine and if by machine the type of machine)
Application Material
Time (Number of passes)
Pressure (Or lack thereof)

Choosing and using the right combination of the above variables is like using an equalizer to adjust music. Adjust everything properly and you'll make sweet music.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/719/clarionequalizer.jpg

:)

bizyrk1652
02-08-2010, 11:23 AM
Just to chime in, the foam that makes up the foam pad is the applicator material, the abrading, cleaning, polishing, waxing or sealing action is aways a combination of the,

Product
Process (by hand or machine and if by machine the type of machine)
Application Material
Time (Number of passes)
Pressure (Or lack thereof)

Choosing and using the right combination of the above variables is like using an equalizer to adjust music. Adjust everything properly and you'll make sweet music.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/719/clarionequalizer.jpg

:)

That is one of the things I really like about this forum. I could spend a small fortune trying to match the right products in order to get my desired results. The experiences of others really help to give people a starting point, and ways to refine existing procedures.
I'm glad the manufacturers give us so many options to choose from so we can always tweak our processes to get that shine just a little better than last time.

nrengle
02-08-2010, 12:49 PM
Mike you aren't making sweet music with that mid range boost like that. OUCH. hehehehehe