PDA

View Full Version : Complain/warning from Home Owner Association

Pages : [1] 2

anson89
02-06-2010, 08:22 AM
So I'm a weekend warrior/side job kinda detailer and have been doing some nice vehicles lately. I usually just detail one vehicle every 3 or 4 days, but decided to 2 today.

Home Owner's Association decides to drop by to tell me to stop detailing because people are complaining, told me that there 5 cars in my driveway which 3 of them are mine and 2 are my client's. I told them that they are friend's cars and they still told me I had to stop.

What are some suggestions from you guys?

Stick with detailing one vehicle every 3 days? Close the garage while I polish to reduce noise reduction from trusty Flex?

This really piss me off!

craigb86
02-06-2010, 08:51 AM
I would get a copy of the Home Owner's Association covenants and read it. Unless it specifically states that you cant have X amount of cars or that you can't wash your car in your drive way. Then they don't have a leg to stand on. Also the next time they come around ask them specifically what rule you are breaking in the covenants.

tonyteesdale
02-06-2010, 09:19 AM
Sounds like you need to start bribing your neighbors with a free detail or two...

Wax Gorilla
02-06-2010, 09:22 AM
- Regardless of what the covenants say it pays to be a good neighbor. Be as accomodating as possible. Try to make it look like less of a commercial enterprise. Do not let the vehicles "PILE UP".
Minimize the noise of the Buffer anyway possible. I have detailed over 1100 cars it a very strict deed enforced neighborhood and have managed to keep the peace for 18 years. It is when your activity infringes on your neighbors basic rights that it becomes a problem. At times I have been asked to start a little later in the morning on weekends with the buffer and I now wait till 10:00AM - I don't do any work on Sundays for religious reasons. I am now doing work for almost everyone who ever had a complaint with me. In other words don't fight - it may be a potential customer !

loudog2
02-06-2010, 09:55 AM
I don't think they have a leg to stand on if it is not in the "by-laws". I live in a townhouse complex. As long as I'm not breaking local noise ordinances(quiet between 10pm-7am), I'm good. Of course, respect your neighbors.

As for the cars, I think your allowed any number. As long as there are no business decals on the cars/trucks sitting overnight. I mean, with what they are saying, you could never host a Thanksgiving or Christmas party.

On a side note. From your pictures, you do live in a upscale community. They might have some strict rules to keep the homeowners happy.

Shade Tree
02-06-2010, 10:01 AM
I know the majority of HOA will have a clause written prohibiting more than X number of vehicles being in a driveway for an extended amount of time. As far as the noise decibel they'll have to prove that the Flex is actually loud enough to be in violation (which it most certainly isn't).

I've dealt with neighbors like this in the past over the years and usually it was a retired person who didn't like any type of disruption, period. Then again, it's best to stay in good relations with your HOA.

Keep your work load to 1 car per day, max. If your HOA prohibits any type of mechanical work performed in your driveway or from your home ........ well, you know what happens then.

Focus2069
02-06-2010, 11:24 AM
From what the OP said, he details the cars in his garage, so unless there is a "no washing cars in driveway" clause, he is fine. Even then, he can use ONR in his garage. Keep the garage door closed, or half open, and they dont have a leg to stand on.

The only thing I can see a problem with is the number of cars in his driveway. Again, simple fix, just park one or 2 cars down the street.

DOlmsted
02-06-2010, 11:48 AM
So I'm a weekend warrior/side job kinda detailer and have been doing some nice vehicles lately. I usually just detail one vehicle every 3 or 4 days, but decided to 2 today.

Home Owner's Association decides to drop by to tell me to stop detailing because people are complaining, told me that there 5 cars in my driveway which 3 of them are mine and 2 are my client's. I told them that they are friend's cars and they still told me I had to stop.

What are some suggestions from you guys?

Stick with detailing one vehicle every 3 days? Close the garage while I polish to reduce noise reduction from trusty Flex?

This really piss me off!

I have a couple questions: is this a condo complex, or development, If condo complexthey have usually very strict rules about parking #of cars which are most likely in your Bylaws. Second: do you have enough room/light in your garage to do your work, if so My suggestion is do the work in the garage with the door closed to keep nosey neighbors from prying, use a better time schedule so there is never more than your personal vehicles + 1 max outside your garage and one of my favorite lines works well. " Mr/Mrs Jones I am very sorry if I have inconvenienced you I will do my best not to trouble you in the future, Maybe I can make it up to you with a wash and polish and wax of your Mercedes" Take the high road with these people you"ll be better off. Trust me these people LOVE to call cops if you are makin noise in a residential neighborhood on a sat/sun. I have detailed more than 1 police cruiser in the past to schmooze the local law enforcement:laughing:

O.C.Detailing
02-06-2010, 02:32 PM
And this is why I'll NEVER EVER live in a place with a Home Owner's Association. There are benefits, but having someone tell me how to live in my own home is unacceptable to me. That's my opinion and no one will be able to change it regardless of the benefits an HOA has for a home owner.

ScottB
02-06-2010, 03:19 PM
this is becoming more and more prevalent in newer communities.

Bill Prentice
02-06-2010, 03:50 PM
As a 39 year title guy, I can say this... Read your C C & R.'s it will have specific restrictions on number of cars and commercial enterprises. If you fall within the bounds of acceptable behavior you can go to the H.O. meeting and make your case... But realize this many of the H.O. "presidents" take their job very serious, many to point of over reaction. So be nice, appear flexible and don't start a war.

If you want to work it out understand what you "management documents say" attend the H.O. meeting, apologize for any concern you may have caused and make your case (that you fall with the bounds of acceptable behavior) and offer reasonable limits to what you intend to do...

Also be aware that many Association Management Documents (C C & R's and bylaws) have general "nuisance provisions", so dont' get blind sided by that.

Hope this helps.

Bill P.

Bunky
02-06-2010, 04:44 PM
And this is why I'll NEVER EVER live in a place with a Home Owner's Association. There are benefits, but having someone tell me how to live in my own home is unacceptable to me. That's my opinion and no one will be able to change it regardless of the benefits an HOA has for a home owner.

Many people have that same opinion -- until an obnoxious jerk moves next to them and then they want the law involved or take the law in their own hands.

O.C.Detailing
02-06-2010, 05:20 PM
I'd rather have the police involved than a HOA. At least the laws of the country are consistent and, unless I don't make my house payments, can't tell me I need to move out of my own home or how to live so long as I'm adhering to the laws established by the government. HOAs seem to be able to put whatever they want in their rules and by-laws. They're great for the people who want to live in that kind of heirarchical dictatorship, but not me man. lol

There are enough people in the world trying to tell me what to do. Don't need people in my neighborhood dictating what I can or can't do on the property I'm paying for.

TMD
02-06-2010, 07:52 PM
One of the many reasons I moved out of the city. Only thing to worry about out here are loose cows and giving directions to UPS. I can even blast Waylon loud enough to hear over my Flex.

wytstang
02-06-2010, 08:38 PM
I'd rather have the police involved than a HOA. At least the laws of the country are consistent and, unless I don't make my house payments, can't tell me I need to move out of my own home or how to live so long as I'm adhering to the laws established by the government. HOAs seem to be able to put whatever they want in their rules and by-laws. They're great for the people who want to live in that kind of heirarchical dictatorship, but not me man. lol

There are enough people in the world trying to tell me what to do. Don't need people in my neighborhood dictating what I can or can't do on the property I'm paying for.

I concur I live in a town home and we have a HOA. The people on my block are cool and we all mind our own business. Our HOA is pretty useless though but I see that as a plus. Stay away from me and I'll stay away from you.