PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needing guidance

Ridgeliner
10-11-2006, 11:10 PM
Hello everybody!! I'm new here and yes this is my first post....:o First I want to tell everyone what a great site I think this is!! I never knew there could be so much good advise in one location. OK here I go.
I have a new 07 Honda Ridgeline. It's what they call a "Nimbus Gray Metallic". I think it's great and want to make it an eye popper.:D
This is where I need help. It it still waiting for it's first true "Detail". I've been told not to wax or polish it for at least 3 to 6 months... is this true??
If not you've made my day. I want to start this out the right way and keep it that way.
I'm planning on getting a PC real soon, but with all of the different products out there which way do I go??? I know I'll be opening "Pandora's Box" with this next set of questions but it might be fun.:) . What wax/polish ect... would you recommend on this color?
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y78/Drifter_56/ROC%20Avatar/Profile.jpghttp://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y78/Drifter_56/ROC%20Avatar/ROC5.jpg
I'm wanting a deep wet 3D shine (aren't we all?) I've been looking at Pinnacle Souverän Carnauba Wax Or P21S, but I'm open to suggestions!! I live in SE North Carolina if the would make a differeance... Thanks!

abrcrombe
10-11-2006, 11:20 PM
You can wax or polish now if you want. Wax - Souveran if you can afford it. If not, max wax or s100 (same as p21s but cheaper). Polish, well you shouldn't need much so XMT #1 will be good and just use either a polishing pad or if swirls are really light, a finishing pad. Good luck.

joe.p
10-11-2006, 11:30 PM
Welcome to AG forum..you'll find the site very informative ...also it is one of the best one stop shops you'll find with the friendliest staff... top of the line items and best customer service, besides they carry the best products available , also thay have a help line if you need to ask questions when your in a bind..

Jason is always readily available to help with any questions..

btw,who and why did they tell you not to polish/wax the car for such a long period of time.. This will help people like killerwheels who is a moderator and very well versed/experienced in many products to help make a sound decision when offering advice.

Also Mehgan,Jen are two very valuable ladies who contribute to the forum and you may also contact Mehgan personally if you feel the need to place an order or need a few questions answered.

Ridgeliner
10-12-2006, 12:36 AM
btw,who and why did they tell you not to polish/wax the car for such a long period of time.. This will help people like killerwheels who is a moderator and very well versed/experienced in many products to help make a sound decision when offering advice.

Believe it or not ..My salesman and then a service manger from another dealership. Both said the paint was "sealed" at either the factory or at the prep shop before delivery.
Which PC would you recommend the 7336 or the 7424 or is the Cyclo a better polisher? Is Souveran worth the extra expense? Thanks for the input.

Ridgeliner
10-12-2006, 12:39 AM
Something eles...I have noticed some "orange peel" affect in my paint job. Is there any way to over come this and get a better shine?

FloridaNative
10-12-2006, 08:13 AM
First, let me say welcome to the forums! We're glad you've decided to join our little family. :)

The only way to get rid of the orange peel is by wet sanding. Orange peel has just become a fact of life with modern paint jobs. I suggest you just learn to live with it.

As far as your new ride, let me first offer you congratulations! Enjoy that new car smell. :)

You'll need to decide if you want to use a sealant or a wax for your car's protection. A sealant will give you more reflection and gloss a quality carnauba wax will give you depth and wetness and a warm glow. Your choice would determine the effect your looking for in your paint's finish. You can also use a sealant and top it with a wax after it has cured if you want but the choice is up to you.

If you want to go with a sealant, then I would recommend either the Wolfgang Deep Gloss paint sealant or the new DP sealant (green one). If you want to go with a wax then Souveran is definitely the king of the hill. There is no other wax out there that can touch it in my humble opinion. Other excellent waxes I would recommend would be the Signature Series II or Max Wax, both of them will make your metal flakes sparkle.

No matter which protection you decide to go with you'll still need to prepare the surface. Wash, clay and then I would use a paint cleaner to remove any products that may have been put on by the dealership before applying your sealant or wax. If you have any swirls in your paint, then I would use XMT 1 or 2 to remove them once you get a PC. Best of luck to you. Welcome again. :) I can't wait to see the pics of your detailed ride. :) Take care.

Meghan
10-12-2006, 08:33 AM
The only way to get rid of the orange peel is by wet sanding. Orange peel has just become a fact of life with modern paint jobs. I suggest you just learn to live with it.

You'll need to decide if you want to use a sealant or a wax for your car's protection. A sealant will give you more reflection and gloss a quality carnauba wax will give you depth and wetness and a warm glow. Your choice would determine the effect your looking for in your paint's finish. You can also use a sealant and top it with a wax after it has cured if you want but the choice is up to you.

If you want to go with a sealant, then I would recommend either the Wolfgang Deep Gloss paint sealant or the new DP sealant (green one). If you want to go with a wax then Souveran is definitely the king of the hill. There is no other wax out there that can touch it in my humble opinion. Other excellent waxes I would recommend would be the Signature Series II or Max Wax, both of them will make your metal flakes sparkle.

No matter which protection you decide to go with you'll still need to prepare the surface. Wash, clay and then I would use a paint cleaner to remove any products that may have been put on by the dealership before applying your sealant or wax. If you have any swirls in your paint, then I would use XMT 1 or 2 to remove them once you get a PC. Best of luck to you. Welcome again. :) I can't wait to see the pics of your detailed ride. :) Take care.
:iagree:
And there is no need to wait, you can start applying your products now. As for the PC, the 7424 is the way to go~

aceshigh73
10-12-2006, 08:47 AM
Did you pay for any "extra" long term sealant from the dealer? (P.S. its all a scam!!) Forget what they say.....
What salesmen and dealerships know about car detailing I can fit on my fingertip....
If they knew so much, they wouldnt use old dirty rags to "buff" your car (and induce loads of swirls) before delivery....

ScottB
10-12-2006, 03:10 PM
http://www.autogeek.net/popoprkit.html

Here is a kit with all that is needed (except soap) to keep the Ridgeline looking good. If you want more durability add DP Sealant or Poorboys EXP.

Jdm
10-27-2006, 12:23 AM
Orange peel is only removed with wet sanding