PDA

View Full Version : Breaking down polish/swirl remover

Big Turkey
02-04-2010, 12:41 AM
I recently have been using Wolfgang's Swirl Remover, and it has been working great.

This entire week it has been rainy, cold (40s F... that's cold here in TX, don't make fun of me) and humid. Detailer's worst nightmare, but it is a sunny forecast this weekend and there is a huge Cars and Coffee meet on Saturday. I am currently doing a 2010 Camaro in my garage, and tonight I decided to start on it before I get in over my head and cannot make the deadline for the cars I have scheduled.

My question is, in this type of weather, how do I know when the polish is fully broken down? I mean, I work about 2-3 section passes across, then up and down, then wipe and check the work. It removes the swirls, I don't get much micro marring and the reflections are pure. There are minor streaks here and there though. What I have noticed is that the polish is hard to wipe off. It takes me 2 turns of the mf towel to get it completely gone without smears.

I tried using less polish, same result. I broke it down with 4-5 section passes and it looks the same as 2-3, also come off the same. Is it the weather that is affecting it, or am I doing something wrong?

When the polish breaks down it doesn't break as easily as when the weather is more cooperative, is it impossible to detail in this weather?

zinc02gt
02-04-2010, 01:04 AM
Humidity. What percentage is it? I have found that in anything above roughly 80% polish is a PITA to get off without spraying it down with IPA.

Big Turkey
02-04-2010, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the reply. It was about 70% last night I was just making sure I wasn't doing anything wrong, or if anyone had any tips or tricks to do this while in cold weather.

zinc02gt
02-04-2010, 03:01 PM
If it's cold (hopefully you're in a garage), just use a little portable heater and try to seal off all the exits well. Get as much heat in there as possible and keep the products relatively close to the heater, not right near it, but close.

Spraying IPA on the residues helps remove caked up polish pretty well.

WRAPT C5Z06
02-05-2010, 07:20 PM
Spraying IPA on the residues helps remove caked up polish pretty well.
What percent IPA do you use?

CEE DOG
02-05-2010, 08:52 PM
50/50

WRAPT C5Z06
02-05-2010, 08:58 PM
50/50
I know, but there's different percent IPA's. Do you mean use the 50% IPA and don't dilute it?

ASPHALT ROCKET
02-05-2010, 09:01 PM
I use 91% straight to do wipedowns. A lot of times the 50/50 mix does not remove all the oils and then you are left with some defects still filled.

To answer your question-with the diminishing abrasives of that polish you want to work it till it is transparent and has oil streaks through it. Yes, this and the Menzerna polishes can be some what of a paint to remove.

WRAPT C5Z06
02-05-2010, 09:02 PM
I use 91% straight to do wipedowns. A lot of times the 50/50 mix does not remove all the oils and then you are left with some defects still filled.
Cool, thanks. 91% isn't harsh on the paint?

ASPHALT ROCKET
02-05-2010, 09:04 PM
Cool, thanks. 91% isn't harsh on the paint?

Nope, I even use solvents when needed.

Big Turkey
02-08-2010, 01:09 AM

To answer your question-with the diminishing abrasives of that polish you want to work it till it is transparent and has oil streaks through it. Yes, this and the Menzerna polishes can be some what of a paint to remove.
Asphalt I appreciate all of your responses in all of my threads. I see that Z06 in your avatar, in my favorite color too.

During this cold weather, I cannot seem to break down the polish to *that* point. I work it and work it.. but as soon as I feel like it's starting to break down one stroke, when I come back and overlap the next stroke, it hazes it again. I feel like I am going in a circle.. no pun intended. BUT, I work it and work it until I feel like I'm getting repetitive, then I work it again for another pass and wipe it off. It corrects and everything.. but I still haven't gotten to where the polish is transparent.