PDA

View Full Version : How many coats of sealant can you apply

Pages : [1] 2

arkus
02-03-2010, 04:54 PM
I was wondering how many coats of pure sealant , without any cleaners , can you apply before it reaches the point of diminishing returns.

ASPHALT ROCKET
02-03-2010, 04:56 PM
I was wondering how many coats of pure sealant , without any cleaners , can you apply before it reaches the point of diminishing returns.

Just like wax no more than about two. This way you know you got every area of the vehicle so it will protect all your hard work.

ricka
02-03-2010, 04:57 PM
two is usually the norm--the 2nd one for insuring coverage. some like upgp look great after three.

Rsurfer
02-03-2010, 05:06 PM
Had as much as 9 coats of UPGP. Who cares about diminishing returns when it's so easy to apply (10 min.) and walk away.

ScottB
02-03-2010, 05:20 PM
I too suggest 2 coats for proper coverage of all painted areas, anything more is likely wasted product especially if done all at the same time.

David Fermani
02-03-2010, 08:58 PM
Wasn't there a thread floating around somewhere where someone applied something like 100 coats of Zaino?

TLMitchell
02-03-2010, 10:59 PM
Wasn't there a thread floating around somewhere where someone applied something like 100 coats of Zaino?

Saw a thread on DB in the last few weeks where one of Paul Dalton's buddies put 51 coats of Z2 on his brand new ride followed by 3 coats of Crystal Rock. His inspiration was a BMW that had 50 coats of Z2.

That didn't even scratch the surface of obsessive... he took 3 months to detail every inch including ripping out the interior for soundproofing and sound system and gutting the electricals to change every bulb and LED in the car to a more pleasing color. He went almost apeshit when the interior guy was going to replace panels where there was a smudge of grease or crud on the inner floorpan. He said it'd drive him nuts because HE would always know it was there! :confused:

Although it wasn't specifically addressed I'm sure he probably Armor All'd in between his tire treads too. :eek:

If you want to look it up it was titled something like 3 Month Detail on a VXR or VRX or XYZ or something. I can't keep track of those cute little brit cars. A long but worthwhile read with tons of pics... if nothing else it's guaranteed to leave your mouth hanging wide open. :doh:

TL

killrflake
02-03-2010, 11:21 PM
I remember reading several threads concerning Zaino fanatics applying many many coats of Zaino, it's kind of funny. I wonder if his mileage is affected by the weight of so many layers of product on his painthttp://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

arkus
02-03-2010, 11:31 PM
Many coats will weigh the car down and reduce gas mileage.

Kurt_s
02-04-2010, 12:48 AM
Perhaps you'll need stronger springs and struts to handle the extra weight??

zinc02gt
02-04-2010, 12:57 AM
Many coats will weigh the car down and reduce gas mileage.

Perhaps you'll need stronger springs and struts to handle the extra weight??

Are you guys kidding???

Theoretically, for every 100lbs added it's 1mpg taken away.

The difference in gas mileage would be so negligible that you would never notice it in the entire liftetime of the vehicle.

Rsurfer
02-04-2010, 12:59 AM
Are you guys kidding???

Theoretically, for every 100lbs added it's 1mpg taken away.

The difference in gas mileage would be so negligible that you would never notice it in the entire liftetime of the vehicle.
I think they were kidding around, zinc

zinc02gt
02-04-2010, 01:13 AM
Interwebs for ya...

How's the progress on that rocking chair guy?

arkus
02-04-2010, 01:30 AM
yes I was kidding .

arkus
02-04-2010, 01:30 AM