PDA

View Full Version : Found a MF towel that doesn't lint!!!

Pages : 1 [2]

christian900se
02-02-2010, 08:30 PM
I hate to hop on the bandwagon but my 530's lint as well. I am experimenting with various brands but many people highly rate Pakshak so I might give them a go.

It is a shame about the 530's and Shamrocks linting because they feel so nice that it is almost heartbreaking not being able to use them.

WRAPT C5Z06
02-02-2010, 08:36 PM
The mf towel included in the clay kit seems a little different from the Mothers 20x24 mf towel. The label said 80/20 on the Mothers Clay Kit.

You're right. I called Mothers and a chemist told me the clay kit towel is a bit different from the Quick detail towel. He said if I like the clay kit towel, I will love the quick detail towel. I think the QD towel is 70/30 and has a satin border unlike the clay kit towel. I ordered 2 Mothers QD towels. :dblthumb2:

Piku
02-02-2010, 09:07 PM
My Cobra Jr. 600 (six of them) lint as well. :(

dublifecrisis
02-02-2010, 09:14 PM
Do the CD test. no scratches? Have at it. Rub the towel over a new clean CD. Turn on a bright light and pull out a magnifying glass, photo loop etc...see ANY scratches? If so, no touchy on the painty.

80/20 towels are typically not up to the standard as a 70/30 or even 75/25. Korean towels better than China towels.

WRAPT C5Z06
02-02-2010, 09:14 PM
the mothers microfiber towels work well, and i've been using them wash and after wash with no problems. i too am experiencing the lint like many others, with some of the cobra microfiber towels and don't think i am going to purchase them again anytime soon...

As for the Mothers 20x24 mf towel, it is a good dual nap towel but it is also a nice size. It is not that big to be ungainly when damp like some larger towels can be but larger than the more common 16x24 towel.

:dblthumb2:

WRAPT C5Z06
02-02-2010, 09:16 PM
Do the CD test. no scratches? Have at it. Rub the towel over a new clean CD. Turn on a bright light and pull out a magnifying glass, photo loop etc...see ANY scratches? If so, no touchy on the painty.

80/20 towels are typically not up to the standard as a 70/30 or even 75/25. Korean towels better than China towels.
I'll try. The Mothers MF towel that comes with the clay kit 80/20, and it's still great. I QD MF towel they sell are 70/30, even better. I'll try the CD test and report back.

obssest
02-02-2010, 09:59 PM
I have 2 Meg's Supreme Shine MF towels and 2 Ultimate Wipe (edgeless) MF towels that I haven't used yet. Anyone have experience with these?

I have 21 Supreme Shines. 18 of them lint like crazy, 3 do not.

I have 3 Ultimate Wipes. All 3 lint. Rub them on glass and it looks like snow.

Why do 3 supremes not lint? I'm convinced they are not all made in the same place or conditions.

obssest
02-02-2010, 10:07 PM
One more thing. The CD test seems flawed to me. I can make EVERY towel scratch a CD depending on the pressure I used. I actually found that the Cobra Super 600's I got recently had the WORST scratching edging of any towel I have ever tried on a CD.

I'm giving some Adams' waffle weave "waterless wash" towels a try for my quick detail use since waffle weave doesn't seem to lint.

Interesting enough, the most lint free towels are the cheaper "non-split" microfiber like the ProForce from Sam's Club. For some reason, I think the splitting process makes them feel plush, but causes the linting issues. These things are like 24 towels (16x16) for $10.00. They pass the CD test unless I use twice the pressure that I would normally use to QD the car.

this is frustrating. I'm on the verge of going back to cotton.

tuscarora dave
02-02-2010, 10:34 PM
I'm partial to the Poorboy's DMT and UMT towels. Griot's Garage towels work nicely as well without linting.
Same here on the DMT and UMTs, the best I have had so far for anything.

dublifecrisis
02-02-2010, 10:47 PM
One more thing. The CD test seems flawed to me. I can make EVERY towel scratch a CD depending on the pressure I used. I actually found that the Cobra Super 600's I got recently had the WORST scratching edging of any towel I have ever tried on a CD.

I'm giving some Adams' waffle weave "waterless wash" towels a try for my quick detail use since waffle weave doesn't seem to lint.

Interesting enough, the most lint free towels are the cheaper "non-split" microfiber like the ProForce from Sam's Club. For some reason, I think the splitting process makes them feel plush, but causes the linting issues. These things are like 24 towels (16x16) for $10.00. They pass the CD test unless I use twice the pressure that I would normally use to QD the car.

this is frustrating. I'm on the verge of going back to cotton.

True, you can MAKE the towel scratch a CD. I know it's difficult to simulate, but you can even spray a little QD on the CD, give it some circular wipes, a few back and forths using the same pressure you would on your paint. Whether you're buffing off a polish or doing your final buff with a QD you're only applying enough pressure for the job at hand.

As for the linting issues - it does seem to me that there have been more and more complaints recently. For some towels, it's few and far between, but more common in others. I've seen a few complaints about Shamrocks, but it surprises me that multiple people are having issues with 530's or Deluxe towels. I have allll these towels. I did see some linting with the greens after the first wash but less after the second. BUT for the 530's and Jr Deluxe - no linting issues.

I'm certain your concerns will be heard/read and a resolution will come. As long as I've been a hobbyist, Cobra has been right at the top for MF towels. There are a few other brands out there that people stick with but I never bothered since my Cobra towels lived up to the hype.

rwright
02-02-2010, 11:06 PM

Why do 3 supremes not lint? I'm convinced they are not all made in the same place or conditions.

This is why I want/need to test mine, especially before I purchase a couple cases. Thanks for the feedback.

Shane731
02-02-2010, 11:25 PM

Where did you get your towels from? Most of my Supreme Shines (I think except for 3) and all my Ultimate Wipes I got from either ADS or the clay kits. I haven't had any problems with linting at all. Maybe different dealers get their towels from different distributors?

obssest
02-03-2010, 10:38 PM
Where did you get your towels from? Most of my Supreme Shines (I think except for 3) and all my Ultimate Wipes I got from either ADS or the clay kits. I haven't had any problems with linting at all. Maybe different dealers get their towels from different distributors?

The 3 non-linting Supreme Shines I bought from Meguiar's Online. They had packaging that said "Gold Class" Supreme Shines and did not look like the packaging on the website. They are great.

So, I buy 9 more from detailing.com and these ones have packaging that looks like the Meguiar's website, they DO NOT have the Gold Class packaging like my first 3. These ones lint like crazy, unusable.

Detailing.com was GREAT about it and sent me 9 more as replacements. These did not have the "Gold Class" packaging either, and lint like the other group of 9.

I talked to 2 people at Meguiar's and got conflicting information about which packaging for the Supreme Shines is NEWER. The "Gold Class" or the "Meguiar's Supreme Shine MF Towel". So, are my 3 good ones OLD style towels or are they NEW style towels? Not even Meguiar's knows, eh? Item # is the same for both. If you browse Amazon.com or other sites, you will see some that show the "Gold Class" packaging for these towels.

I'm tempted to buy more direct from Meguiars.com just to satisfy myself, but I'm scared what I'll get.