PDA

View Full Version : Your take of "1 pass"?

WRAPT C5Z06
02-02-2010, 01:14 PM
There seems to be a few different definitions out there. So, what's your definition?

Irish
02-02-2010, 01:22 PM
1 pass for me means I've fully broken down the polish 1 time.

zinc02gt
02-02-2010, 01:23 PM
One pass to me means that I have layed my polish down, worked the polish, turned the machine off, and wiped the residue off.

arkus
02-02-2010, 01:49 PM
1 pass for me means I've fully broken down the polish 1 time.

I agree with this one .
The other one is fine too .

arkus
02-02-2010, 01:51 PM
So basically going over a panel completly and fully one time ?

WRAPT C5Z06
02-02-2010, 02:03 PM
So basically going over a panel completly and fully one time ?
I wouldn't think a whole panel, just the section you're working on. Unless, you're working on a whole panel at the same time. I don't think most people do this, though.

Mike Phillips
02-02-2010, 02:11 PM
I'll stick to what I wrote here,

Tips and Techniques for using the PC 7424XP Dual Action Polisher to remove Below Surface Defects (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/expert-tips/20021-tips-techniques-using-porter-cable-7424xp.html)

In the above article, this was the first time I ever defined what a Single Pass and what a Section Pass was specifically.

The definition of a pass
There are two definitions of the word pass as it relates to machine polishing with any type of machine.

Single Pass
A single pass is just that. It's when you move the polisher from one side of the section you're buffing to the other side of the section you're buffing. That's a single pass.

Section Pass
A section pass is when you move the polisher back and forth, or front to back with enough single overlapping passes to cover the entire section one time. That's a section pass.

Like this,
http://www.autogeekonline.net/mikephillips/images/polish-1.gif

In most cases if you're removing any substantial below surface defects you're going to make 6-8 section passes to the section you’re working before you either feel comfortable you've removed the defects or you're at the end of the buffing cycle for the product you're using.

It was important to have a very clear and understandable description of each because my job means showing and/or typing out what these two terms mean so people can duplicate the techniques in their garage on their car.

It's important to have consistency over time and the technique has to work and be able to be duplicated.

The bigger picture
The definitions must also be logical for other procedures, for example, to tell someone to overlap their passes works when doing Single Passes over a section. I'm not sure how it would work with other definitions of a pass.

That said, everyone is free to come up with their own definitions and please feel encouraged to write a how to article using your words and definitions for the benefit of others.

Each one teach one...

:)

Mike Phillips
02-02-2010, 02:12 PM
I wouldn't think a whole panel, just the section you're working on. Unless, you're working on a whole panel at the same time. I don't think most people do this, though.

If you're doing correction work that's too big of an area to carve out at one time.

If you're machine applying an LSP then as far as you can reach and as long as you have a wet-film to spread.... go for it...

DLB
02-02-2010, 02:23 PM
As mentioned - completely working a section one time.
EG: Work a 2'x2' area with M105 until it finished working. One pass.
Work the same section again with M105 until it is finished working. Two passes.

Then you start back over with M205 and same section. One pass.
Do it again with M205. Two passes.

Total passes = 4...2 of each product.

DLB

WRAPT C5Z06
02-02-2010, 02:33 PM
If you're doing correction work that's too big of an area to carve out at one time.

That's what I was referring to. :xyxthumbs:

Mike Phillips
04-12-2010, 01:26 PM
Found this thread while looking for a different thread, since this thread was started we've added a video showing what a Section Pass is,

How to do a Section Pass using a Dual Action Polisher - Key to Removing Swirls (http://www.palmbeachmotoring.net/ascg-videos/section-pass.html)

How to Remove Swirls and Scratches using ANY dual action polisher (http://www.palmbeachmotoring.net/ascg-videos/porter-2-20-10.html)