PDA

View Full Version : Which lights are better for correction

Pages : [1] 2

WindyCity
02-01-2010, 11:58 AM
I am building a "buffing" cart and would like to mount lights on there to help with correction. Which lights are better halogens or florscents to see defects?

christian900se
02-01-2010, 12:06 PM
They will highlight different defects and are both needed if you want a complete lighting system. Halogens are great for seeing the general level of swirls and marring that are in the paint, while flourescent lights will highlight the deeper RIDs and scratches.

WindyCity
02-01-2010, 12:09 PM
Darn so I could use both?? Ok i guess ill have the best of both worlds!

Jenn1270
02-01-2010, 11:00 PM
Is this what I see in the background of most folks pictures

Amazon.com: Designers Edge L-14SLED Home Light Two-Light 1000-Watt Halogen Work Light with Tripod: Home Improvement (http://www.amazon.com/Designers-Edge-L-14SLED-Two-Light-1000-Watt/dp/B0002YW2C8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1265083091&sr=1-1)

Matt S.
02-01-2010, 11:18 PM
Yes, 1000w halogens are most common. Lately, I've been using my 295 lumen LED (EagleTac T10C2) and it really comes in handy since I can stick it in my pocket. Otherwise, the Brinkmann light is a pretty good value and is rechargeable if you're not looking for something pocketable.

zinc02gt
02-01-2010, 11:48 PM
The 1000W work lights do wonders.

A4 1.8tqm
02-02-2010, 08:21 AM
The halogens on the tripod are great, and it is convenient that they detach from the tripod. Or, you can find single 500w-1000w fixtures for mounting on the cart. 2' fluorescent fixtures are easy to handle and could probably mount on your cart. Don't forget to post some pics of your detailing cart when it's finished. I may have to build one now :D

sullysdetailing
02-02-2010, 09:28 AM
1000w works wonders and the Brickman come in handy two.

WindyCity
02-02-2010, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the info guys! I need to do something for a cart for waxing/ buffing etc. I am probably going to "wire" it up with a heavy duty 40ft cord, for the lights, and an outlet for the buffer/PC to plug right into the cart. obviously space on the cart for towels, polish, wax, extra pads etc.....

500 wt halogens bright enough? Or would 1000 be best?

I will definitely post pictures when its done.....probably a few weeks, it will take some time to design it since it will be custom built!

WindyCity
02-02-2010, 01:27 PM
Yes, 1000w halogens are most common. Lately, I've been using my 295 lumen LED (EagleTac T10C2) and it really comes in handy since I can stick it in my pocket. Otherwise, the Brinkmann light is a pretty good value and is rechargeable if you're not looking for something pocketable.

I use a LED head lamp and it is awsom since everywhere you move your head it moves with you. It took a while to get used to it but the railroad i work for wants us to use them and it is nice to not have to carry a light in your hand. People always laugh when they see you wearing it though!

Rye
02-02-2010, 02:03 PM
Make sure the total wattage of the cart does not get too high, especially if this is for a mobile business. With a set of 1000W lights, fluorescents, buffer, and possibly other items all going to one outlet you could trip the breaker. Most likely you will be fine, but just run the numbers first.

If I use my 500w halogens and my 1500w heater at the same time in my garage the breaker will always trip.

DLB
02-02-2010, 02:56 PM
Make sure the total wattage of the cart does not get too high, especially if this is for a mobile business. With a set of 1000W lights, fluorescents, buffer, and possibly other items all going to one outlet you could trip the breaker. Most likely you will be fine, but just run the numbers first.

If I use my 500w halogens and my 1500w heater at the same time in my garage the breaker will always trip.
http://slickorange.com/board/icon/yes.gif I had this exact thing happen to me a few weeks ago in my garage. Was running 1000w lights and an air compressor on 1 circuit and I hit the go button on the rotary and it got dark and quiet real quick. (Obviously this was a big load, but it was on a 30 amp breaker, so I was just gonna try it).

These problems can be avoided by not being lazy and moving one of your cords to the next available receptacle on a different circuit...which in the case of my garage is about 6 feet at any time. :D Sometimes I am just lazy.

DLB

Rye
02-02-2010, 03:03 PM
http://slickorange.com/board/icon/yes.gif I had this exact thing happen to me a few weeks ago in my garage. Was running 1000w lights and an air compressor on 1 circuit and I hit the go button on the rotary and it got dark and quiet real quick. (Obviously this was a big load, but it was on a 30 amp breaker, so I was just gonna try it).

These problems can be avoided by not being lazy and moving one of your cords to the next available receptacle on a different circuit...which in the case of my garage is about 6 feet at any time. :D Sometimes I am just lazy.

DLB

I hear ya. All of my garage outlets are on one circuit but the exterior GFI right outside of the garage door is on a different one so I will use that when needed.

AudiTTman
02-02-2010, 03:08 PM
1000 watt system will usually show you things in the paint you'd rather not see haha, but still, its a must have tool when trying to get a perfect shine. I love my mine but the heat it generates could seriously give you a sunburn hahaha.

WRAPT C5Z06
02-02-2010, 03:39 PM
Good luck with any lighting on light metallics!!!