PDA

View Full Version : Layer Collinite #845 over a sealant??

Pages : [1] 2 3

DARK HORSE
01-31-2010, 03:07 PM
I may be wrong but I believe that Collinite #845 is a true wax. However from what I understand it has the durability of a sealant. Has anyone ever layered it over a sealant? I am thinking of layering it over XMT 360 (AIO sealant) to protect my off road trucks in the extreme Idaho environment (very nice trucks) What do you guys think? Any thoughts or suggestions? I want to layer it over XMT360 because I have a bunch of it from a BOGO, and for a weekly off road pickup it seems to be a great all in one. I would just like to add some more protectionFeed back please

http://autogeek.net/collinite-insulator-wax-845.html (http://autogeek.net/collinite-insulator-wax-845.html)

Shane731
01-31-2010, 03:14 PM
I applied #845 over a week old application of NXT 2.0. So far it is holding up very nicely. I'm very impressed. Of course, I don't know if that's just the Collinite I'm seeing or the combination of both sealants. Either way, I haven't seen any adverse effects from combining the two.

bmw5541
01-31-2010, 03:19 PM
I applied it over BFWD in November and it is still holding strong! Great stuff:dblthumb2:

rwright
01-31-2010, 03:36 PM
I applied #845 over a week old application of NXT 2.0. So far it is holding up very nicely. I'm very impressed. Of course, I don't know if that's just the Collinite I'm seeing or the combination of both sealants. Either way, I haven't seen any adverse effects from combining the two.

Why did you layer wax over wax? Just curious. Was this to follow the application of soft wax over a hard wax or something of that nature? Like Dodo Juice does with Blue Velvet and Purple Haze for example. Also, I've heard people call NXT 2.0 a sealant before. It plainly states on the container and their site that it's a synthetic wax. They have a synthetic sealant and polymer sealant listed as sealants and Gold Class and NXT listed as waxes. Am I missing something?

TLMitchell
01-31-2010, 03:43 PM
I may be wrong but I believe that Collinite #845 is a true wax. However from what I understand it has the durability of a sealant.

I've been using 845 for 20+ years and always felt it was more durable than most sealants I've used.

Has anyone ever layered it over a sealant? I am thinking of layering it over XMT 360 (AIO sealant) .....

I started using sealants for the first time a little over a year ago. They appeared to bring out a brighter shine to my white vehicle. I also like their slickness and ease of use. Can't say as they were measurably slicker or easier to use than 845... none of them seemed to retain the high shine and slickness of 845 over time though.

I've seen some discussions about some thinking the solvents in 845 may affect an underlying sealant. Some are also of the opinon that those solvents may make 845 self-stripping effectively making it impossible to truly layer 845. ::::shrug::: I really like the way Opti Seal makes white really pop for me and would like to add the longevity of 845. I'm waiting for a reply from Collinite re: 845s solvents, layering, sealants etc. In the meantime I'm just going to top the Opti Seal with 915.

I'll post the reply when I get it.

TL

DARK HORSE
01-31-2010, 03:45 PM
Why did you layer wax over wax? Just curious. Was this to follow the application of soft wax over a hard wax or something of that nature? Like Dodo Juice does with Blue Velvet and Purple Haze for example. Also, I've heard people call NXT 2.0 a sealant before. It plainly states on the container and their site that it's a synthetic wax. They have a synthetic sealant and polymer sealant listed as sealants and Gold Class and NXT listed as waxes. Am I missing something?

Even though Meggs nxt 2.0 tech wax has the word "wax" right in the name, it is actually a sealant. You can layer a nuba over it, but you should not layer it over another sealant or a nuba.

Meguiars NXT Generation Tech Wax is unlike any other car wax! Tech Wax, a synthetic, scientifically engineered paint sealant, is an alternative to (http://www.autogeek.net/mg12718.html)

rwright
01-31-2010, 03:48 PM
Thanks Tad, I was not aware of this! Where is this documented at? Or is it just a guess? I would like to read more about this.

DARK HORSE
01-31-2010, 03:51 PM
I've been using 845 for 20+ years and always felt it was more durable than most sealants I've used.

I started using sealants for the first time a little over a year ago. They appeared to bring out a brighter shine to my white vehicle. I also like their slickness and ease of use. Can't say as they were measurably slicker or easier to use than 845... none of them seemed to retain the high shine and slickness of 845 over time though.

I've seen some discussions about some thinking the solvents in 845 may affect an underlying sealant. Some are also of the opinon that those solvents may make 845 self-stripping effectively making it impossible to truly layer 845. ::::shrug::: I really like the way Opti Seal makes white really pop for me and would like to add the longevity of 845. I'm waiting for a reply from Collinite re: 845s solvents, layering, sealants etc. In the meantime I'm just going to top the Opti Seal with 915.

I'll post the reply when I get it.

TL

Very informative TL, will you please PM me with the answer when you here back from Collinite.
Thanks,
Tad

DARK HORSE
01-31-2010, 03:56 PM
Thanks Tad, I was not aware of this! Where is this documented at? Or is it just a guess? I would like to read more about this.

Here is a link to the description on AG's website, also I have read other discussions on other forums about it, as well as just googling it. I agree it is kind of confusing, I think I remember reading on MOL not to layer it over other sealants or waxes.

Meguiars NXT Generation Tech Wax is unlike any other car wax! Tech Wax, a synthetic, scientifically engineered paint sealant, is an alternative to (http://www.autogeek.net/mg12718.html)

rwright
01-31-2010, 04:02 PM
Thanks again! I don't know how I overlooked the description right on AGO! Oh well. Now I guess that tosses out the test I was going to do with Meg's Polymer Sealant with NXT 2.0 over top. Maybe I'll try NXT 2.0 topped with Meg's new Gold Class Premium.

DARK HORSE
01-31-2010, 04:08 PM
Thanks again! I don't know how I overlooked the description right on AGO! Oh well. Now I guess that tosses out the test I was going to do with Meg's Polymer Sealant with NXT 2.0 over top. Maybe I'll try NXT 2.0 topped with Meg's new Gold Class Premium.

No prob. my friend. It is very confusing as to how Meggs. markets it sometimes.

Clutch34
01-31-2010, 04:25 PM

That sounds like a good test! I'd like to know how that turns out for ya! :xyxthumbs:

LITUNDRA
01-31-2010, 04:30 PM
I use it every winter on top of Klase it works awesome and lasts about 6 months.

hondajake
01-31-2010, 05:04 PM
I applied it over PB EX-P in November, still holding strong :)

Jenn1270
01-31-2010, 06:40 PM
I thought I read somewhere on here that #845 is a sealant/wax not just a plain wax.