PDA

View Full Version : Can someone post a pic of marring?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

WRAPT C5Z06
01-31-2010, 01:19 PM
The normal type of marring you get from polishing that has to be cleaned up. I have no idea what to look for.

For example
I had one of those days with my flex.. I used Dodo lime prime(w/abrasives) w/a grey pad on my wifes Toyota. The lime prime marred the hell out of the paint. I use it on my Infifniti with no problem. Don't you hate when that happens? Use something that works great on one car. Then think it will be the same on the next.

loudog2
01-31-2010, 01:25 PM
Look at the paint on a angle in the light. You will see fine scratches if you get marring.

I wish I had pictures to show you. If it wasn't 20*F, I'd go marr my wifes hood to take a picture. Of course I wouldn't tell her I'm going to mess her paint up on purpose.

WRAPT C5Z06
01-31-2010, 01:35 PM
Look at the paint on a angle in the light. You will see fine scratches if you get marring.

I wish I had pictures to show you. If it wasn't 20*F, I'd go marr my wifes hood to take a picture. Of course I wouldn't tell her I'm going to mess her paint up on purpose.
LOL!!

Does marring reflect light like swirls, or do the fine scratches look different? I know this is hard to explain.

Lasthope05
01-31-2010, 01:43 PM
Marring is more or less the same as swirls. Its just went we use that term we mean the very light superficial swirls/scratches.

Have you ever polished your car and you accidentally used a dirty towel to wipe residue. If you look closely you see very light scratches you just instilled. That is considered marring.

WRAPT C5Z06
01-31-2010, 01:45 PM
Marring is more or less the same as swirls. Its just went we use that term we mean the very light superficial swirls/scratches.

Have you ever polished your car and you accidentally used a dirty towel to wipe residue. If you look closely you see very light scratches you just instilled. That is considered marring.
So when your polishing, how do you tell the difference what defects you removed and what you instilled? :eek:

tuscarora dave
01-31-2010, 01:51 PM
Click this link and observe the haze in the after photos in the halogen lights and also in the flash from the camera, this is marring from the second pass with a polish that I used back then before I found Poorboy's world products that I use now.

If I had this car in that condition in front of me right now I would follow it up with a pass using a DA and PB SSR1 or Polish with sealant to remove the marring.

some paint correction I did for a friend. - DetailCity.org - Auto Detailing & Car Detailing Forum (http://www.detailcity.org/forums/auto-detailing-101/25947-some-paint-correction-i-did-friend.html)

Lasthope05
01-31-2010, 01:52 PM
That is why we use the least agressive method first. But to answer your question, swirls are random and scattered in all directions but user instill swirls(marring) are more uniform all going in a circular direction if using a rotary.

WRAPT C5Z06
01-31-2010, 02:04 PM
Click this link and observe the haze in the after photos in the halogen lights and also in the flash from the camera, this is marring from the second pass with a polish that I used back then before I found Poorboy's world products that I use now.

If I had this car in that condition in front of me right now I would follow it up with a pass using a DA and PB SSR1 or Polish with sealant to remove the marring.

some paint correction I did for a friend. - DetailCity.org - Auto Detailing & Car Detailing Forum (http://www.detailcity.org/forums/auto-detailing-101/25947-some-paint-correction-i-did-friend.html)
Awesome, thanks. So marring looks like dull scratches that make a haze look? I've never come across marring using M105 and an orange pad, at least none that I'm aware of.

Are the chances of marring greater with a rotary compared to a Flex 3401?

tuscarora dave
01-31-2010, 03:19 PM
Awesome, thanks. So marring looks like dull scratches that make a haze look? I've never come across marring using M105 and an orange pad, at least none that I'm aware of.

Are the chances of marring greater with a rotary compared to a Flex 3401?
Both machines will produce marring but the marring will be in two different patterns.

The fact that M-105 is a compound with non diminishing abrasives there will be some level of marring left behind because the abrasives do not break down (they stay the same size and continue to cut until we lift the machine off of the paint) but the marring will be more noticable when using a rotary, they will be in circular pattern because the pad only spins and does not jiggle as well.

The DA on the other hand (flex 3401) while the machine is forced rotation it is spinning (at a small fraction of the speed of that of the rotary) but it is also jiggling as well. This jiggling action tends to clean up more of the marring, but there is still marring there.

If you would use a diminishing compound on the other hand (such as System1 or let's say SSR 2.5) the longer you work the product, the more the abrasive particulates diminish or break down, then eventually you will end up with much less marring resulting in a much glossier finish. I personally would follow that with SSR1 or PWS to produce even more gloss yet, but that's just me.

My thought is (and these are just my thoughts) that if you are not noticing any marring while using 105 and an orange pad and are stopping there to apply an LSP then you are either missing out on your paints potential for gloss or what you have is just OK for what you are trying to achieve. Not wrong, just stopping short of potential is all.

This is just my two cents and $0.2 may be all it is worth.:xyxthumbs:

WRAPT C5Z06
01-31-2010, 03:41 PM
Both machines will produce marring but the marring will be in two different patterns.

The fact that M-105 is a compound with non diminishing abrasives there will be some level of marring left behind because the abrasives do not break down (they stay the same size and continue to cut until we lift the machine off of the paint) but the marring will be more noticable when using a rotary, they will be in circular pattern because the pad only spins and does not jiggle as well.

The DA on the other hand (flex 3401) while the machine is forced rotation it is spinning (at a small fraction of the speed of that of the rotary) but it is also jiggling as well. This jiggling action tends to clean up more of the marring, but there is still marring there.

If you would use a diminishing compound on the other hand (such as System1 or let's say SSR 2.5) the longer you work the product, the more the abrasive particulates diminish or break down, then eventually you will end up with much less marring resulting in a much glossier finish. I personally would follow that with SSR1 or PWS to produce even more gloss yet, but that's just me.

My thought is (and these are just my thoughts) that if you are not noticing any marring while using 105 and an orange pad and are stopping there to apply an LSP then you are either missing out on your paints potential for gloss or what you have is just OK for what you are trying to achieve. Not wrong, just stopping short of potential is all.

This is just my two cents and $0.2 may be all it is worth.:xyxthumbs:
Excellent reply. :)

I always follow 105 with 205. I was just saying 105 finishes very nicely for what it is, IMO.

ZimRandy
01-31-2010, 04:30 PM
This shows what 105 (left side) left behind and 205 (right side) cleaned up. Without the lights, it wasn't nearly as noticable.

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/4682/dsc09700p.th.jpg (http://img441.imageshack.us/i/dsc09700p.jpg/)

Randy

A4 1.8tqm
01-31-2010, 04:40 PM
Great example Randy, I was browsing my pics for something like that, to no avail...

christian900se
01-31-2010, 05:24 PM
Light marring:

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/Photo0700.jpg

Light-medium marring:

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/Photo0716.jpg

Medium Marring:

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/Photo0693.jpg

Heavy Marring:

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/DSC01078.jpg

nittyv12
01-31-2010, 06:06 PM
so marring is an effect of using a DA or rotary, that has to be cleaned up with another pass using a finer abrasive? much like when working with wood and you work through the heavy grits to the lighter finshing grits?

Fly bye
01-31-2010, 06:13 PM
So when your polishing, how do you tell the difference what defects you removed and what you instilled? :eek:

You look really carefully before & after you touch a vehicle, and you will know.