PDA

View Full Version : Optimum opti bond tire GEL question..

Pages : [1] 2

WRAPT C5Z06
01-31-2010, 01:02 PM
I bought DP gel wheel cleaner thinking it would be a GEL. It serves its purpose, but it's definitely not a gel, it's a watery liquid, IMO. With that said, is opti bond a GEL, or more of a watery liquid? When dispensed out of the bottle, will it soak into a foam applicator, or sit on the top of the applicator and have to be absorbed into the applicator? I think that scenario will answer my question. :)

rwright
01-31-2010, 01:27 PM
I just walked downstairs and checked my bottle, it appears to be real thick and not watery. I checked my bottle of DP Wheel Cleaner and it is like you said, watery and not gel like. I also checked my bottle of P21S Gel Wheel cleaner, it's a lot thicker than the DP but not like Opti Bond for obvious reasons. I can't wait to try all 3, stupid snow.

WRAPT C5Z06
01-31-2010, 01:29 PM
I just walked downstairs and checked my bottle, it appears to be real thick and not watery. I checked my bottle of DP Wheel Cleaner and it is like you said, watery and not gel like. I also checked my bottle of P21S Gel Wheel cleaner, it's a lot thicker than the DP but not like Opti Bond for obvious reasons. I can't wait to try all 3, stupid snow.
Perfect answer, thanks!!! :props:

rwright
01-31-2010, 01:32 PM
No problem! You may want to check out the Product Review section, lot's of good reviews over there. Here's one from Shawn at Sully's Detailing when he reviewed the DP Wheel Gel:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/22758-dp-wheel-gel.html

ASPHALT ROCKET
01-31-2010, 01:57 PM
Tire bond is all I use, it sits on the applicator. It dries so you will not have any tire sling.

WRAPT C5Z06
01-31-2010, 02:06 PM
Tire bond is all I use, it sits on the applicator. It dries so you will not have any tire sling.
Cool. I'm gonna buy some of this stuff.

christian900se
01-31-2010, 05:08 PM
It is inbetween a runny dressing like 303 protectant and a thick gel like Megs Endurance. In my opinion, it is the perfect medium and applies very easily. I find it lasts about a week in the rain, and I also use it on my exterior trim since it does a great job. It is also dilutable and can be layered for more or less shine depending on your preference.

The only thing I can recommend when applying it to trim is to apply sparingly!

A4 1.8tqm
01-31-2010, 05:12 PM
Cool. I'm gonna buy some of this stuff.

You shall not be disappointed, it is a great product!

ScottB
01-31-2010, 05:55 PM
Its a great product indeed, but I think of it more as a lotion in consistency.

WRAPT C5Z06
01-31-2010, 06:50 PM
It is inbetween a runny dressing like 303 protectant and a thick gel like Megs Endurance. In my opinion, it is the perfect medium and applies very easily. I find it lasts about a week in the rain, and I also use it on my exterior trim since it does a great job. It is also dilutable and can be layered for more or less shine depending on your preference.

The only thing I can recommend when applying it to trim is to apply sparingly!
When applying to tires undiluted(1st layer), would you consider it a low gloss, matte finish?

Old Tiger
01-31-2010, 07:23 PM
Its a great product indeed, but I think of it more as a lotion in consistency.

Opti-Bond is very much like a lotion. BTW I have not tried PS21 Wheel Gel, but the Gels I have tried I would consider liquids with decent dwell time. I have tried WG, 4 Star and DP. You can spray a mist with all. I like the new AG ketchup bottle to dispense Opti-Bond on my tire dressing applicator, It is too thick to mist.

Old Tiger
01-31-2010, 07:30 PM
When applying to tires undiluted(1st layer), would you consider it a low gloss, matte finish?
Low gloss IMO. It is not as matte as 303 or FK. Ultima makes a nice tire & trim dressing too, but Opti-Bond is my favorite.

ASPHALT ROCKET
01-31-2010, 07:31 PM

It is slightly more than a matte finish, I wouldn't say it has a high gloss at all. Look at the 03 Cobra I did in the show and shine, I used Tire bond on the tires.

Rsurfer
01-31-2010, 07:34 PM
Opti Bond Gel is the only tire dressing I use and believe me I've used a lot of different brands.

WRAPT C5Z06
02-04-2010, 02:27 PM
Those who have diluted 1:1, did it affect durabilty? Love the look of striaght gel, but I think it would be easier to apply spraying it on an applicator and much more efficent.