PDA

View Full Version : Four Start Detailing Clay BOGO

Kurt_s
01-30-2010, 05:13 PM
Has anyone tried the four star detailing clay? It's on BOGO and I was thinking about picking up more clay to work on 2 newer cars. I want something that cleans quickly and thoroughly and I always polish/clean and wax after claying, so I don't worry about removing wax.

I used the yellow megs clay in the past (now only used for wheel clean up and soon into the trash) and recently bought a Megs clay kit with the white clay. These are the only two clay product that I've tried. I'm not convinced that the new Megs white clay cleaned as well because I couldn't compare them directly. I noticed that I didn't quite get all (missed a few dots) of the fallout before recent swirl removal and polishing on one project.

I think that I might want a little more aggressive clay than the new Megs white clay, but hopefully one of you can direct me towards the best option.

I also heard in passing that some clays deteriorate because of the lube being used. Any truth to it? Choices, choices, choices?

Thanks!

Lasthope05
01-30-2010, 08:55 PM
I have the 4* clay. Its your standard mild claybar. It is more agressive than the megs white(very gentle) and some pretty sticky stuff. It works pretty much as well as other clays on its level.

Kurt_s
01-30-2010, 09:25 PM
Hey Lasthope05,
Would you recommend a different everyday clay than the 4* or megs white in the kit as I don't care about striping wax?

I want a clay to quickly clean the paint before polishing and waxing. I spent a long time claying my 528 wagon with the megs white, and it was clayed last summer.

I was also recently told to use something other than the Megs QD if I wanted the clay to hold up. Favorite lube?

Thanks!

Lasthope05
01-30-2010, 09:43 PM
If your car was fairly contaminated I can see how you would spend a long time claying your car with megs white. If you are going to be polishing the car before waxing you should just use an aggressive clay to speed up the claying process. An aggressive clay will pick up contaminates faster but leave slight marring (the polish will clear this up.)

For regular claying I would just stick to a mild claybar. Its a perfect medium where its not so agressive it will marr paint and not too gentle where it'll take forever.

Technically speaking all clays are the same with different grades of aggressiveness. To me they all work similarly so its all personal preference to what brand you use. 4* Clay is a pretty good deal on bogo, so if you are in need of clay go for it.

For clay lube I just use ONR. Megs QD will not deteriorate your clay. You dont need to worry about it deteriorating unless your using APC as a lube or dish soap.

Kurt_s
01-30-2010, 10:25 PM
Sounds like Four Star bogo is the good deal.

ONR = Optimum No Rinse? I've never used a no rinse product either so this could be a whole new world for me.

Thanks!

:urtheman:

Focus2069
01-30-2010, 11:51 PM
try the ONR...i just got some a few days ago and used it...it freeking rocks, i will be buying a 128 oz jug of it.

havent used it as a clay lube yet, though, because I got a big ass bottle of Megs QD (32 oz) from autozone for 7 bucks.