PDA

View Full Version : Tire Dressings. How to apply? Durability?

Kris R
01-30-2010, 09:11 AM
Hey guys,

Been reading a lot about tire dressings. I was tempted to go with the Optimum opti-bond tire gel but I get so many mixed reviews.

Right now I am using Meguiars Hyperdressing diluted down to a MAtte/Semi-gloss.

I like the stuff but its so thick and blue and hard to get on. I absolutely love it for trim.

First question; seeing how this is water based and so is opti-bond tire gel, could I spray this on using the Optimum tire sprayer that connects to an air-hose?? If so that would be awesome!

Being that this is water based durability after a rain is always somewhat of an issue. Im looking for a tire dressing that has good durability and Im looking to use it on customers cars.

I just feel like when i see a customers car a few days to a week later and it still looks good I get kind of embarrassed when the tires are already dull like I never touched them at all. It seems a lot of product that has durability also has too much gloss.

I was thinking about the ALL WEATHER MEGS DETAILER dressing....but its only sold in gallons and I cant get a straight answer on shine level or durability through rain.

Lets get a vote going on what we all use for tire dressing and lets consider spray application. :xyxthumbs:

loudog2
01-30-2010, 10:09 AM
I use wolfgang's black diamond tire gel. It is usually a little pricey. But go to the speacial values page on Autogeek's store. It is discounted big time at the bottom of the page. Those are pretty good prices and it last a while.

Save with these special values and sale prices on Autogeek car care products and kits! Close Out Prices (http://autogeek.net/specialvalues.html)

Jenn1270
01-30-2010, 12:17 PM
I use wolfgang's black diamond tire gel. It is usually a little pricey. But go to the speacial values page on Autogeek's store. It is discounted big time at the bottom of the page. Those are pretty good prices and it last a while.

Save with these special values and sale prices on Autogeek car care products and kits! Close Out Prices (http://autogeek.net/specialvalues.html)

I LOVE the wolfgang's as well. I got it on BOGO and it was the same price as the DP.

I've for that it stays shiny (the way I like it) and then after the nasty rains we have had lately it has stayed a nice matte finish. It has been on about 3 weeks now with alot of rain.

1986mustanggt
01-30-2010, 12:28 PM
I use Megs Hot shine gel. I put it on with a brush. Looks great!

christian900se
01-30-2010, 08:22 PM
I personally love Opti-bond, and apply it with a cotton applicator pad as I find it is easier to get a nice streak-free finish with that. For a gel like Megs Endurance, I use a foam tire shine applicator that you can buy from autogeek after cutting it in half.

Some very runny dressings are better suited for a brush, but those are not as common.

Kurt_s
01-30-2010, 10:15 PM
I am thinking about new tire treatments too. I don't like Megs Endurance as it is too shiny for me and seemed to sling. I am a natural tire look kind of guy!

I've been using OG ERV for a bunch of years and the tires stay black, streak free and mat for months after 1-2 applications. However, even though I wipe the tires down, I sometimes see dark water spots on my white lower quarter panels paint after running through puddles.

I'm not convinced that it's the ERV as it is a clear liquid, but the applicator can become pretty dirty over time. I actually think that it's brake dust and dirt that is cleaned off by the ERV. I just bought a new tire brush to really scrub the tires and a ton of black grime transferred to the bristles. I have not figured out how to clean the bristles yet. One week and a wash, and the dark spots seem to diminish.

Is there something better out there????

christian900se
01-30-2010, 10:49 PM
I am thinking about new tire treatments too. I don't like Megs Endurance as it is too shiny for me and seemed to sling. I am a natural tire look kind of guy!

If Endurance slinged on you, you used too much. Basically, almost any tire shine can be made to look matte if you adjust your method of application. However; many newer dressings are water based which means you can dilute it for that matte look depending on your preference. I really like Opti-bond as it leaves an awesome finish that is just enough to let you know something is there but does not have anything more than a subtle sheen to it.

Kurt_s
01-30-2010, 11:03 PM
Opti-bond. Good reco.

Since I have a bunch of Endurance, can it be diluted too?

Thanks!

wytstang
01-30-2010, 11:32 PM

:iagree:100%

Pie
01-31-2010, 09:29 PM
I use Pinnacles Black Onyx Gel. It's easy to apply and looks great. It lasted 10-12 days with ~3 days of rain (only 1 application).

mad992
02-01-2010, 03:18 AM
ive just bought some D P ill see how that goes

VR8
02-01-2010, 08:25 AM
Meguiar's All Season Dressing ... because it has silicone; it LASTS. It's also shiny IF you put it on heavy. Matte finish? Just wipe with an old terry cloth about 5 minutes after you apply it. Also, the All Season Dressing is terrific in the wheel wells. Quick and easy to spray on from a spray bottle.

I like Hyper Dressing for the interior. Being water based it just doesn't last outside. However you can Hyper the engine bay parts.

sullysdetailing
02-01-2010, 09:05 AM
Wolfgang is great apply let it soak into the tires then wipe it will last weeks.

Megs Hyper Dressing 2:1 is also great

Kris R
02-01-2010, 04:04 PM
I am really interested in the Optimum sprayer for your air line. Does anyone else actually apply dressing to their wheels, wheel wells, engines with this? I like the even spray potential and the conservation of product. Can i use this sprayer with other products?

SouthernStyles
02-01-2010, 10:03 PM
Right now I am using Meguiars Hyperdressing diluted down to a MAtte/Semi-gloss.

I like the stuff but its so thick and blue and hard to get on.

Your HD is thick? i use mine 1:1 and its terribly runny! its like water pretty much