PDA

View Full Version : Snow removal (on the car)

eyecandy
01-29-2010, 05:30 PM
Not sure if this is the right section, but would do you guys use or recommend to remove the snow from the car? I am looking to pick up one of those Icemaster scrappers (for windows), and thought about buying a longer boar's hair brush to remove the snow off the panels, in PA we need to remove the all snow/ice from the car. How would a boar's hair brush work, I figure its soft enough to not harm the finish, since some use it to wash, but is it too soft that it would not remove the snow?

Thanks for the help!

sparkie
01-29-2010, 06:30 PM
Interesting question. I can't tell you, because we don't get much snow down here. We are getting it now..Dang climate change...LOL...
Maybe one of our northern brother will chime in and let you know..

Matt S.
01-29-2010, 06:46 PM
Check out this write-up that OCDetails did on the Snow Mover :)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/22219-snow-mover-personal-snow-plow.html

emaxxman
01-29-2010, 06:51 PM
On Thursday, NJ got hit with about 2 inches where I was. The snow was very light so I cleaned both of my cars with a leaf blower. I may try to do that moving forward.

IMO, it's not the brush you have to worry about but the dirt and grime on the body of the paint that slides off with the snow. I have a black car now and will probably hit the self-service car wash before each expected snow storm to get the big stuff off of the paint. I'll combine that with the leaf blower and really only the windows with a brush.

In the past, I've pushed the snow off with a snow brush but I don't let the brush touch the car.

eyecandy
01-30-2010, 12:39 AM
On Thursday, NJ got hit with about 2 inches where I was. The snow was very light so I cleaned both of my cars with a leaf blower. I may try to do that moving forward.

IMO, it's not the brush you have to worry about but the dirt and grime on the body of the paint that slides off with the snow. I have a black car now and will probably hit the self-service car wash before each expected snow storm to get the big stuff off of the paint. I'll combine that with the leaf blower and really only the windows with a brush.

In the past, I've pushed the snow off with a snow brush but I don't let the brush touch the car.

How about when you are out an about and the snow falls... carry your leaf blower :) lol Right now I do what you did in the past, remove it without the bristles touching the paint.

emaxxman
01-30-2010, 12:47 AM
How about when you are out an about and the snow falls... carry your leaf blower :) lol Right now I do what you did in the past, remove it without the bristles touching the paint.

It's gas powered so I guess I could.Im the MAN

Shane731
01-30-2010, 12:50 AM
I'm thinking about getting me one of these:

OXO Extendable Twister Snow Brush, oxo snow and ice remover, OXO Twister Snow and Ice Brush (http://www.autogeek.net/oxo-extendable-snow-brush.html)

DonMTV
01-30-2010, 02:05 AM
I bought the 10" Boars Hair brush with the telescoping handle. I accidentally broke the handle and ordered a new one. Meghan asked if I was using the brush dry or wet. I told her I was using it dry. She said it might harm the paint. I have used it to take the snow off. I figure I will be doing a detail in the spring so it doesn't matter. I don't see too much damage so far.

LSwut
01-30-2010, 09:51 AM
the key to safe snow removal is making sure your paints clean before it snows. no matter what you use to remove the snow it can still cause marring if there is salt or dirt below it. i power wash my car at the coin-op car wash down the street then onr it at my house. its a never ending battle tho.

poonamt93
02-05-2010, 01:06 AM
I've used a plastic case from a cassette tape. It actually worked quite well, Really.