PDA

View Full Version : $125 wax. What for??

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Kris R
01-28-2010, 06:15 PM
I've been wondering this for a while. Ive been reading alot about Colinite (sp?) waxes the past few days. And i started thinking (dangerous I know) what is it that people want in a wax?

Durability is nice. A lot of effort goes into polishing and then protecting with wax and it would be nice if all that effort lasted a while. Colinite has great durability and its been around a while.

People that are die hard wax users over sealant users claim that Wax produces a warm shiny glow. Obviously we want that.

So Fuzion and Souveran paste....why so much??? What is so special about this wax? Does it apply itself?? Or is it a mental thing because it comes in a cool box? I've used a few waxes that are around 30-40 bucks that would be pretty hard to beat. But 4 times that price? Please explain. Because I could layer a vehicle with 1 coat of sealant and 2 coats of wax and produce an absolute gem.

ScottB
01-28-2010, 06:35 PM
Fuzion and Souveran are about the best waxes offered here and compete well against others costing far, far more. That said, it comes down to the end user and what they want to spend and what they are looking for in a wax. It is certainly ok to like any wax at any price point, and nobody is right when saying your wrong.

Kris R
01-28-2010, 06:57 PM
Fuzion and Souveran are about the best waxes offered here and compete well against others costing far, far more. That said, it comes down to the end user and what they want to spend and what they are looking for in a wax. It is certainly ok to like any wax at any price point, and nobody is right when saying your wrong.

Ok still, that doesnt answer my question. When you have a wax thats 100% carnuba + the additives that make it usable and already has decent durrability why the need for wax thats hundreds of dollars?

My question is what is it about these waxes that justify the cost? More shine? More durability? if so how much? Can you look at a colinite wax job vs a 100+ dollar wax job and say "Oh wow that one is the expensive one?"

I really want to know.

Blake's Mobile Detailing
01-28-2010, 07:02 PM
I havent tried them yet but a couple of days ago i ordered the mini tin of fuzion, still havent tried my natty blue yet and am getting the free tin of DP max wax. I will try to test on a body panel and do a right up on the results. I am hoping the fuzion is as good as they say. Also got some Souveran spray wax on bogo.

O an for the record I will use the same polish on this body panel and tape off each section. I will also use some megs cleaner wax and mothers cleaner wax. Hope someone is looking forward to this experiment.

WRAPT C5Z06
01-28-2010, 07:09 PM
After a lot of researching, I've come to my own conclusion that polishing is what gives the shine and gloss. Wax is for durability. I've used Souveran, Fuzion, etc...and recently used Collinite 915. I'll take the $30 collinite 915(which has a high amount of carnauba), over those expensive waxes any day. Why? The cheaper wax last a lot longer, and I can't tell the difference in looks. Maybe it's my untrained eye??

ASPHALT ROCKET
01-28-2010, 07:18 PM
Ok still, that doesnt answer my question. When you have a wax thats 100% carnuba + the additives that make it usable and already has decent durrability why the need for wax thats hundreds of dollars?

My question is what is it about these waxes that justify the cost? More shine? More durability? if so how much? Can you look at a colinite wax job vs a 100+ dollar wax job and say "Oh wow that one is the expensive one?"

I really want to know.

No wax is 100% nuba. Now the higher the nuba content the more expensive it is. The more expensive wax is more durable and makes washing a car that much easier. Even in the rain the water pretty much just falls off the car.

Do they make the car look better, no, if the paint is polished correctly the lsp is only there to protect your hard work.

Since I have a most of the high end waxes I will honestly tell you that it does not make the car look any different but when it comes to washing it makes a difference and the durability is that much better also due to the nuba content.

evilwrx
01-28-2010, 07:21 PM
O an for the record I will use the same polish on this body panel and tape off each section. I will also use some megs cleaner wax and mothers cleaner wax. Hope someone is looking forward to this experiment.

I am!!:xyxthumbs:

WRAPT C5Z06
No wax is 100% nuba. Now the higher the nuba content the more expensive it is. The more expensive wax is more durable and makes washing a car that much easier. Even in the rain the water pretty much just falls off the car.

Do they make the car look better, no, if the paint is polished correctly the lsp is only there to protect your hard work.

Since I have a most of the high end waxes I will honestly tell you that it does not make the car look any different but when it comes to washing it makes a difference and the durability is that much better also due to the nuba content.
The durability of Collinite is right there if not better than the expensive waxes, so why buy the expensive waxes? Kind of begs the same question as the OP.

Gunslinger
I look for certain qualities when buying a wax...does it give the appearance I want? Is it durable? Is it reasonable in cost? Everything is a compromise, but I wouldn't be here on this forum if I didn't want what was best for my cars that best fit my criteria.

I have my favorites...like all of us.

As has been said before...the secret is in the preparation. Do that correctly and even the most inexpensive brand wax will look good. Don't prepare the finish correctly and the most expensive wax will disappoint.

ASPHALT ROCKET
01-28-2010, 07:24 PM
The durability of Collinite is right there if not better than the expensive waxes, so why buy the expensive waxes? Kind of begs the same question as the OP.

Totally disagree with you on this, unless you are just talking about Souveran or Fuzion. A wax in that price range, Rubbish Boys O.E. has more durability than Collinite.

PAR Detailing
01-28-2010, 07:27 PM
I firmly believe its the process before the wax that makes the car look beautiful. A wax just enhances and protects what you have done prior to it. And I agree that you dont need to drop a few C-notes on a wax to get a car to look great and turn heads, but on the other hand beauty is in the eye of the beholder and if someone wants to and has the resources to buy an expensive wax then I will be the last person to say they shouldnt. I personally wont spend more than ~$30 give or take a buck or two on a wax. I love maxwax and I think it produces everything I am looking for and more. The same goes for sealants for me too.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and should do what makes them happy, because at the end of the day their opinion is what really matters. And as they sit with a beer admiring the work theyve done on their car they should always be happy with their labors.
Just my opinion,
Jon

loudog2
01-28-2010, 07:27 PM
Some waxes do help the appearance. I can tell the difference between supernatural and P21S 100%, and a few others. Though it is subtle. I can't tell the difference between natty's red and souveran. Though one lasts 2 weeks the other 3 weeks(both not too long). It is all in the prep. Otherwise it's like Obama said "it's like putting lipstick on a pig"

WRAPT C5Z06
01-28-2010, 07:28 PM
Totally disagree with you on this, unless you are just talking about Souveran or Fuzion. A wax in that price range, Rubbish Boys O.E. has more durability than Collinite.
I should have worded it differently. I'm talking Souveran/Fuzion price range.

loudog2
01-28-2010, 07:29 PM
:iagree:RBOE is almost bullet proof, and looks great.

Kris R
01-28-2010, 07:33 PM
thanks for the responses...its pretty much what I thought. In a blind taste test i doubt you are seeing much difference in a top of the line 30 dollar wax and a 125 dollar wax.

thanks