PDA

View Full Version : Why do polishing pads last longer than cutting pads?

WRAPT C5Z06
01-28-2010, 05:34 PM
Lets take orange and white LC pad's. Assuming you use 6 orange pads per car, you could probably get away with using 3 white pads for the same car. Same speed setting for both. So, why do the polishing pads last longer?

There might be a very obvious answer that I'm overlooking?

Mike Phillips
01-28-2010, 05:49 PM
If you're using more aggressive product then the products themselves are a factor.

Also, when doing correction work you'll tend to use more pressure against your buffer against the paint.

The correction step is almost always the longest step in a multi-part process while the polishing will tend to go faster and the application of your LSP will go the fastest.

:)

WRAPT C5Z06
01-28-2010, 05:58 PM
If you're using more aggressive product then the products themselves are a factor.

Also, when doing correction work you'll tend to use more pressure against your buffer against the paint.

The correction step is almost always the longest step in a multi-part process while the polishing will tend to go faster and the application of your LSP will go the fastest.

:)
Logically, I thought the same things you mentioned, but I wasn't sure.

Thanks

cobraa
01-28-2010, 11:09 PM
Lets take orange and white LC pad's. Assuming you use 6 orange pads per car, you could probably get away with using 3 white pads for the same car. Same speed setting for both. So, why do the polishing pads last longer?

There might be a very obvious answer that I'm overlooking?

WHAT!? 6 pad per car.. wow body. your doing something wrong.

WRAPT C5Z06
01-28-2010, 11:23 PM
Actually, I'm not doing anything wrong. I use a new pad for every panel. Call me crazy, but it's a personal preference.

WHAT!? 6 pad per car.. wow body. your doing something wrong.

ASPHALT ROCKET
01-28-2010, 11:55 PM
Actually, I'm not doing anything wrong. I use a new pad for every panel. Call me crazy, but it's a personal preference.

You are doing just fine like you said, I go through a ton of pads when I detail a car myself.

WRAPT C5Z06
01-29-2010, 01:10 AM
You are doing just fine like you said, I go through a ton of pads when I detail a car myself.
:cool:

sullysdetailing
01-29-2010, 10:18 AM
I use to go through a ton a pads myself but the pad washer does miracles

O.C.Detailing
02-04-2010, 09:25 AM
John and I actually clean our pads 3-4 times each during a full detail. I cycle through 3 orange CCS pads, so I'll use one, clean it, lay it out to dry a bit and grab a clean one and rinse and repeat. Nothing worse than trying to use M105 with a damp pad though...that compound is SO hard to remove when your pad is wet.

cnfowler
02-17-2010, 08:30 PM

Heck, I use a brand new pad out of the package for each 16"x16" section. The pad is only used for one pass and then thrown away. If I do multiple steps on a vehicle, I can end up using over 100 pads easily. I throw out garbage bags full of pads every week.

Ha Ha. Gotcha. :laughing:

Colin

stove937
02-17-2010, 10:05 PM
Heck, I use a brand new pad out of the package for each 16"x16" section. The pad is only used for one pass and then thrown away. If I do multiple steps on a vehicle, I can end up using over 100 pads easily. I throw out garbage bags full of pads every week.
Colin

I was about to say that we'd have to put together a deal, send me the pads for shipping plus a few bucks!
Im the MAN

cnfowler
02-17-2010, 10:45 PM
I was about to say that we'd have to put together a deal, send me the pads for shipping plus a few bucks!
Im the MAN

:D I couldn't help myself. I need to find someone like that, too!

Colin