PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning and polishing inside of an emblem that won't come off

arkus
01-27-2010, 01:29 AM
The car is a C5 Corvette vert. I'm looking for tips on cleaning and polishing around and inside the rear trunk cross flags emblem and front one as well . This thread can apply to any emblem that's hard to detail.

Rsurfer
01-27-2010, 02:10 AM
The car is a C5 Corvette vert. I'm looking for tips on cleaning and polishing around and inside the rear trunk cross flags emblem and front one as well . This thread can apply to any emblem that's hard to detail.A good mild APC for cleaning. Foam Sticks, Q tips and a plastic putty knife inside a mf.

detaildave
01-27-2010, 06:59 AM
A good mild APC for cleaning. Foam Sticks, Q tips and a plastic putty knife inside a mf.

:iagree:

Mike Phillips
01-27-2010, 11:46 AM
First thing I would do is see if the black plastic exterior is burned through on the edges by the detailers before you and document it and/or show the owner so he knows you didn't do it. This is pretty common because it's easy to do if a detailer uses a rotary buffer and buffs on the edges. The exterior of the emblem is black and the plastic underneath it is white, so it shows up like a sore thumb.

I think these are removed using fishing string and the best way to polish the paint around and inside the emblem is to remove it and do your polishing work and then replace it. I've never done this as most customer's didn't want to pay for the time and work involved in doing this and if it's more or less a daily driver I didn't blame them, I'm just saying that's the 'best' way to get the surrounding paint swirl and scratch free.

Of course if it's not going to be taken care of meticulously then it wouldn't matter to do all this work anyways.

What I've always done is to use a quality cleaner wax and a small piece of foam cut off a normal foam applicator pad and did the best I can do to clean and polish the paint around and inside the emblem and then painstakingly removed all the residue I left behind and all the guys that have left residue in these hard to detail areas before me.

TOGW = The Other Guy's Wax (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/21283-togw-other-guy-s-wax.html)

Unless you're doing a Show Car Detail, do a good job so it looks nice but remember when detailing most cars,

Major on the majors and minor on the minors...

:)

arkus
01-27-2010, 01:25 PM
Thanks Mike for the tips .

Mike Phillips
01-27-2010, 01:59 PM
The emblems on the C4 and C5 Corvettes are probably the most annoying parts of these cars to deal with.

:)