PDA

View Full Version : Which pad?

superwhite
01-26-2010, 10:57 PM
I have the Lake country orange, white and blue pads. I used them in that order with Wolfgangang TSW, Glaze, Enhancer then sealant. I have read about pads with cutting ability which I assume means removing a small layer of paint while others say they remove swirls with no cutting ability, how do they do that? For general maintenance after the initial "clean up" I'm thinking that's mostly what I'll need; to only remove light swirls or marks without removing or cutting paint. I was considering the Lake Country gray pad for that but I welcome some help with this simple yet confusing choice.

Feed back please

Bunky
01-27-2010, 07:13 PM
In order to physically remove swirls (not hiding them), you will remove a small amount of the upper layer of the paint.

You can select various pads (colors relate to abrasiveness) and polish to control how much of the paint is actually removed. It is all about abrasion.

Orange is the most aggressive pad (cut) you mentioned and the blue is the least (no abrasiveness or cut). The pad cut is determined by the stiffness/porosity and by technique (machine, downward pressure). Polishes also have various degrees of abrasiveness.

You should use the least aggressive method as possible to minimize removing paint.

If you wanted some routine to remove the occasional light swirls like you get from washing/drying once a year, a gray pad (almost no cut) and the WG Glaze (a finishing polish) could perk up the gloss and do some minimal correction. But, it depends on the machine (PC or Flex), the hardness of your paint, etc.

What kind of vehicle do you have?

superwhite
01-28-2010, 12:08 AM
I have a 2007 white Tundra and a Pc buffer.

superd
02-26-2010, 10:38 AM
I am considering the WG swirl remover system as well. Any thoughts on switching out the orange pad on the first step and going with the white since it's less aggressive? 2nd step white pad, 3rd step red pad. I watched the video Mike Phillips did and it looks like the orange pad did well with the swirl remover 3.0, however I feel like my paint (white) isn't in that bad of shape. After the TSR system I was going to lay down a nice coat of either Pinnicle or WG carnuba.

It looks like the last post was on 1-27-10.......if you've finished detailing what were your results?

superwhite
02-26-2010, 08:45 PM
It came out excellent! Mine had many swirl marks and scratches but its my intent to now use the pads you have suggested for the same reason. Since I now have a realtivity "clean" finish I will do the same. Again the results are stunning!! Mine too is white and I couldn't be happier!

superd
02-28-2010, 09:00 AM
Thats awesome, did the white pad with the WG swirl remover 3.0 smooth out he finish and give it the depth and clarity D.O.I. (definition of image) that Mike discussed in some of his videos?

Also, you're Tundra has a lot of surafce space to cover as does my Denali. How many pads did you use during each application? I'm getting ready to order. Never did a vehicle this large, might start training at the gym 2x per day to get ready!

superwhite
02-28-2010, 08:57 PM
Thats awesome, did the white pad with the WG swirl remover 3.0 smooth out he finish and give it the depth and clarity D.O.I. (definition of image) that Mike discussed in some of his videos?

Also, you're Tundra has a lot of surafce space to cover as does my Denali. How many pads did you use during each application? I'm getting ready to order. Never did a vehicle this large, might start training at the gym 2x per day to get ready!

If you are refering to the video on the cd they released then I'd have to say its hard to tell since the vehicle they used as an example was a dark color but we all have have different levels of "pickeness". But considering white I'd say its as good as one could possiblty expect. I used three pads but on some panels I did more than once to get the finish and gloss I wanted. Please let me know if you have any more questions or if I can help in any way. I have some pics but its too large for this forum and I'm not savy enough to know how to attatch it. Maybe I could do it thru e-mail?:buffing:

Troy@Protekt
02-28-2010, 09:09 PM
I have some pics but its too large for this forum and I'm not savy enough to know how to attatch it. Msybe I could do it thru e-mail?:buffing:

Free Online Picture Resizer - Crop and Resize photos, images, or pictures online for FREE! (http://www.picresize.com/)

This site is a pretty easy way to re-size your pics.

sparkie
02-28-2010, 09:40 PM
All I did was right click (copy the pic and paste)... Nice truck...
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/wool-foam-buffing-pads/attachment.php?attachmentid=5711&d=1267235100 (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5711&d=1267235100)

Mike Phillips
03-01-2010, 10:33 AM
Free Online Picture Resizer - Crop and Resize photos, images, or pictures online for FREE! (http://www.picresize.com/)

This site is a pretty easy way to re-size your pics.

Thanks for sharing the link to that website, that's a very handy little tool.

:dblthumb2:

Mike Phillips
03-01-2010, 11:15 AM
If you are refering to the video on the cd they released

Here's the new one...

How to Remove Swirls with the Porter Cable 7424XP (http://www.palmbeachmotoring.net/ascg-videos/porter-2-20-10.html)

:)

Mike Phillips
03-01-2010, 11:17 AM

Close... :xyxthumbs:

DOI = Distinction of Image

It's how clearly an image is reflected. A mirror would be 100%

:)

superwhite
03-01-2010, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the tip and links!