PDA

View Full Version : I think the clear coat is coming off!!

XterraOverload
10-10-2006, 07:55 PM
http://www.reecephoto.smugmug.com/photos/101600689-O.jpgThis is my dads car ............... very poor shape .
I think all the white stuff is the clear coat coming off. Is there anything I can do about it I was going to hit it with a cutting pad yellow edge pad or a wool and some heavy cut Megs.
I just want to salvage it as much as possible.
The inside looks just as bad I'm ordering him some new carpet and there is a lot of work to do on the inside.
He cant afford to repaint so I'm just going to do what I can.
Any suggestions???
I'll probably work on it this coming weekend if all my PC and other stuff makes it here by then.
Thanks................Jeff
http://www.reecephoto.smugmug.com/photos/101600709-O.jpg

ScottB
10-10-2006, 07:57 PM
once the clearcoat fails, little you can do to salvage it. You will see it start on tops first, and sometimes can save the sides. Visiting a place like Maaco can usually paint the tops cheap and blend into the sides. Not the best work, but clearly better than nothing.

XterraOverload
10-10-2006, 08:02 PM
I had some photos but they didnt post grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr I'll have to work on that!
Thanks killr

XterraOverload
10-13-2006, 05:46 AM
I think I'll just I think I'll just wash, clay, polish, and wax this car.
Looks like there's not much to for for cc failure. Oh well maybe in a few years he will repaint!

Reddwarf
10-13-2006, 08:00 AM
Please post before and after pics! It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

XterraOverload
10-13-2006, 08:05 AM
Please post before and after pics! It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

Will do!

FloridaNative
10-13-2006, 08:07 AM
Wow!! I'm with Killer on the repaint. There's no way to salvage that.

XterraOverload
10-13-2006, 08:12 AM
I know but he still drives it and will not spend the money at this time to repaint it.
The inside is really sad also. So I'm going to try and fix it up as much as I can...
Still wont look good by any means but its better than nothing!

FloridaNative
10-13-2006, 08:15 AM
It will be a good car for you to practice on. Good luck honey. I'd like to see the after pics too.

XterraOverload
10-13-2006, 09:05 AM
It will be a good car for you to practice on. Good luck honey. I'd like to see the after pics too.
Yep and thats the plan!! I'm going to do his car and his truck (whick is in a little better shape but not much) I'll practice on those and then venture over to mine.
Want to get a little experance under my belt first before I try touching my baby!
Thanks And I'll be posting plenty of before and afters!!

Craig
10-13-2006, 12:45 PM
The primer is showing. There is no amount of polish, sealer, wax or anything else that will bring it back. Getting the hood repainted for @ 250.00- 300.00 is the only way to fix that.

joe.p
10-13-2006, 02:12 PM
I think the clear coat is coming off!! ...........yep