PDA

View Full Version : Distracted by Shiny Objects in SoCal

Shiner
01-25-2010, 12:44 PM
Hello, Guys,

Thanks for having me in your forum. I've been a car detailer for some years now, but at present more specifically into the restoration of vintage automotive bright metal trim. My site is Shine on Me - Automotive Trim Restoration (http://www.shineonmetrim.com).

I'm currently looking for a killer satin black trim paint. Still haven't found the perfect product that flows right, either airbrushable or aerosol. Any opinions on either Werth, Sem, or Krylon? Primarily over anodized aluminum, but also over stainless and chrome in some cases. Narrow niche question, granted, but if you've had experience/success in this area, please respond!

Shiner

Shane731
01-25-2010, 02:09 PM
:welcome: to the dark side...er, I mean, the wonderful world of Autogeek!

Impressions
01-25-2010, 03:04 PM
I've used Krylon and Dupli-color over chrome and uncoated metals.
I used an acid etch primer first, sand, clean, paint and clear if needed

I used this process on some wheel spinners that the client wanted the same color as the truck. they came out awesome....sorry no pics yet but the paint has held up well for the last 8 months, no chipping or pealing

oh yea.....welcome to the shiny side

DLB
01-25-2010, 03:59 PM
Welcome to Autogeek!

Wurth - I have never tried their paint on unfinished metal, but everything I have ever tried from them has been of excellent quality!

SEM - Never tried their products, but have heard good things about them.

Krylon...who hasn't.

Like Impressions - I have used the Dupli-Color. I painted some unfinished aluminum wheels with their wheel paint, and it did pretty fair. I did scuff (Scotch Brite) then prime them however.

DLB

Shiner
01-25-2010, 06:38 PM
Thanks to all of your responses, I'm feeling right at home! I actually liked the older Krylon before the newer product replaced. It's a bit too "glisteny" for my tastes, which is why I prefer the Sem trim paint over the others I've tried.

I've also airbrushed quite a bit with the finer details, but am still looking for the right mix. After working with various enamels, these seem not to hold up to the exterior elements as well as the others. Fine for interior dash plastic details, etc., but not for the harsher environments. I'd prefer a good aerosol...yes, in a perfect world.

Appreciate all your feedback, guys,
Shiner
p.s. any way to download a picture or two?