PDA

View Full Version : How long do these sealants generally last...

Clutch34
01-25-2010, 12:01 AM
I'm looking into Meguiar's #20 (Polymer Sealant), Meguiar's #21 (Synthetic Sealant), and Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0.

I know there are varying factors, but was just looking for a ballpark time frame. WG claims to last 6 months -- more or less depending on environment, of course. I want something that's durable and will last the longest as I plan to layer it with a carnauba wax on top.

Any product reviews will be appreciated. :)

Thanks!

Shane731
01-25-2010, 12:53 AM
Might try this thread:

Impressed with M20 durability - Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39640)

You can expect about 3 months or so from M21. Maybe 4 if you wash once a week or so and use something like UQD in between washes and UQW after washes. Mind you that you won't get the crazy water beading you did at the beginning but there will still be some protection on there. Can't help you with WG DGPS, sorry.

Clutch34
01-25-2010, 01:01 AM
Thanks for the link!

christian900se
01-25-2010, 02:14 AM
You will get about 4 months out of Wolfgang DGPS, give or take a month depending on the conditions the paint is subjected to. You can make either of those options last a lot longer if you either QD or use some spray wax after washing ever month or so. Either will last you the remainder of the winter though!

mackdaddyhibble
01-25-2010, 12:21 PM
If you do a search of this site you will see a review of Wolfgang 3.0.Im currently using megs #21,however before applying my carnauba I spray it with the Wolfgang Spray Sealant.I plan on trying Wolfgang 3.0 when I finish up the megs,but until then this combo is working for me .I do my car every 3-4 months and have no problems with it lasting that long.Now I do use Souveran Spray wax after a wash and Crystal Mist,when a QD is needed,during the warmer months I might throw a coat of Souveran or fuzion on every few weeks,so theres never a point where everything is stripped down and theres no protection,to me what ever you use you have to maintain,its a waste of you efforts washing ,claying and polishing only to sit back and think you're not going to do anything to keep the protection and shine.I last used megs #21 in October,I have one coat of collinites 476 and two of 845,its pouring outside right now and the beads are just rolling off the car.Id say if you have the bucks or catch one of the many discounts try the Wolfgang 3.0,but if not the megs #21 would probably serve you fine at half the price.Just remember to do your prep and maintenance.

Clutch34
01-25-2010, 04:53 PM
Mackdaddyhibble, you mentioned in your post that you "throw a coat of Souveran or fuzion on every few weeks". What's your process of adding on another coat of wax a few weeks/months after the initial application?

I mean like, do you just wash and apply wax, or wash, clay, wax, or QD, wax...or something else?

DLB
01-25-2010, 05:19 PM
I mean like, do you just wash and apply wax, or wash, clay, wax, or QD, wax...or something else?
I can't speak for above poster, but I will say you don't want to wash, clay, then wax if you are planning on keeping the sealant you put on. Claying will remove the sealant, and clean the paint back down to the clear coat.

I would say you would be safe in just a wash then wax topper "every few weeks".

DLB

Clutch34
01-25-2010, 05:37 PM
Cool, that's what I was thinking, too.

btw, love the avatar, DLB! haha

mackdaddyhibble
01-25-2010, 06:45 PM
I would say you would be safe in just a wash then wax topper "every few weeks".

DLB
Exactly DLB,and thats what I do.I don't see the need to clay each and every time I apply wax.If someone else chooses to fine,but I usually only clay when I plan to polish,seal add carnauba.Sorry Clutch34 if I didn't make that clear.Unfortunately the only way to keep that just waxed look,is to just wax.

cooksnj
01-25-2010, 06:53 PM
Exactly DLB,and thats what I do.I don't see the need to clay each and every time I apply wax.If someone else chooses to fine,but I usually only clay when I plan to polish,seal add carnauba.Sorry Clutch34 if I didn't make that clear.Unfortunately the only way to keep that just waxed look,is to just wax.

truer words have never been typed. that should be a motto or something.:xyxthumbs:

Clutch34
01-25-2010, 07:24 PM

Nah you're good man, I've never fully detailed a car before and am looking to attempt it in a month or so. I've heard many people say they "re-wax", just didn't know it was as simple as just waxing it again! lol Thought there might be a process before hand to get rid of any contaminants in between the initial wax/sealant step and re-wax step. Guess I'm just thinking too hard..haha

mackdaddyhibble
01-25-2010, 07:37 PM
OK,in that case you may want to take advantage of the Detailing How To's on this forum,they're pretty good.

Clutch34
01-25-2010, 07:57 PM
Oh yea, I know! I've watched and re-watched several of those videos!! :xyxthumbs: