PDA

View Full Version : quick tape question

NA709
01-24-2010, 06:26 PM
hi folks

hope everyone is having a good weekend.

few quick questions,

did my first clay and clean/polish today!! i think it went pretty well, however the sunlight caught up to me and it got dark before i could wax.

i still have the painters tape on it (3M blue) on it, do i need to take it off or will it be ok to stay on it for 24 hours until i can wax it.

also, question 2--i am applying Swirl X and DuraGloss 105 by hand with mf applicators.......do i really even need to tape??? are those products ok on the trim and headlights if they accidentally get on them??

thanks for the info. sure is a lot of work, but i am enjoying every minute of it.

-NA709

bigdawg
01-24-2010, 07:11 PM
If you are doing it by hand I wouldnt tape it off. Just take your time when you are close to the trim. As far as being safe I dont know maybe some one can chim in but if the trim is painted I dont see why not. I have left the blue tape on over night with no prob. It was inside the garage.

Kurt_s
01-24-2010, 10:12 PM
I recently left 3M blue tape on for a few days with no major issues but there was the inevitable clean up. I found the "delicate" painters tape came off easier.

If you pre-treat the trim with your favorite dressing before polishing and waxing, the polishes and wax should not stick to the trim and you won't need to tape. Good luck!

Frank787
01-24-2010, 10:19 PM
3M's website claims

Scotch-Blue™ Painter’s Tape for Delicate Surfaces – 2080

Removal time: 60 days
Adhesion level: Low

Scotch-Blue™ Painter’s Tape for Multi-Surfaces – 2090

Removal time: 14 days
Adhesion level: Medium

Kurt_s
01-24-2010, 11:06 PM
Home Depot had both the normal and delicate tapes on the shelf in December.

FYI...

I cleaned my anodized or black painted roof rack with OG Omega Glaze (which has no abrasives) to remove some tape markings as the tape seemed to marr the carnuba wax finish on the rack.

The Omega Glaze was in my stash while other detailers and diluted APCs didn't clean it up. I briefly tried isopropyl with little affect. I assume that a chemical paint pre-cleaner like the WG product or a cleaner/wax would do the same thing.