PDA

View Full Version : New Ride, Dealer Prep, and the detail rookie

baadussy
01-24-2010, 02:42 PM
First, this forum rocks.

I tried to search the best I could but here goes.

I just bought a 2010 Black on Black Cadillac SRX (I know black is the most difficult, but I love it). Before we bought the car I was on here for a couple weeks trolling, I actually bought the Pinnacle - Wolfgang Souveran kit a week before we bought the car so I would have it ready.

We bought the car straight off the factory truck Saturday night and the service center was not open. So, the car has not had any of the dealer prep and it is pretty filthy due to the rain, but we just had to drive it home that night.

The dealer wants me to bring it in on Monday so they can detail it. They also want to put a protective Zaktek (couldn't find any info on it) coating on it?

My questions are:
1. Should I let them wash the outside?
2. Should I let them wash the outside and apply their coating?

I was thinking I should be a man and was it myself.

Here is my list if I do it my elf:
1. Wash
2. Clay
3. Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer
4. Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant
5. 12hrs of rest
6. Souveran

I will be doing this all by hand because I am too much of a wimp to take the machine to it right now.

Any help or inputs would be greatly appreciated. I will post my pics and progress along the way

gewb
01-24-2010, 03:24 PM
First, this forum rocks.

I tried to search the best I could but here goes.

I just bought a 2010 Black on Black Cadillac SRX (I know black is the most difficult, but I love it). Before we bought the car I was on here for a couple weeks trolling, I actually bought the Pinnacle - Wolfgang Souveran kit a week before we bought the car so I would have it ready.

We bought the car straight off the factory truck Saturday night and the service center was not open. So, the car has not had any of the dealer prep and it is pretty filthy due to the rain, but we just had to drive it home that night.

The dealer wants me to bring it in on Monday so they can detail it. They also want to put a protective Zaktek (couldn't find any info on it) coating on it?

My questions are:

I was thinking I should be a man and was it myself.

Here is my list if I do it my elf:
1. Wash
2. Clay
3. Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer
4. Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant
5. 12hrs of rest
6. Souveran

I will be doing this all by hand because I am too much of a wimp to take the machine to it right now.

Any help or inputs would be greatly appreciated. I will post my pics and progress along the way

Welcome!

Congrats on your new car AND for doing your homework!

You probably know the answers to your questions:

NO - under no circumstance - and ALWAYS tell them not to wash it when you take it in for service!

NO - see above and their "coating" isn't worth the money or risk to your new car finish.

Your proposed process is very good, better than the dealer option!

You'll love the results of your plan.

Regards,
GEWB

Shane731
01-24-2010, 03:43 PM
:whs: Yeah, DO NOT let the dealer wash it. They would like to think they are doing you a favor, but they aren't. Trust me, I wash cars at a dealership, I know. Do it yourself at home.

Don't forget to use the 2 bucket method and a quality soap when washing, as well as a good quality wash mitt. If you haven't watched these videos then make sure you do so:
[ame="http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7598756069207401372&hl=en"]How to wash your car show car style[/video]

How to clay bar (using Pinnacle clay)

How to clay bar (using Wolfgang clay)

Most importantly, have fun with your new ride! :dblthumb2:

LincolnZephyr2006
01-24-2010, 03:52 PM
Doesn't matter if it is called Zaktek, Pretek, Once a year sealant... they are all the same dealer BS to get you to shell out $350 or for having paint protection when you can just use the Wolfgang 3.0 that will last longer than those no name so called sealants dealers try to bring in. I would let them know in a nice way to get their hands off of it as much as possible.

baadussy
01-25-2010, 09:53 AM
You guys are the best, THANKS.

I completed the hood and holy smokes it is amazing! The car is clean but I am taking my time one panel at a time and enjoying the results.

I have a couple of stubborn water spots on the hood that I just couldn't get out with the clay and Paintwork Polish Enhancer. I think it needs something to cut it down, but again I am to much of a wimp to use anything with cutting ability right now. I don't know what else to do.

I also have the 303 Aerospace protectant. Is it OK to use this on the plastic parts of the car? Can you use this to protect the headlights?

What should I use on the crome accents?

Also what are your thoughts on a clear bra to protect the nose? Can you remove those easily?

Many questions.

Mike Phillips
01-25-2010, 10:18 AM
Welcome to the Autogeek Online forum! :welcome:

As other's have said, DON'T Let them wash your new car. Nothing good will come from it.

The way swirls get into your car's paint all comes down to how the car is touched. If you want to prevent swirls from being instilled into your car's clear coat finish then you have to take ownership of the car wash process or hire a Pro that knows how to "touch" paint to wash and dry your car for you.

Expect to pay at least $30.00 to $60.00 for a Pro to come to your house and wash and dry your car for you so you don't have to.

Only use the highest quality products your can obtain on your car's clear coat finish, this includes, car wash soap, your choice of car wash mitts, drying towels, applicator pad and microfiber polishing towels.

Again, it's all about how the paint is touched that determines if it will look great of be filled with unsightly swirls.

Doesn't matter if it is called Zaktek, Pretek, Once a year sealant... they are all the same dealer BS to get you to shell out $350 or for having paint protection when you can just use the Wolfgang 3.0 that will last longer than those no name so called sealants dealers try to bring in.

The dealer applied paint sealant is one of the best and last "Profit Centers" the dealership has and it's basically an "Insurance Policy" that they know the customer will either forget about or just the same, never bring the car back to them for any kind of problems or issues.

There was a Mercedes-Benz dealer in SoCal that was charging $1000.00 for their program and from their point of view, why not?

Save your money and enjoy your new Cadillac.

:)