PDA

View Full Version : WG FG 3.0 and Menzerna Nano polishes

Kurt_s
01-23-2010, 06:17 PM
I noticed that many members recommend one or more of the Menzerna polishes to bump up the shine (PO85RD was mentioned several times) before LSR versus the WG Finishing Glaze. The AG website says that WG FG 3.0 is made by Menzerna for WG and is a fusion of the original FG and their Nano polishes.

The Menzerna chart identifies 3 finishing polishes that are Gray all denoted with a 2500 Grit abrasive but differing cutting levels and shine capabilities (PO106FA, PO87MC and PO85RD). Where does the WG FG 3.0 compare with the three Menzerna polishes since all 4 have a gray tint to the polish?

I ask as several members recommended different Menzerna polishes when other members already have the WG Finishing Glaze 3.0 in their garages. Secondly, when one runs out of the WG FG 3.0, would they be better off buying one of the Menzerna products instead of the WG products utility being equal?

Thanks!

Rsurfer
01-23-2010, 06:23 PM
I noticed that many members recommend one or more of the Menzerna polishes to bump up the shine (PO85RD was mentioned several times) before LSR versus the WG Finishing Glaze. The AG website says that WG FG 3.0 is made by Menzerna for WG and is a fusion of the original FG and their Nano polishes.

The Menzerna chart identifies 3 finishing polishes that are Gray all denoted with a 2500 Grit abrasive but differing cutting levels and shine capabilities (PO106FA, PO87MC and PO85RD). Where does the WG FG 3.0 compare with the three Menzerna polishes since all 4 have a gray tint to the polish?

I ask as several members recommended different Menzerna polishes when other members already have the WG Finishing Glaze 3.0 in their garages. Secondly, when one runs out of the WG FG 3.0, would they be better off buying one of the Menzerna products instead of the WG products utility being equal?

Thanks!Wolfgang's 3.0 Finishing glaze is equal to Menz 106FA in cut. Menz 85rd and Final Polish II are finishing polishes.

Kurt_s
01-24-2010, 12:04 AM
Thanks for the confirmation. Now I understand the reco for 85RD over WG FG3.0.

Will I see the difference with a white or champagne BMW paint? One recent poster asked about Menzerna vs his WG FG polish with a red mustang, so I want to make sure that he gets good info too.

If you have experience with OG Omega Glaze, I have a favor to ask. I used OG OHG under Blitz wax for many years on 2 Silver BMWs with great success, but I never needed to do major corrections. It made the paint glow and wet looking in conjunction with the Blitz.

I recently tried the WG combo on a white BMW which made the paint really "white" and "mirror-like," but its affect is different than OG Blitz. Both are terrific and I am excited to see how the WG sealant holds up.

Is the OG Omega Glaze compariable to the 85RD or final polish II from a finishing glaze standpoint. I recently treated 2 wheels with Omega Glaze before a wheel sealtant and they looked MUCH, MUCH, MUCH wetter and shinier than rims just treated with Wheel Guard. I plan to glaze and retreat the other 2 rims tomorrow morning but should I try the WG FG3.0 instead?

I am not afraid to try new options, however as a non-professional it looks like I may get stuck with my wife's friend cars (MB and Audi) and need to chose the right product for them. Should I use the Omega or WG as a final glaze on these cars? I only hope that my son gets paid for the work that I do and he treats me to a good movie and dinner.

Thanks for your experience and opinions!

zinc02gt
01-24-2010, 02:58 AM
Thanks for the confirmation. Now I understand the reco for 85RD over WG FG3.0.

Will I see the difference with a white or champagne BMW paint? One recent poster asked about Menzerna vs his WG FG polish with a red mustang, so I want to make sure that he gets good info too.

If you have experience with OG Omega Glaze, I have a favor to ask. I used OG OHG under Blitz wax for many years on 2 Silver BMWs with great success, but I never needed to do major corrections. It made the paint glow and wet looking in conjunction with the Blitz.

I recently tried the WG combo on a white BMW which made the paint really "white" and "mirror-like," but its affect is different than OG Blitz. Both are terrific and I am excited to see how the WG sealant holds up.

Is the OG Omega Glaze compariable to the 85RD or final polish II from a finishing glaze standpoint. I recently treated 2 wheels with Omega Glaze before a wheel sealtant and they looked MUCH, MUCH, MUCH wetter and shinier than rims just treated with Wheel Guard. I plan to glaze and retreat the other 2 rims tomorrow morning but should I try the WG FG3.0 instead?

I am not afraid to try new options, however as a non-professional it looks like I may get stuck with my wife's friend cars (MB and Audi) and need to chose the right product for them. Should I use the Omega or WG as a final glaze on these cars? I only hope that my son gets paid for the work that I do and he treats me to a good movie and dinner.

Thanks for your experience and opinions!

On a white car, you will not notice a difference in my opinion. White is just, plain. No depth at all. Now, on black the difference would be noticeable with finishing with P085RD or Ultrafina, but generally on light colored cars a super fine finishing polish will not make a 'noticeable' difference. Again that is all my own opinion, but I do own a light colored vehicle.

I have no experience with OG stuff, but if it's a glaze it's probably going to contain fillers. A good finishing polish will give the paint the luster of a glaze without any fillers and leave the true finish of the car the way it should be.

mitch1959
01-24-2010, 06:26 AM
white takes a lot of work but the results are great
before
after

ScottB
01-24-2010, 09:22 AM
FG 3.0 is rated very well and can be used as a final polish based upon design and final gloss rating. That said, to move to the last level in polishing (often suggested as jeweling or burnishing) then most suggest 085rd which just seems to add a little more "wow" to the finish in relation to gloss and reflection.

Kurt_s
01-24-2010, 03:22 PM
Are both 85RD and WG FG 3.0 finishing glazes that leave fillers to hide defects?

Would one use the 85RD instead of the WG FG 3.0 after swirl correction or as another step before waxing/sealing for that extra pop in dark colored cars?

The process that I've used for the last 10 years before rewaxing has been wash, clay, glaze and wax. Would you recommend using 85RD as a paint cleaner/glaze before waxing if the paint is in good shape? Any other suggestions?

Thanks again for your expertise!

zinc02gt
01-24-2010, 04:53 PM
85RD is a finishing polish. It shouldn't contain any fillers, but the oils could hide defects. Always do an IPA wipe down after polishing.

A general order of things would be Meg's 105 (wool or orange pad), Meg's 205 (white pad), then 85RD (either gray or blue). An IPA wipedown will leave you not only with the true finish, but also with a clean and ready-to-wax finish.

Laura
01-24-2010, 05:25 PM
Are both 85RD and WG FG 3.0 finishing glazes that leave fillers to hide defects?

Would one use the 85RD instead of the WG FG 3.0 after swirl correction or as another step before waxing/sealing for that extra pop in dark colored cars?

The process that I've used for the last 10 years before rewaxing has been wash, clay, glaze and wax. Would you recommend using 85RD as a paint cleaner/glaze before waxing if the paint is in good shape? Any other suggestions?

Thanks again for your expertise!

I certainly don't consider what I can offer as "expertise," but have you seen this chart? It does a great job of showing how one product compares to another with respect to aggressiveness.
Autogeek Swirl Removers & Compounds Comparison Chart (http://www.auto-geek.net/charts/wax-cut-chart-master.htm)

Rsurfer
01-24-2010, 05:39 PM

Thanks again for your expertise!If you haven't polished for 10 years, then the glaze must be covering the marring. If you have a silver or white paint, it maybe hard to see, but it's there after no polishing for 10 years. :iagree:with what Zinc said below your post.

Rsurfer
01-24-2010, 05:41 PM
white takes a lot of work but the results are great
before
after

Awesome results. What was your process? You should post a show and shine thread.

Kurt_s
01-24-2010, 09:57 PM
Thanks for all the comments, lessons and the link to the polish chart.

Yes, I never felt it necessary to do a major correction on any of my cars as we turn leases over every 3 years, except for the 99 BMW. The 99 BMW was in good shape until I started traveling too much and a used an airport wash and wax service which ruined the finish. That's how I came to this forum as I couldn't correct the paint manually.

Should I have washed or done a isopropyl wipe down of the vehicle after polishing with WG FG 3.0 and before using the WG Sealant?

I thought that the purpose of a finishing glaze was to feed the paint before waxing and the WG products were synergistic. Will the fact that I didn't wash off the Finishing Glaze affect the longevity of the WG Sealant?

Thanks again!!!

Rsurfer
01-24-2010, 11:08 PM
Thanks for all the comments, lessons and the link to the polish chart.

Yes, I never felt it necessary to do a major correction on any of my cars as we turn leases over every 3 years, except for the 99 BMW. The 99 BMW was in good shape until I started traveling too much and a used an airport wash and wax service which ruined the finish. That's how I came to this forum as I couldn't correct the paint manually.

Should I have washed or done a isopropyl wipe down of the vehicle after polishing with WG FG 3.0 and before using the WG Sealant?

I thought that the purpose of a finishing glaze was to feed the paint before waxing and the WG products were synergistic. Will the fact that I didn't wash off the Finishing Glaze affect the longevity of the WG Sealant?

Thanks again!!!You are probably thinking about a paint cleaner that preps the paint before waxing. 3.0 is more of a finishing polish than a glaze. 3.0 has no fillers so you should be fine, although I alway's do a IPA wipe down after polishing.

Kurt_s
01-24-2010, 11:50 PM
I will try the IPA step in the future to check the finish now that I'm experimenting with new products.

Thanks!