PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Pass or next step?

aceshigh73
10-09-2006, 09:04 PM
Hey all....

Finally got to do a decent XMT polish on my car today..... Used XMT with LC Pads....
Anyway, the car is only 3 months old, but has a decent amount of DIS (Dealer installed Swirls)....
I used the LC Orange Pad and XMT2 did small sections of my hood about 5 mins or so each, and wiped with the Indigo. So, I saw a difference, but still some swirls, etc left.... but after seeing this, do I just assume all is well and proceed to XMT1, or do I make a 2nd pass of the XMT2?

-Thanks

Mike

Excessive Detail
10-09-2006, 09:45 PM
Definately keep trying with the xmt 2, it could very easily take one or two passes before a considerable amount of swirls are removed, depending on how the polish is breaking down. I would actually reccomened stepping it up a notch. You could use a stronger polish like xmt 3 or ssr 2.5, or switch to a stronger pad like a cutting pad. I have xmt 2 with a medium cutting pad with fantastic results, still followed with white pad and xmt 1.

aceshigh73
10-09-2006, 09:51 PM
I hear ya... Thats what Im thinking... another pass...
I dont own xmt3 yet, but do have SSR 2.5 and 1.0.

Is it generally acceptable to switch polishing brands in the same polishing session?
Can I go, SSR 2.5, XMT1, XMT Glaze ?
Would each products "fillers" not jive together?

Thanks

sparkie
10-10-2006, 02:14 AM
I hear ya... Thats what Im thinking... another pass...
I dont own xmt3 yet, but do have SSR 2.5 and 1.0.

Is it generally acceptable to switch polishing brands in the same polishing session?
Can I go, SSR 2.5, XMT1, XMT Glaze ?
Would each products "fillers" not jive together?

Thanks
Question 1- Yes
Question 2- I don't see why not! People that has both said SSR 2.5 and XMT3 has about same cutting power.
Question 3- Glaze is the only one with fillers.
You going to post pics when your done?

FloridaNative
10-10-2006, 09:10 AM
Yeah you can use the 2.5 and then finish with the 1.0 and the CFG.

ScottB
10-10-2006, 05:27 PM
Over on that "other" board someone would likely mix the two and see what it brings. SSR/XMT. Visionary's ....

Excessive Detail
10-10-2006, 07:16 PM
Over on that "other" board someone would likely mix the two and see what it brings. SSR/XMT. Visionary's ....

I did that to fill a bottle, I had a little xmt 3 left and a little ssr 2.5, mix them together and I got like half a bottle, haven't tried it yet, look cool though.

Speed6 Guy
10-13-2006, 01:22 PM
I am new to this forum but not to detailing and you can go over the sameplace five times with a Porter-Cable and be fine. Its fool proof.

sparkie
10-13-2006, 07:36 PM
I am new to this forum but not to detailing and you can go over the sameplace five times with a Porter-Cable and be fine. Its fool proof. Almost! We are talking about PC/DA 7424 not an high speed buffer.

FloridaNative
10-13-2006, 07:42 PM

hehehehehe you crack me up killer! :p

Speed6 Guy
10-13-2006, 07:44 PM
Yes with a DA you will just about never burn the paint. It is a vary comfortable machine even for the noice user.

FloridaNative
10-13-2006, 07:52 PM
I like what Killerwheels says about the PC. He says you can only hurt the paint if you throw the PC at the car! :p Too funny!

ryandamartini
10-14-2006, 06:01 AM
Put a quarter size of polish on, dont be shy now! :D

Work in at speed 5. I find the slower speed breaks down the microabrasives better and leaves a nicer finish.

Stop polishing when the polish is noticebly thinner / clear. If it dusts to a decent amount, youve gone too far :)