PDA

View Full Version : New Car swirl/scratch question

davidlg16
01-19-2010, 08:03 PM
Let me try to make this short...

got 2010 bmw (black sapphire metallic) a few weeks ago.
got some swirl/scratch on it (small area under the right passenger window on a coupe) probably from a buddy leaning against it when it was dirty. if I run my nail through it, I can "feel" the scratch/swirl.

here's what it looks like
http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr218/davidlg16/BMW-335-101sm.jpg

i washed it 2 bucket
klass AIO by hand, klass glaze sealant by hand, the scratch marks are still there.
(i probably didn't apply the sealant right cuz it was too hard to remove so I just QDed the whole car)

1. i bought a PC with WG TSR/Glaze/Sealant 3.0, do you guys think I can remove these scratch marks with these?
or should I buy some XMT #3, #2, #1, 360?
meg 105/205 even?

2. since the car's new, am I messing up the paint when I PC the paint with Orange pad and swirl remover? would the spot that I PC look a little different than the rest of the car? should I just leave those scratches for now and wait another 6 month and do the whole car altogether?

advices are very much appreciated
David

Stuff I already have:
pinnacle shampoo
lambwool mitt/MF mitt
bucket/grit guard
bunch of cobra MF towels

pinnacle tire gel
DP wheel cleaner
daytona brush

Klass AIO
Klass Glaze sealant
WG Total Swirl Remover
WG Glaze
WG Sealant
Pinnacle Souveran Paste

Porter cable, 5", 3.5"
Pads: Orange, White, Gray, Red all in both 5.5" and 4"

Mike Phillips
01-19-2010, 08:16 PM
Here's an old saying...

"You don't know what you can do until you try"

Hang on...

:D

arkus
01-19-2010, 08:23 PM

Mike Phillips
01-19-2010, 08:30 PM
1. i bought a PC with WG TSR/Glaze/Sealant 3.0,

do you guys think I can remove these scratch marks with these?

The Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover is a very capable swirl mark remover and it may be enough to do the job. It might take multiple applications but you won't know until you go out into your garage and fire up your polisher and do a little testing.

You can't always remove a defect completely but you can usually improve a defect to the point that you no longer notice it.

You say your fingernail drops into the scratch? That's usually not a good sign. Do use common sense and keep in mind that clear coats are fairly thin. If you go through the clear in an effort to try to remove the defect the underlying basecoat will be dull and that will really stand out like a sore-thumb.

or should I buy some XMT #3, #2, #1, 360?
meg 105/205 even?

Theoretically, if you make a little progress with one application of the WG TSR 3.0, you can make even more progress with multiple applications.

See what you can do with what you have to start with.

2. since the car's new, am I messing up the paint when I PC the paint with Orange pad and swirl remover?

Paint Systems are different, some polish really well, some don't, you won't know until you go out and do some testing.

The worst case scenario is a cutting pad will leave a haze in the paint, if this happens then just re-polish using a less aggressive pad and a less aggressive polish.

For example, use a polishing pad with the WG Finishing Glaze.

would the spot that I PC look a little different than the rest of the car?

Sure, you'll likely make it look better than the surrounding paint!

Nothing really to worry about with the problem you have and the products you have.

should I just leave those scratches for now and wait another 6 month and do the whole car altogether?

You're talking to the wrong guy and the wrong forum when you talk about "leaving" scratches like this in your new car. I and the rest of the regulars would have removed them by now.

:D

Porter cable, 5", 3.5"
Pads: Orange, White, Gray, Red all in both 5.5" and 4"

Deja vu....

I was posting on DC and the forum member there didn't mention which version of the PC he had? I guess it just to easy for me to type fast to spill out Porter Cable 7424XP versus just type PC or 7424

Regardless... if you have the early version or the new XP model, both models can rotate a small pad like 5.5" 5" and 4"

The smaller the pad the easier it will be for the PC to rotate the pad. Defects are removed best when the pad is rotating, not just vibrating. A warmer, kinder way to say that is a PC will remove paint better when the pad is rotating, not just vibrating against the paint. Removing below surface defects mean removing a little paint.

:)

Mike Phillips
01-19-2010, 08:31 PM
If you haven't read this yet give it a read-through...

Tips and Techniques for using the PC 7424XP Dual Action Polisher to remove Below Surface Defects (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/expert-tips/20021-tips-techniques-using-porter-cable-7424xp.html)

It's very detailed and thorough.

:)

davidlg16
01-19-2010, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the reply Mike, I'll get on it as soon as it stops raining over here, although it'll probably rain into the next week.

I've read through that article as well as some other articles you recommended in another post.

Actually I've done nothing much but reading through the forums for the past couple days and nights trying to get a hang of things.

I'll report back