PDA

View Full Version : Distilled Water

arkus
01-18-2010, 12:23 PM
Will distilled water help with products like ONR . Just wondering if it would make any difference at all . :xyxthumbs:

Lasthope05
01-18-2010, 12:49 PM
Some will say they notice a difference while others dont. Im with the ones that dont say there is a noticeable difference. The theory behind using distilled water/reverse osmosis water is so that the purer water will not expend or exhaust the polymers in ONR that encapsulates dirt.

If you live in an area with soft water or your house has a water softening system then you wont notice anything different. Now if you live in an area with hard water then you might feel a slight drop in lubricity but that is nothing a bit more ONR cant combat against(additional 1/4 oz.) What you are trying to do is replenish some on the polymers that were used up to soften the water.

Give DI/RO water a try and see which you like better. Its all personal preference.

Something you should be using with ONR is warm/hot water. The warm/hot water will help ONR to break down dirt easier and gives you better cleaning action.

ScottB
01-18-2010, 01:50 PM
I would think you also need to measure the cost vs effectiveness to be sure its worth the additional expense in water types.

Fly bye
01-18-2010, 06:00 PM
At least distilled water doesn't leave water spots due to excess mineral content.

dublifecrisis
01-18-2010, 09:34 PM
For mixed/bottled products like ONR QD, dilluted APC's, IPA, etc I will not use anything but distilled water.

If it were cost effective, I would do ONR washes the same way but warm tap water from my tub will have to do. I'm sure it would make things a little easier at least where I'm at-the water is HARD.

Wal-mart 72 cents a gallon is usually where I stock up.

Fly bye
01-19-2010, 10:34 PM
For mixed/bottled products, I will not use anything but distilled water.

:iagree:

jlb85
01-19-2010, 10:56 PM
I have a Reverse Osmosis treatment system tied into the water filtration system for the house (20" sediment filter + Water Conditioner (softener) + RO for drinking water), and I full up 3 gallon jugs with it. I tested the dissolved solids to be 0. It is much more cost effective this way, so I can use it to dilute any chemical. However, I use the "normal" filtered water for things like APC 4:1 and Degreaser. Anything used for paint, interior, leather, or glass gets RO water. I also use RO water for things that will be bottled up for a long time (less frequent usage), like Wheel Brightener and Hyper Dressing.

Lowprofile
01-20-2010, 06:22 PM
For mixed/bottled products like ONR QD, dilluted APC's, IPA, etc I will not use anything but distilled water.

:whs:

arkus
01-20-2010, 06:31 PM
I'm going to try it with ONR .
Thanks for the responces !

zinc02gt
01-21-2010, 02:04 PM
Sorry to kind of thread jack, but would distilled water with soap be ideal for wetsanding or is regular tap water with a few drops of soap just fine?

jlb85
01-26-2010, 02:25 AM
Sorry zinc02gt, just saw this post went without a response.

Regular water is fine. Any water spots that would occur will be corrected by the sanding, then by the polishing and refining.