PDA

View Full Version : New Microfiber towels are linting

Pages : [1] 2

obssest
01-17-2010, 12:26 AM
I'm really having a hard time finding Microfiber towels that work for me. I have a black car and use Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Detailer or #135 pretty much daily for dusting.

I switched from some cheap Sam's Club MF's to Supreme Shines when I got this car 4 mos. ago because I was scared they might scratch. The Supremes were heavenly from day 1 and I thought I'd never buy anything else. No linting ever and no sign of scratches. So, I ordered 9 more Megs Supremes and all of them linted. Despite several washings, the lint wouldn't stop. The retailer was awesome and sent free replacements, thinking I had a bad batch. Didn't work out. So, now I have 3 Supremes that are AWESOME, no lint, and 18 that lint like mad and simply replace the dust on the car with an equal amount of MF lint.

I figured I would go higher end, and did what I thought was ample research before settling on Cobra towels. I ordered 4 Special purpose Gold and 4 Supreme 530's. I was SO amped when I opened them. These towels feel so great, how could they not come through for me?

They all linted straight out of the bag. I've washed them and although it might be slightly reduced, every one of them still leaves my finish looking horrible. I haven't called Autogeek yet to try to return them but I just don't know what to do here. I have searched the forums here and elsewhere for why this is happening. How can some people claim to quick detail with these exact towels and get no lint?

I seriously had to QD using the cheap MF's today and there was ZERO lint. I think they are probably "unsplit" microfiber, so less prone to linting from what I've read. I love the Cobra waffle guzzlers. They don't lint. Can I just get a bunch of those and QD with waffle weave...does anyone do that?

Please help.

christian900se
01-17-2010, 01:38 AM
I have had the same issues with the 530's too, and have washed them repeatedly with no appreciable reduction in linting (I wash them properly too). I use them to dust before I QD my car with indiglo detailers towels which have shorter napp but have never linted.

Some do use waffle weave as it has been mentioned that they may produce less static when wiping the paint with them. The only downside is that you have a much larger chance of marring the paint without the deeper pile of regular microfibers.

Bunky
01-17-2010, 06:22 AM
Some do use waffle weave as it has been mentioned that they may produce less static when wiping the paint with them. The only downside is that you have a much larger chance of marring the paint without the deeper pile of regular microfibers.

I think the marring question depends on the specific towels rather than saying waffle weaves can mar more than plush towels.

I have not seen any real linting with the 530 g's but then I only have three.

turbos17
01-17-2010, 10:36 AM
Dang sounds like you have had too many bad batches. Did you try these? Cobra Deluxe Jr. 600 Microfiber Towel, 16 x 16 inches (http://www.autogeek.net/cobra-deluxe-jr--microfiber-towel.html) Simply amazing MF's and not a single issue ever!

tuscarora dave
01-17-2010, 10:53 AM
If you want to end your quest for the best microfiber towel that does not lint get the (DMT) deluxe mega towel from poorboys world. They are $49.95 for 12 towels but you get what you pay for with these towels. I have been polishing, waxing, drying, scrubbing, wringing and washing these towels in the washer for 2 years and they are still like new and still not linting.

turbos17
01-17-2010, 11:08 AM
If you want to end your quest for the best microfiber towel that does not lint get the (DMT) deluxe mega towel from poorboys world. They are $49.95 for 12 towels but you get what you pay for with these towels. I have been polishing, waxing, drying, scrubbing, wringing and washing these towels in the washer for 2 years and they are still like new and still not linting.

Really?

HighEndDetail
01-17-2010, 11:43 AM
I never had a issue with these cobra indigo mf linting

Cobra Indigo Microfiber Polishing Cloth (http://www.autogeek.net/coinmipoclsc.html)

christian900se
01-17-2010, 12:33 PM
I think the marring question depends on the specific towels rather than saying waffle weaves can mar more than plush towels.

I have not seen any real linting with the 530 g's but then I only have three.

I think that its not the actual waffle weave itself that will marr, but rather the lack of any napp that will grab any dust or dirt particles and lift it away from the paint. With a waffle weave, there is not room for lifting those contaminants away from the paint surface which is what I am getting at.

loudog2
01-17-2010, 12:56 PM
I have both the cobra jr's and the 530's. Both are hit or miss for some reason. One towel will be great, the other of the same lints like hell. I can't figure it out. When they are lint free, they are a great towel(both). But when they lint, boy do they lint.

christian900se
01-17-2010, 02:38 PM
I have both the cobra jr's and the 530's. Both are hit or miss for some reason. One towel will be great, the other of the same lints like hell. I can't figure it out. When they are lint free, they are a great towel(both). But when they lint, boy do they lint.

Makes you wonder what constitutes quality control with these deeper pile microfibers. Its a shame really, since they feel so soft and luxerious but at the same time you can't really use those qualities in practice because of the linting.

Old Tiger
01-17-2010, 03:06 PM
I have not had linting with any Cobra MFs. including the now infamous Shamrocks. I have a front load LG washer & dryer. The washer spins the hell out of the MFs after each rinse cycle. I wonder if conventional washers are a contributor to the Cobra linting mystery? It may be useful to add what kind of washer each of you with linting issues use.

loudog2
01-17-2010, 03:25 PM
-Whirlpool Duet front loaders
-Micro-restore detergent
-2nd rinse option also

Old Tiger
01-17-2010, 03:33 PM
-Whirlpool Duet front loaders
-Micro-restore detergent
-2nd rinse option also

I think we can rule out my theory!

loudog2
01-17-2010, 03:35 PM
I think we can rule out my theory!
Yea, I haven't been able to put my finger on it either. It's like, either they are bad or they are not. Next detail I do I'll use different ones to see if they feel different.

obssest
01-17-2010, 03:42 PM
I have LG front loaders. I generally put the Meguiar's Supreme Shines through an extra long cycle with only HE detergent, extra rinse, and add white vinegar to the softener cup. Thebn, last night I washed them in HOT for the first time ever just to see if that made a difference.

They "feel" great, but still lint on the car. Maybe I'll use them on my face.

I'm seeing that quick detail sprays bring the worst out in Microfibers as far as linting goes. I can use these towels for buffing off a fresh coat of wax with only minimal linting, completely acceptable. But spray on some QD and they literally seem to disintegrate before my eyes.

I went with the Special gold and 530's because the Cobra chart lists Quick Detailing under the common uses, whereas some of the other Cobras don't include that specifically.

Anyone tried the Sonus microfiber detailing towel (waffle) for quick detailing?