PDA

View Full Version : Etched Water Spots

zinc02gt
01-16-2010, 02:31 PM
I just got a rotary and have already practiced on one vehicle. The friend of mine was getting his car repainted anyway so he didn't care if it was a test dummy. It came out pretty nice in my opinion and no burns either.

I just purchsed a spare hood off a wrecked 2004 V6 Mustang for $20. It has vinyl stripes which I will be removing. It has water spots here and there and some good defects.

To remove them will I have to wetsand a little bit or can I just hit it with M105 and a wool pad?

This will be practice for my hood scoop which has some minor water etching and is the only spot on my car that I'm not pleased with.

nitro78
01-16-2010, 02:48 PM
i would try the m105 and if that doesnt work then go to wetsanding. always use the least abrasive solution before moving on to something more aggressive.

bigdawg
01-16-2010, 03:25 PM
:iagree:

trencher7
01-16-2010, 04:10 PM
I have some etchings as well. Anyone know if you can burn paint easily with a wool pad on a DA? I was going to try some Ultimate Compound on an yellow pad with my PC XP. If that didn't do it maybe try the wool pad.

zinc02gt
01-16-2010, 05:05 PM
Surbuf pad on a DA. Wool needs to be left to rotary.

ASPHALT ROCKET
01-16-2010, 06:22 PM
i would try the m105 and if that doesnt work then go to wetsanding. always use the least abrasive solution before moving on to something more aggressive.

I agree with you, but if you are removing the defect whether it be by 105 or wet sanding it you are still removing the same surface since it will be removed. So in saying this you really are not doing anything differently but using a different approach a[[roach to remove the same amount of surface. Wet sanding it will be quicker but if you are not very good with wet sanding it could end up taking longer.