PDA

View Full Version : David F. Opti-Coat Test & What to do with Opti-Coat?

Old Tiger
01-16-2010, 09:24 AM
I am very interested in this test. I have some Opti-Coat and am wondering if I should use it on both vehicles. We have an 07 Charcoal Expedition and an 05 XLR in Xenon Blue. I enjoy keeping them looking. great. I currently use BFWD over the Menzerna Twins and am happy with the look, I dont know if O-C can look as good as BFWD. I know it will act moe like an invisible bra than an LSP. That makes it an easy choice for the daily driver Ford. It is a tougher call for the weeekend driver which I try to keep pristine. What would you guys do?

David Fermani
01-16-2010, 12:26 PM
Using Opti-Coat doesn't prohibit you from applying waxes/sealants on top of it. Just make sure the finish is to your liking and completely bare before coating it.

Old Tiger
01-16-2010, 12:38 PM
[QUOTE=David Fermani;283755]Using Opti-Coat doesn't prohibit you from applying waxes/sealants on top of it. Just make sure the finish is to your liking and completely bare before coating it.[/QUOT

Thanks David! This news seals the deal. Are there any quirks, tips, etc. I should know? From what I have read, it is not difficult.
I have a clear bra on my XLR. Will I still need it or can I remove it. TIA

christian900se
01-16-2010, 12:45 PM
I wonder if it leaves any 'ghosting' on darker solid colors? I tried Opti-seal on my black Saab 900 and it left some ghosting that was very hard to remove and is why I stopped using it.

David Fermani
01-16-2010, 12:48 PM
Good question about the clear bra. I'd e-mail Dr. G to see if you can coat it(if you needed to). I wouldn't take it off.

Just make sure the paint is bare and prepped properly. When applying, work it in very good/thin, let it sit for a few minutes and wipe it lightly to even out the surface. Make sure to level edges so high spots don't show after it dries.

Old Tiger
01-16-2010, 03:52 PM
I will contact Dr. G. if I want to remove the bra. Then I would have to ask the forum how to remove a clear bra. I am sure it would not be easy! Thanks again!