PDA

View Full Version : Meguiar's Unigrit Machine Damp Sanding

JohnHenry
01-15-2010, 10:27 AM
The NEXT BIG THING!

I am not exactly a pro... maybe one car per week for pay. Wet sanding a car scares the hell out of me. And I am by no means an early adopter, but I feel completely comfortable using this Meg's Unigrit Machine Damp Sanding system to level orange peel and to address moderate scratching.

It appears that they have removed some of the potential for human error, or variances in skill level, and provided a means for the enthusiast to get a uniform, flat, sanded clearcoat surface, as safely as possible. Make no mistake, this is still sandpaper. I know that I could royally screw up a car through carelessness, improper technique or inadequate prep. However, with some basic instruction (I hear a video may be in the works) I see no reason why anyone on the forum could not successfully master this process.

Consumer prices were not available as of the date of MobileTechExpo, but we're only talking about picking up a backing plate, interface pad and some of the four or so sanding pads. We're told that padded and plain pads, 1500 and 3000 grit will be released initially. The system works on your normal DA buffer.

Autogeek's Director of Training Mike Phillips presented this new Meguiar's product line to the MTE Training Day crowd in Clearwater, FL. After three hours of combined classroom and demonstration training, I have decided to incorporate this new tool into my available detailing solutions. (We ain't talkin' junkyard panels here, guys. We worked on a car with a license plate!)

This is an unsolicted, unaffiliated, uncompensated endorsement. But, Max, if you would have your people call my people? lol!

nitro78
01-15-2010, 03:20 PM
sounds great. but what exactly does "damp" sanding mean? do you spritz the panel with water or soak the pad?

JohnHenry
01-15-2010, 06:37 PM
One spritz on the sanding sheet, two on the panel section.

Rsurfer
01-15-2010, 07:32 PM
One spritz on the sanding sheet, two on the panel section.I'm still concerned about water around an electrical device that is not made to be around water. I know the GFI should prevent shock, but is it 100% safe?

Harleyguy
01-15-2010, 09:04 PM
I'm still concerned about water around an electrical device that is not made to be around water. I know the GFI should prevent shock, but is it 100% safe?I kinda agree with you Ron as far as getting knocked on your butt if you get water in the machine.But on the other hand a GFI is made to trip in event of any water and electric meet.As far as using lets say a Pc to Damp sand with this new 3M system you use very little water compared to full wet sanding and with the way the pc is made, that the motor isn't close to the surface your sanding i don't you would have a problem.I used the same system using the 3m air da and it works awesome.Guess we will wait and see what kind of postings show up using a Pc

imageautodetail
01-21-2010, 01:23 PM
I kinda agree with you Ron as far as getting knocked on your butt if you get water in the machine.But on the other hand a GFI is made to trip in event of any water and electric meet.As far as using lets say a Pc to Damp sand with this new 3M system you use very little water compared to full wet sanding and with the way the pc is made, that the motor isn't close to the surface your sanding i don't you would have a problem.I used the same system using the 3m air da and it works awesome.Guess we will wait and see what kind of postings show up using a Pc 2nd that I use the trizact system with my PC and FLEX never had any issues

Mike Phillips
01-21-2010, 02:29 PM
One spritz on the sanding sheet, two on the panel section.

This is correct. One exception though is that if you're working in a warm or hot environment, or low humidity or there's a strong air flow around the panel, you made need an extra spritz of water or two but the idea is damp sanding, not water running off the hood and onto the floor.

I'm still concerned about water around an electrical device that is not made to be around water. I know the GFI should prevent shock, but is it 100% safe?

Damp sanding definitely isn't for everyone.

As for safe, a GFI electrical outlet is supposed to prevent electrical shock but just like everything in this world nothing is 100% absolute so always use your own judgment.

For what it's worth, using common sense and damp sanding, not water everywhere wet sanding, then using a DA sander sure wont' be any more dangerous than using an electrical tool with a pad washer in which you're placing an electrical tool into a bucket with water in it.

I've cleaned hundreds of pads and so far no problems.

As with any power tool, it's always a good idea to make your peace with whoever you feel you need to make peace with beforehand.

As for me? I prefer machine sanding over hand sanding every time. In these situations, the best option is an air powered DA sander as long as you have a large enough air compressor to supply a sufficient volume of air to the tool. If not, then the next best option would be an electric DA sander.

At the demo that JohnHenry attended, over the course of the event I completely sanded the hood of the Impala down at least 3 times and the top of the trunk lid once with no problems.

:)

LITUNDRA
01-21-2010, 04:07 PM
Don't be SCARED it's only 110v it's enough to remind you that you are alive with that being said get hit with 460v now that's a wake up call! Chances are that as long as you are not standing in a huge puddle with the hose on top of the machine and the extension cord underneath the water you are probably not going to be blasted. Just work with common sense you will be fine!

Mike Phillips
01-21-2010, 04:46 PM
Just to note, in my Power Point Presentation at the 2010 Mobile Tech Expo on Damp-Sanding, there was a dedicated slide that stressed the importance of using a GFI Outlet and this picture to go along with the text.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/722/gfci_outlet.jpg

The idea for me on a personal level and a professional level was to stress safety.

Also, while looking up this article on cleaning pads I noticed one of the pictures I took includes the warning about using an electrical tool with a GG PW right on the label.

Cleaning Pads with the Flex 3401 and the Grit Guard Universal Pad Washer (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-tools-accessories/20713-cleaning-pads-flex-3401-grit-guard-universal-pad-washer.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/749/CleaningHydroPadwFlexGGUPW006.jpg

oldmodman
01-27-2010, 12:50 AM
When I started to get into detailing my own cars twenty years ago I installed a dedicated 20amp GFI socket on the outside of my garage. And another on the inside of the garage. So I have 40 amps worth of sockets available. And I have worked on the concrete driveway, barefooted, standing in water and polishing like a madman. Never been shocked, but there's always next time.

Rsurfer
01-27-2010, 01:26 AM
Before anyone starts to wetsand by hand or machine, they should get a PTG. You don't know the history of the paint you are about to sand. IMO you would be foolish to wet sand a car without a PTG especially someone else's car for money.

Mike Phillips
01-27-2010, 08:21 AM
When I started to get into detailing my own cars twenty years ago I installed a dedicated 20amp GFI socket on the outside of my garage. And another on the inside of the garage.

And I have worked on the concrete driveway, barefooted, standing in water and polishing like a madman.

Now that's what I call,

Living life on the edge of a razor blade

I use to do that...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/715/Racingthequartermilem.jpg

Now days I tend to,

Live life on the blade of the butter knife...

:)

SSTG
01-27-2010, 09:00 AM
Dull huh?

JohnHenry
01-27-2010, 09:53 AM
Before anyone starts to wetsand by hand or machine, they should get a PTG. You don't know the history of the paint you are about to sand. IMO you would be foolish to wet sand a car without a PTG especially someone else's car for money.

Agreed 100%. I need a PTG.

My self-education routine for any process that is the least bit aggressive has evolved to something like this: do three or four beaters, then move to my five year old F250 hunting truck, then maybe offer the service for pay.

For some reason, my wife's Toyota has not been incorporated into this OJT regimen. lol!

Oh yeah, what about the junkyard panels? Hey, where I live, in the middle of an orange grove, there's plenty of rolling junkyard panels on every corner. We call them our DD's.

Meghan, don't start with the "Biggest Redneck" stuff. You know you lose that one every time! (Actually, I'm just baiting you to post a picture of your truck.)

Get buffin', guys. Spring is here! Well, it is here anyway.

sohail99
11-01-2010, 10:28 AM
I just got Mirka Abralon 6" sanding discs (2000 grit and 4000 grit)

I needed them to remove some minor orange peel to get the Distinction Of Image back, on the repainted panels!

I'll be using them with my electric DA.

Any tips while dampsanding?? (this is more like a finishing dampsand and I wont be removing loads of cc as I'll be using the 4000 grit disc first and will tape off the sharp edges etc.)