PDA

View Full Version : Car washing

zinc02gt
01-15-2010, 02:09 AM
What do you guys prefer as a mitt? I'm thinking about trying out the Bone. Just trying to see what most of you guys agree on. I've normally been a Chenille guy, but am willing to try different things. Foam gun is out of the question at the moment though. College kid, detailing is slow, live on my own, bills, etc. and don't have $70 to spend on something like that.

I think my mitt is on it's way out. I've had it for a long time and reserve it ONLY for my car, but I just looked over my car with a light and some minor marring appeard :(. I dry the car via leaf blower and SMP waffle weave with very little pressure so I'm pretty sure it's not my drying technique and I wash via two bucket method and also rinse the mitt before dipping into the water bucket.

Irish
01-15-2010, 03:19 AM
Cobra Blue Mitt or the LC Blue Sponge for me. Mitt is $10 and 2 for 1 right now, sponge is $6 if I remember right, and can be cut in half if you find it too big (kinda huge to be honest, but you get used to it).

jpegs13
01-15-2010, 05:12 AM
+1 on the Cobra Mitt

sullysdetailing
01-15-2010, 09:14 AM
Mothers Genuine Lambswool Wash Mitt (http://autogeek.net/mothers-lambswool.html)

The Bone by Cobra (http://autogeek.net/the-bone.html)

bmw5541
01-15-2010, 09:53 AM
I really like the LC ULTI-MIT
ULTI-MIT Wash Mitt & ULTI-MIT Scrubber Wheel Mitt by Lake Country (http://www.autogeek.net/ultimate-wash-by-lake-country.html)

It really holds onto the foam and water. The best mitt that I have used to date.

turbos17
01-15-2010, 09:56 AM
(2) Schmitt's for washing my vehicles. One for the tires and rims and the other is dedicated for the paint only.

jlb85
01-15-2010, 10:36 AM
You could also just use a plush MF towel.

As far as mitts go, some places have decent MF mitts OTC, and cheap at like $4 a pop. But I prefer the dreadlock MF kind over Chenille, as it makes it easier to spot and remove any particles that gets stuck in the mitt fibers. Clean chenille, though, is probably easier on the paint.

HighEndDetail
01-15-2010, 01:02 PM
I have been using the Schmitt's for the last 3 years. And I am thinking of trying out the LC ULTI-MIT. Once my current one dies..

ScottB
01-15-2010, 09:33 PM
You could also just use a plush MF towel.

:iagree:

Gary Sword
01-15-2010, 09:43 PM
I used a white Schmitt on one of my cars with black paint for 2 years and never had a swirl mark on the car. Also used Poorboy's Super Slick & Suds and dried with a leaf blower and microfiber. I usually get about 80% to 90% of the water off the car with the leaf blower then lightly get any remaining water spots with the microfiber.

kronos
01-16-2010, 12:13 AM
I used a white Schmitt on one of my cars with black paint for 2 years and never had a swirl mark on the car. Also used Poorboy's Super Slick & Suds and dried with a leaf blower and microfiber. I usually get about 80% to 90% of the water off the car with the leaf blower then lightly get any remaining water spots with the microfiber.

Do you pat dry the remaining water? I have the sheepskin wash mitt and I get swirls. I use the 2 bucket method and sheet most of the water off. So I'm puzzled.

Wax Gorilla
01-16-2010, 06:42 AM
DoDo WOOKIE !

Gary Sword
01-16-2010, 07:19 AM
Do you pat dry the remaining water? I have the sheepskin wash mitt and I get swirls. I use the 2 bucket method and sheet most of the water off. So I'm puzzled.

Yes, usually after using the leaf blower there's only a few spots of water left. I then use a large microfiber towel that I folded in 1/4 size. I just sit the microfiber on it and it soaks any the remaining water. I don't reall drag the towel accross the paint.

One thing about microfiber is that about anything will stick to it. It's easy to pick up something with a MF towel that will scratch your paint. Anytime I use a microfiber I go over the whole towel to make sure it hasn't pick up anything before using it. If I drop it or it falls on the ground I always get a freshly washed one. After I wash them I put them in plastic bags with a zipper. The kind you get when you buy a new pair of sheets or a blanket.

I use to use a sheepskin wash mitt before I switched to the white Schmitt.

Wax Gorilla
01-16-2010, 08:35 AM
DoDo WOOKIE !

Old Tiger
01-16-2010, 08:38 AM
I really like the LC ULTI-MIT
ULTI-MIT Wash Mitt & ULTI-MIT Scrubber Wheel Mitt by Lake Country (http://www.autogeek.net/ultimate-wash-by-lake-country.html)

It really holds onto the foam and water. The best mitt that I have used to date.

agree with this and the LC Garage Sponge. I like sponge size as is, but I have big hands. The SH Mitt by EDge is good too! I bought a Bone and a lambs wool mit but havent tried either yet.