PDA

View Full Version : Meguiar's Hyper Dressing

zinc02gt
01-14-2010, 09:39 PM
I just tried it out earlier and after I inspected my work, the satin finish (3:1) seemed to be fading or drying in certain spots. I got even coverage where it needed it too.

Is there a small learning curve for this stuff?

highline1164
01-14-2010, 09:45 PM
ive experienced the same thing. mainly when dressing tires. ive had luck with applying with a microfiber applicator, letting it set for a few minutes, then wiping the excess. it leaves the satin finish your looking for, minus the spotty finish

zinc02gt
01-14-2010, 10:09 PM
I used a foam applicator. I was thinking either MF or foam, but didn't know if HyperDressing works better with.

bigdawg
01-14-2010, 10:28 PM
I personally love the stuff. I just let it sit for a bit and then go back over it again The first application seems to soak up a tiny bit in spots ( my truck sitts outside 24/7 ) I use foam pads and the cheep foam brushes from wallyworld to get into tight places.

jlb85
01-14-2010, 10:34 PM
The plastic substrate is never uniformly clean enough for the HD to penetrate equally throughout the surface. When you use a higher shine dilution, there is more opportunity to mask and cover up, or simply absorb into the grain of the plastic. So to reduce the causes of blotching you need to prep before dressing, and apply more HD. Thus, if you want to keep it sheen not shiny, you might have to apply twice or more. IME, this usually works. Or try another dressing! We use various dressings for various types of plastic and rubber, and each has its own favorite. HD is a very "light" dressing IMO but very suitable for many things. It is water based, which right there makes it inferior to solvent-bases dressings for "penetration" or "uniformity" power. But it makes it the perfect choice for classic and racing tires (although I do not like HD for tires, and prefer Optima Tire Shine for a water based tire dressing), and delicate engine bays that will never get too dirty.

If you get a small bottle of say Megs All Season Dressing and try it out versus the HD, you'll understand right away.

However, I have used Klasse AIO on Ford exterior plastic before (assuming we are talking about the car in your avatar) with exceptional results. And it does not wash away or streak when it rains ;)

zinc02gt
01-14-2010, 10:45 PM
Yes, that is my car. I might just try appying it twice. I applied it to all my exterior trim, cowl panel, and miscellaneous stuff that needed.

I like the natural/satin finish over anything. That's why I went with it. Besides, it was like $44 for the gallon and bottle. Gotta use it lol.

PuDeN
01-14-2010, 10:50 PM
For Hyper Dressing, how I use it is just spray and walk away. Let it dry on its own. But since in my place its raining everyday and Hyper Dressing is water based. I used All Season Dressing.