PDA

View Full Version : Convertible top rub marks

jkmacy
01-13-2010, 10:37 AM
Some shiny rub marks have developed on my vinyl Honda S2000 convertible top, and I fear that there isn't anything that can be done to hide them. Any advice? Thanks.

CEE DOG
01-13-2010, 12:14 PM
Welcome!

What color, where at? can you send a picture?

Bobby B.
01-13-2010, 12:53 PM
Some shiny rub marks have developed on my vinyl Honda S2000 convertible top, and I fear that there isn't anything that can be done to hide them. Any advice? Thanks.

Have you tried any of the 303 or RaggTopp convertible top products ?

Matt S.
01-13-2010, 01:19 PM

Post up some pictures if you can. It's possible that they're on the top rear area where the supports tend to rub through after a few years...if that's the case there's really nothing you can do.

Just FYI, there is a Honda TSB regarding this issue and they actually sand down the contact points where the supports meet. Look at the rub marks from the inside of the car and you'll see the support beams I'm talking about.

christian900se
01-13-2010, 02:11 PM
I have the same issues with my 1996 Saab and found that the best way to lessen their appearance (after looking long and hard for solutions) is to use a brush with medium stiffness bristles and a dedicated fabric or raggtop cleaner and agitate the affected area. This will lessen the severity in terms of looks but if the original cause of the rubbing is not addressed then it will come back as time goes on.

jkmacy
01-13-2010, 02:17 PM
The top is black and the rub marks are slightly in front of the supports.

I have used Ragg Topp products on the top and it nicely cleans and protects the top but it didn't hide the rub marks.

I will see if I can take a decent picture of it and post later.

Thanks

akimel
01-13-2010, 03:32 PM
I recently had my S2K top replaced by Honda via TSB 09-033 (http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?act=module&module=gallery&cmd=viewimage&img=629290). I don't know if Honda will do anything about your top until a slit or crack appears (but no harm in asking!), but it's something to be aware about for the future.

sullysdetailing
01-13-2010, 03:35 PM
Have you tried any of the 303 or RaggTopp convertible top products ?

X2 Both Great Products

jkmacy
01-13-2010, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.

Here is a picture of a couple of the areas I am talking about. You can see a couple of them in between the supports.

AudiTTman
01-13-2010, 10:00 PM
I know of some vinly top reconditioning products, however, i have used 303 AeroSpace Protectant on my friends Porsche Boxster top with similar markings and had great results.

And second thought, that looks a lot like a fabric top?

christian900se
01-13-2010, 10:52 PM
Thats what I was wondering, I could have sworn the few S2000s I have seen or detailed had fabric tops. Either way, if you use a protectant (I prefer 303 Fabric Guard), those products seem to have a slight darkening effect that would minimize marks like that. It did for me at least, and I have a few areas like that where something must be catching the top and rubbing it.

jkmacy
01-14-2010, 09:51 PM
I can try the 303 but how similar is it to Ragg Topp, as I have already tried this and it didn't make any difference.

The top is vinyl, all model years of the S2000 as far as I know are vinyl, they use a vinyl weave which is meant to look like a fabric top.

jkmacy
02-08-2010, 07:12 PM
UPDATE: I took my vehicle in to check on the service bulletin. They said it didn't apply since it didn't have any rips. I then sent a letter to American Honda to see if they would look into it. Again, they looked at the pictures taken by the dealer and said it was "normal wear". I really don't think this is normal wear. I would expect that if you properly care for your top, it shouldn't develop these wear marks. They said there wasn't any top adjustment necessary as well. Apparently there hasn't been alot of complaints like this. I guess Honda quality isn't all that great after all.