PDA

View Full Version : Any Experience with Opti-Coat?

Pages : [1] 2

Old Tiger
01-11-2010, 08:10 PM
I know it is a Professional product only. Have any of you pros tried it yet? As I understand it actually provides a measurable coating that is claimed to last 3 years! Optimum is such a great line that I believe it. Can you top it with a nuba? Is it hard to apply? How do QD's work with it? Any input is much appreciated!

dublifecrisis
01-11-2010, 10:38 PM
I would check Autopia or Optimumforums.org. I read up on some threads and saw some pics about 18 months ago when this product was being tested. If I got a hold of it, I might just use it for wheels...lol

supercharged
01-12-2010, 02:25 AM
have you seen the price on it? I personally like to clay and rejuvenate the paintwork every 6 months anyway, which means most of protection will be removed... No need to last that long...

turbos17
01-12-2010, 09:37 AM
have you seen the price on it? I personally like to clay and rejuvenate the paintwork every 6 months anyway, which means most of protection will be removed... No need to last that long...

+1

nrengle
01-12-2010, 01:19 PM
From everything I've read, it's all it's been hyped to be, or close. I'd definitely be interested in it for my wife's car since she doesn't take very good care of it. I'd put it on my Civic too, just cause I'm never home, so I would like something with a good base that I know is going to be there for a while.

I do believe you can top it after it cures out (not sure the time on that). And it looks like Opti-seal on it's own, so it's like everything else, depends on your tastes in looks.

Chris Thomas
01-12-2010, 04:17 PM
I have it, I have used it on my car, I have applied it for clients. It IS all it claims to be and you can top it with anything. Looks like a very clean, optically clear sealant when applied. It is as easy to apply as OptiSeal, but care must be taken to not leave any high spots (just do small sections and keep a high powered flashlight handy). The reasons it's pro only are because it's made to order, needs to be applied to a near perfect surface, and would have to be abrasively removed it incorrectly applied. The syringe it comes in will do several cars and with it's shelf life, that would NOT be cost effective for the hobbiest unless you have a few cars lined up. My car has had it on there for almost 2 years and is doing very well. I do keep OCW and OS on top of it, but the beading is way more than they provide alone and I have clayed the car only to find it didn't need it, so it keeps stuff from bonding too. I've had my car since 2004, so I know the coating is leaps and bounds beyond my normal regman would provide on it's own. A client has nothing but the coating (never tops with even a QD after washing) and it still looks and beads great at 1 year.

I know it is a Professional product only. Have any of you pros tried it yet? As I understand it actually provides a measurable coating that is claimed to last 3 years! Optimum is such a great line that I believe it. Can you top it with a nuba? Is it hard to apply? How do QD's work with it? Any input is much appreciated!

Chris Thomas
01-12-2010, 04:19 PM

clay will not remove the coating from my expericence.

turbos17
01-12-2010, 06:14 PM
clay will not remove the coating from my expericence.

I find that hard to believe!

Old Tiger
01-12-2010, 07:01 PM
I think this coating measures in microns and is similar in hardness to glass. It can be compounded to remove it. Integra, thanks for the input! Let me ask you if you had a garage queen that you pampered. would you apply Opti-Coat?T In other words, would you use it for looks if durability wasnt an issue? Also how suscseptable is it to marring from washing, etc? TIA

BTW, I would agree with Integra RE clay not removing OC based on my research to date.

Chris Thomas
01-13-2010, 01:18 AM
I find that hard to believe!

Have you used it? <----retotical question:confused:

I have clayed my car twice without reapplying it and it is still there. The manufacturer states that it must be removed with abrasives, so you must use some badass clay.

Chris Thomas
01-13-2010, 01:37 AM
I think this coating measures in microns and is similar in hardness to glass. It can be compounded to remove it. Integra, thanks for the input! Let me ask you if you had a garage queen that you pampered. would you apply Opti-Coat?T In other words, would you use it for looks if durability wasnt an issue? Also how suscseptable is it to marring from washing, etc? TIA

BTW, I would agree with Integra RE clay not removing OC based on my research to date.

I would use it on anything I cared for; a garage queen especially. Anything between your paint and the elements that is that hard will save you time and money down the road. Let's say someone sets a cardboard box on your hood and marrs(light scratches) the finish as they pick it up. If you have the coating, you just buff the spot and add more coating. If you don't have it, you are taking paint off to fix it. It will marr and scratch like paint, but I'd rather polish off the coating than paint, if that makes sense.

evilwrx
01-13-2010, 07:44 AM
How would this product work when restoring headlights? Does it contain any UV inhibitors?

turbos17
01-13-2010, 09:51 AM
Have you used it? <----retotical question:confused:

I have clayed my car twice without reapplying it and it is still there. The manufacturer states that it must be removed with abrasives, so you must use some badass clay.

No haven't used it, but I don't see how something like that will hold up to an aggressive clay (which I have used before and it strips everything). How do you know it is their again after claying? :confused:

Chris Thomas
01-13-2010, 12:21 PM
How would this product work when restoring headlights? Does it contain any UV inhibitors?

Yes it will coat any surface except rubber. Yes it has UV inhibitors.

No haven't used it, but I don't see how something like that will hold up to an aggressive clay (which I have used before and it strips everything). How do you know it is their again after claying? :confused:
It's at least as hard as paint when cured and paint withstands clay bar treatments, so I'm not sure what kind of explaination would satisfy you. If you are legitimately interested in the chemistry and capabilities in a capacity more than a Professional Detailer's experience, Dr. David Ghodoussi at Optimum Polymer Technologies in Memphis, TN would be happy to help. There is a dedicated thread about Opticoat at Optimum Forums too for more information. I can tell its there from the look, from the beading, and from the ease of cleaning the car compared to my "experience" with the car prior to apply the coating. I think what you may have trouble getting your head around is that this is NOT an LSP, it's a coating. Once you get that concept down, you may begin to understand the capabilities.

Old Tiger
01-13-2010, 01:12 PM
I have an invisible bra on my XLR. Could I remove the bra and have similar protection using just Opti-Coat?