PDA

View Full Version : Scored a few high end cars, need you help!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

anson89
01-10-2010, 06:09 PM
Recently, I scored a few exotic cars to do details with me at a Cars and Coffee meet. I don't have much experience with some of these cars unless they are the same?

Here's the list of cars that I'm about to do business with:
Audi R8
Lamborghini LP-670SV
Porsche Carrera GT
Viper ACR
Ferrari F430 Scuderia
Highly modded Corvette ZR1

I have a few questions:

1. The Lamborghini SV is in Matte White. I have no experience with Matte colors. I'm gonna assume that it's the same process as washing a normal vehicle, clar bar. But polish, compound, glaze, sealant and wax wise - I have no clue on this. What are your thoughts?

2. Some of these cars have vents etc etc all over and am afraid to get water in there - this can be an expensive damage. The ZR1 owner told me to NOT get water into his carbon fiber hood. How do you proceed with this?

3. The Porsche Carrera GT has been clear bra-ed all over the car - the whole car! Would detailing on a clear bra be the same procedure as a normal car?

4. Some of them prefer house calls. This is a "weekend warrior" type of job for me. Would they prefer me to use my own water or etc etc? Or can I work things out with them on using their water? I'm not mobile as well.

5. There are swirls on the pinstripe of the Viper ACR. Would the same procedure of detailing a car be on the same on stickers/pinstripes?

Thanks guys!

ObsessiveAutoDetail
01-10-2010, 06:12 PM
Are you insured???

anson89
01-10-2010, 06:15 PM
Are you insured???

No I am not, unfortunately. It's a weekend job and I am a college student.

ASPHALT ROCKET
01-10-2010, 06:27 PM
Honestly with all these questions you have, have not worked on these cars before and not having insurance you would be best not to work on them. There ws a perfect example on Topia last year were someone worked on a Lambo with little experience and ruined the trim. Plus with a higher end client you better be on your game and the cars better end up being perfect.

ObsessiveAutoDetail
01-10-2010, 06:28 PM
I'm sorry. I didn't mean to sound like a smart @ss... that's just quite a fleet of cars to be starting out on. Not assuming anything here, but based on your list of questions here... I'd say you are relatively new to auto detailing???

1.) Not too sure on that one. The entire car is matte? I have clients who own American muscle cars with the "SS" type stripes that are actually painted on in a matte black or white, I tape them off so as not to polish them. I have never tackled an entire matte finished vehicle.

2.) While I would not directly pump water into the vents, a little will not hurt. Most of the vents on these cars are actually functional, brake cooling and so on.

3.) There are products for dealing with clear protective coatings. Some people use them (I do), and some do not. If it is in good condition, just a quick detailer will do fine.

4.) That would have to be worked out with your customers. I personally have clients drop off cars at my house. I personally would never dream of using a clients water or electric. That's just my opinion.

5.) TAPE off pin striping. Unless it is under the clear, probably not though... tape it off. You will more likely do more damage than you can afford.

Just TAKE YOUR TIME! Those are some pretty expensive cars.

-josh

Shane731
01-10-2010, 07:06 PM
Todd Helme (TH0001) and Joe Fernandez (Superior Shine) are both highly skilled professional detailers. They are both members on Meguiar's Online, and I believe Todd is a member on AG as well, though it looks like he hasn't been on here in a while. Their websites and contact information are below (got the emails from MOL). I would email both of them and ask them your questions, since they both work on exotics and high end cars quite a bit. Hope this helps!

Todd Helme
Orlando, FL
Email: tropicaldetailing@yahoo.com
Website: Bella Macchina: The Art of Detailing -Home- (http://www.belladetailing.com/)

Joe Fernandez
Covina/Los Angeles, CA
Email: joe@superiorshine.com
Website: Superior Shine Mobile Auto Detailing, Creating shine since 1989, WE COME TO YOU! (http://www.superiorshine.com/)

nittyv12
01-10-2010, 08:27 PM
im not sure waht da zr-1 owner was talkin bout(dont get water in/on carbon fiber hood), but for the most part, if ur tryin to maintain hi-end work just get as much info as possible. if they've taken care of their cars u may not have to put in extensive work pass whateva skillz u have. with the vents, dont spray water towards them, wet'em down from da back to da front. some vents cool da engines(upper) while lower ones cool brakes. so u wouldnt want to flood engine vents. if nothing else find da dealers to each vehicle and find out more

Clutch34
01-10-2010, 10:48 PM
wow, that's a helluva nice set of cars you got lined up! I wish you all the best man! Good luck!

dublifecrisis
01-10-2010, 11:23 PM
Unless allllll these people are like close friends that come over for cookouts and what not, I would not touch the cars without insurance and complete confidence of the job at hand. There's a reason it cost's 3-4 bills to get an oil change for these types of cars just as there's a reason that folks like Todd can charge $1200-$1500 for a detail.

just my .02. I'm a hobbyist detailer for the most part and have worked on some fairly decent luxury cars. I'm not saying I would shy away from the shot at laying my hands on an R8 or a lambo but...

Hey Asphalt! I was JUST thinking about that poor kid with the lambo story! that was one of the craziest stories to follow. After reading the whole autopia thread I went over to the lambo forum and read the rest. I can still see the shot of the kid smoking the cuban cigar while he took a break from his mad rotary skills.
pics are removed but here's the story...

Teaser of the Year! - Autopia.org (http://www.autopia.org/forum/pro-details-before-after/114359-teaser-year.html)

WRAPT C5Z06
01-10-2010, 11:43 PM
The fact that youre asking all those questions, yet you still want to work on these cars? Some people never cease to amaze me. Wow......

tkblazer
01-11-2010, 12:28 AM
i'm a noob so i may be talkin out my rear, but it sounds like you are way over your head.. it would be cool to work on those cars but i would let a real pro handle the job in case something goes wrong. best of luck and let us know what happens

ASPHALT ROCKET
01-11-2010, 01:03 AM
Dublife, thats the first thing that came to mind when I read this thread. It is great to get paid what I do to work on these types of cars, but if you do not have the experience it is in your best interest to not take a chance and have an oppps. One mistake on one of those cars and you will not be detailing anything in the end.

WindyCity
01-11-2010, 10:56 AM
Personally I dont use anything from the homeowner.....Water isn't too bad but buffers, extractors, and steamers use ALOT of power and they like to "pop" circuits. Then you have to knock on the door, find the electrical panel, reset the right circuit and apologize for messing up all of the clocks and hope that they weren't using a computer that suddenly shut down and lost some info.......I bring EVERYTHING I need to do my job....and i mean everything, my trailer even has a toilet so i never have to bother a costumer for anything!

Personally if I were you I would have them bring their car to you....then you can take your time with their car and the upside is they wont be watching you since they wont be there!

Wendell Jarvis
01-11-2010, 11:09 AM
Unless allllll these people are like close friends that come over for cookouts and what not, I would not touch the cars without insurance and complete confidence of the job at hand. There's a reason it cost's 3-4 bills to get an oil change for these types of cars just as there's a reason that folks like Todd can charge $1200-$1500 for a detail.

just my .02. I'm a hobbyist detailer for the most part and have worked on some fairly decent luxury cars. I'm not saying I would shy away from the shot at laying my hands on an R8 or a lambo but...

Hey Asphalt! I was JUST thinking about that poor kid with the lambo story! that was one of the craziest stories to follow. After reading the whole autopia thread I went over to the lambo forum and read the rest. I can still see the shot of the kid smoking the cuban cigar while he took a break from his mad rotary skills.
pics are removed but here's the story...

Teaser of the Year! - Autopia.org (http://www.autopia.org/forum/pro-details-before-after/114359-teaser-year.html)

:iagree: I also have customers sign off on a document I created stating condition of car when brought in to me, scratches, dents..damage in general,,,then I take pics before detailing (sometimes with customer in picture) just to cover my butt, plus I am insured too.

anson89
01-11-2010, 02:09 PM
Honestly with all these questions you have, have not worked on these cars before and not having insurance you would be best not to work on them. There ws a perfect example on Topia last year were someone worked on a Lambo with little experience and ruined the trim. Plus with a higher end client you better be on your game and the cars better end up being perfect.

I have worked on a Lamborghini LP640, Aston Martin DBS and Ferrai 360 before. So an exotic is nothing new. If you refer to my previous questions, they're actually not the normal "everyday" detailing questions. More focused on exotic, especially that Matte White finish.

wow, that's a helluva nice set of cars you got lined up! I wish you all the best man! Good luck!

Thank you sir!

The fact that youre asking all those questions, yet you still want to work on these cars? Some people never cease to amaze me. Wow......

Refer to my questions. I'm here to learn and get opinions, not to be bashed out. Thanks.