PDA

View Full Version : Detail Rig: Truck? Or Van?

Kris R
01-09-2010, 10:25 AM
I'm wanting to pick up a cheap work truck, like a F-250 or a Ford Econoline Van.

I want to put a skid in there with a 90 gallon water tank, an air compressor, generator and a pressure washer.

I could keep everything else in bins. I really want to do the Truck. But I worry about the weather getting on my stuff when its not in use. Just think the truck is cooler than the van but the van is covered....

Any suggestions?

WindyCity
01-09-2010, 11:48 AM
Van all the way. Keep you stuff closed up, locked up , and OUT of the sun. If you stop to grab lunch or at 7-11 for a soda someone can swipe your stuff out of a truck. The sun turns polish, clay, waxes ETC to runny goo. and if it rains you stuff gets soaked and you have to hustle to cover it up......

I have a 5x8 ENCLOSED trailer and couldn't imagine any sort of "open" type rig. Plus with a van you can mount shelves on the wall and will triple your cargo space.....trust me space runs out fast! I have an s10 that i detailed out of and i dont have enough room for all of my stuff even without the water tank!

TMD
01-09-2010, 01:59 PM
Did the open 5 X 10 trailer for a year or so and hated it. Have since moved into a cargo van and wouldn't have it any other way.

Good Luck!

nittyv12
01-09-2010, 04:31 PM
van, trailer, all the way. u get security an protection from the elements. the one thing i found out was depending on what model van/truck u may have to get commercial auto insurance. so if u dont want to go that way check w/ insurance agency 1st

TMD
01-09-2010, 06:38 PM
In response to "nittyv12" and his insurance assessment:

We have all of our insurance policies with USAA, and they require us to have the following:

Liability - Bodily injury (Per Person & Per Accident) and Property Damage
Uninsured Motorists - Bodily Injury (Person & Accident) and Property Damage
Physical Damage - Comprehensive Loss and Collision Loss

And that's just for the vehicle and whatever happens to get hit by it. That does not include Business Insurance, which because of the hacks in the industry ain't easy to get and is classified as an "Ultra Specialty Service". And if you form a corporation you're also gonna have the state fees for that as well, along with the *%#@*& taxes.

I went a little overboard with this response, but the primary point is you're gonna need/want commercial insurance on whatever vehicle you decide to go with. We do after-all live in a sue-happy society.

AeroCleanse
01-09-2010, 07:22 PM
I had a pickup but when it was time to buy something else, I got a minivan. I don't need to haul water tanks or anything, so the minivan suits me. Its not dedicated to detailing so a full size van for me was overkill.

nittyv12
01-09-2010, 08:09 PM
tmd...icouldnt agree with u more. i also wouldnt run any business w/o insurance; cya!!!

astrogus
01-09-2010, 10:13 PM
I'm wanting to pick up a cheap work truck, like a F-250 or a Ford Econoline Van.

I want to put a skid in there with a 90 gallon water tank, an air compressor, generator and a pressure washer.

I could keep everything else in bins. I really want to do the Truck. But I worry about the weather getting on my stuff when its not in use. Just think the truck is cooler than the van but the van is covered....

Any suggestions?

I use a 97 Chevy Astro with 156k on the clock and shes never let me down, Idk if your a ford guy but you cant go wrong with an Astro the engines are bullett proof, they have no problem seeing 250-300+K miles.

sullysdetailing
01-10-2010, 12:30 AM
Since I'm guessing you have a jeep, I would try and get a 4x6 or 5X6 inclosed trailer. You can find a used trailer for about $1000 and get a new pressure washer and 90 gallon tank for about $800.

You can also find used detailing vans with pressure washer and tank already in them for about $5000-10000.

WindyCity
01-10-2010, 02:55 PM
Plus with a truck you have to load up everything in the morning and take it all out at the end of the day...A van or trailer is secure so you can keep it all in there and be ready to go in the morning. No forgeting or leaving something behind. If the van will be multi use then you can pre-load it the night before and save yourself time in the morning. If a detail runs late and you have evening plans you pull up to your house lock it up and deal with it later, this happens to me all the time when I arrive home and it is time to go to dinner. Lock it up and and clean it out later.............As stated earlier if you have a jeep you can pull a 5x8 trailer. This is the cheapest way to go. Insurance on a trailer is cheap and there is virtually no maintance. I bought a brand new one for 2600 and you can find them used for 1200 or so. I like everything new and i couldnt find a 5x8 with a side door so i had to order mine. Both my s10 and my wifes rav4 can easily pull a 5x8 so i have options if one of the cars is down for maintenance.

Good luck with your decision.
Here is my trailer

sullysdetailing
01-10-2010, 05:48 PM
How much was your trailer with pressure washer and tank and where did you order your trailer from?

WindyCity
01-10-2010, 07:36 PM
My trailer was 2600 out the door taxes, title, & plates. It is a Pace American journey....you can find their dealers on their website. I upgraded it with a side door, LED lights and most importantly torsion axles. These axles lower the trailer 2-3 inches so it will fit into a standard garage (very important to me). Most trailers have a straight axle with leaf springs and with a torsion axles it is kinda like independent suspension.....gives the trailer a lower stance and a smoother ride. I am building the interior myself with what I want. I looked at all of the "detail" trailer companies out there and for the price i can do it myself for a whole hell of alot cheaper and it will be how I want it done. It has a 50 gallon water tank....and I think the tank was 120 total including shipping!:dblthumb2: