PDA

View Full Version : Question about KSG curing and water condensation...

Pages : [1] 2

Ankhenaton
10-08-2006, 09:42 PM
Basically, I will apply the KSG at 8am Weds, and buff off on 8am Thurs (or 5pm Weds *9hrs*). I will then apply the 2nd coat immeadiatley after removing the first coat. This is where I have a question. I am from south NJ. Where I live, water condensation starts to form on my cars around 7pm ish and doesn't completely go away until about 10:30am, 11am ish the next morning.

As you can see, that will be past the time I want to remove the first coat of KSG. My question is, what do I do about the water condensation before taking off the first coat of KSG? Can I just dry it off with a MF towel?

Please help me with this because this because I don't want to mess up the first coat of KSG.

ScottB
10-08-2006, 10:08 PM
Most paint sealants, KSG included, want around 8-24 hours without water or dampness when curing properly. That does not necessarily equate to leaving the sealant on , but more about allowing time to allow the environment to lock in the durability paint sealants are famous for ...

As for KSG ... I am warning you that it is finicky. I know you have used Zaino, but think very, very light coating. I have found small travel size spray bottles and the WOWO (Wipe On Wipe Off Immediately) is the easiest way to remove it. Use a little more on stubborn spots and it comes right off. If the combo seems a little sterile (very reflective, glossy, but missing something) then consider Quikshine or any qd'er+. The Klasse twins are quite bulletproof and well regarded but need a little care.

Paulie Walnuts
10-08-2006, 10:12 PM
Basically, I will apply the KSG at 8am Weds, and buff off on 8am Thurs (or 5pm Weds *9hrs*). I will then apply the 2nd coat immeadiatley after removing the first coat. This is where I have a question. I am from south NJ. Where I live, water condensation starts to form on my cars around 7pm ish and doesn't completely go away until about 10:30am, 11am ish the next morning.

As you can see, that will be past the time I want to remove the first coat of KSG. My question is, what do I do about the water condensation before taking off the first coat of KSG? Can I just dry it off with a MF towel?

Please help me with this because this because I don't want to mess up the first coat of KSG.I have found that the best way to do Klasse SG is to throw it away and get some Zaino, I kid I kid!

Best way when I use SG on my brothers car is to wipe on wipe off. Apply to a panel, move to the next then come back and wipe it right off. It should sit for no more than 2 mins and then it comes right off.

As for the dew on your car realize that dust and other scratch potential particles adhere to the moisture on your car. By you applying the SG letting it get wet and then wanting to remove it you are heavily risking marring the surface. I would do the WOWO or let it only set for an hour and remove it.

sparkie
10-08-2006, 10:17 PM
I never waited 8 hours to buff off KSG. I put KSG on and wait about 1/2 to 1 hour and buff off. Let us know how that comes out! But if I wanted to put on another coat of KSG I wait a least 8 hour or more to reapply another coat. As far as taking it off with condensation on the car, don't really don't know I may be wrong, but I think it will be OK, maybe someone will chime in on this. I use a QD and a MF to take it off.

sparkie
10-08-2006, 10:23 PM
I have found that the best way to do Klasse SG is to throw it away and get some Zaino, I kid I kid!

Best way when I use SG on my brothers car is to wipe on wipe off. Apply to a panel, move to the next then come back and wipe it right off. It should sit for no more than 2 mins and then it comes right off.

As for the dew on your car realize that dust and other scratch potential particles adhere to the moisture on your car. By you applying the SG letting it get wet and then wanting to remove it you are heavily risking marring the surface. I would do the WOWO or let it only set for an hour and remove it.

Zaino and Duragloss are the same right?

Paulie Walnuts
10-08-2006, 10:28 PM
Zaino and Duragloss are the same right?Hehe not sure if you are joking or serious but no they are not the same.

Although it does make one wonder being how similar they are doesnt it!!?!?!?!?!??

Ankhenaton
10-08-2006, 10:28 PM
So I don't run into the condensation/dew problem, I think I am only going to put on 1 coat of KSG then wait a few hours and put on the PS.

About this WOWO method, you mean its just better to just apply it then remove it within minutes? The webpage says to let it cure for at least 8-12 hours or more. (Not questioning your methods at all but just wondering since I am new to detailing.)

ALSO, when I want to remove the Zaino from my car, what should I do it with? Is the AIO enough to do it?

Paulie Walnuts
10-08-2006, 10:36 PM
So I don't run into the condensation/dew problem, I think I am only going to put on 1 coat of KSG then wait a few hours and put on the PS.

About this WOWO method, you mean its just better to just apply it then remove it within minutes? The webpage says to let it cure for at least 8-12 hours or more. (Not questioning your methods at all but just wondering since I am new to detailing.)

ALSO, when I want to remove the Zaino from my car, what should I do it with? Is the AIO enough to do it?Yes AIO will remove the Z. May I ask what about Z you did not like that you are removing it?

Ankhenaton
10-08-2006, 10:55 PM
I love the Z! However, in hindsight, I realized I used too much (over half the bottle of Z2 and Z5 for two coats!!) and buffed it off with condensation on the car (I checked, no swirls, marring, or scrathces). Since I want to do it right, I thought I would try something different, namely carnauba this time around. I will still use the Z on my other car though (A '99 Ford Tauras).

sparkie
10-08-2006, 11:03 PM
Hehe not sure if you are joking or serious but no they are not the same.
A little of both! LOL

Although it does make one wonder being how similar they are doesnt it!!?!?!?!?!??
YEP!

Paulie Walnuts
10-08-2006, 11:32 PM
I love the Z! However, in hindsight, I realized I used too much (over half the bottle of Z2 and Z5 for two coats!!) and buffed it off with condensation on the car (I checked, no swirls, marring, or scrathces). Since I want to do it right, I thought I would try something different, namely carnauba this time around. I will still use the Z on my other car though (A '99 Ford Tauras).Man over 4ozs weeee!!! Thats some protected Z!!

Im off to bed, see you all tomorrow.

ScottB
10-09-2006, 07:38 AM
I love the Z! However, in hindsight, I realized I used too much (over half the bottle of Z2 and Z5 for two coats!!) and buffed it off with condensation on the car (I checked, no swirls, marring, or scrathces). Since I want to do it right, I thought I would try something different, namely carnauba this time around. I will still use the Z on my other car though (A '99 Ford Tauras).

you do realize that Klasse is a paint sealant also , correct ?? It is an acrylic versus poly sealant but both products are synthetic in nature.

Ankhenaton
10-09-2006, 10:08 AM
Honestly, I would just skip the klasse altogether but I have read that PS doesn't bond with Zaino. Is that correct?

ScottB
10-09-2006, 10:17 AM
PS will top Zaino just fine .... its just that some say it does not look any different. Z5pro adds reflectivity and gloss. PS adds depth, glow, and wetness. Is one more noticable than the other, who knows as it comes down to personal taste as perception.

There seems to be a reason why Souveran makes it to serious car shows like the Pebbles DeConcours and such and other dont. These are not just old dogs that wont learn new tricks. These are guys/gals that want the absolute best look and choose Souveran over Z, Zymol Estate Glazes at thousands of dollars, and even low production limited edition products. I think Souveran is something to not be missed.

Paulie Walnuts
10-09-2006, 12:18 PM
PS will top Zaino just fine .... its just that some say it does not look any different. Z5pro adds reflectivity and gloss. PS adds depth, glow, and wetness. Is one more noticable than the other, who knows as it comes down to personal taste as perception.Dead on. :D