PDA

View Full Version : Another customer who's clearcoat is chipping off....

dunston
01-07-2010, 05:15 AM
What are my best steps to do to make it look better than it does now. When I get these cars I'll shoot pic of them for you guys to see. Thanks!

DLB
01-07-2010, 08:10 AM
What color is the car?

DLB

Mike Phillips
01-07-2010, 08:14 AM
Once the clear layer starts to chip off there's really nothing you can do to fix the prob em or even make it look better. You can use a cleaner/wax on whatever good clear coat is left on the car and that will help make the overall appearance of the car look better.

Educate your customer on what the problem is and that no detailer can fix it as the honest fix is a new paint job.

:)

dunston
01-07-2010, 12:16 PM
Yea, I told him I detail cars not paint them. He said he will bring it by and I'll take some photos and see what you guys suggest. Thanks!

DLB
01-07-2010, 12:44 PM
In order to make it right, Mike is correct - it just needs to be painted.
But if he wants a Band-Aid to hold him over, I have successfully used colored wax before to make it look good until the next wash or rain.

If it is black, that is actually the easiest to do it on - as Turtle Wax (shun) sells the "black box" that is just such a band aid.

Make sure they know however that it will only look good for a little while.

DLB

christian900se
01-08-2010, 04:31 PM
I used PB's Black Hole on an older Porsche with clearcoat failure and it did a shockingly good job of masking it up from a distance. I made sure to apply two solid layers of wax on top to try and seal the fillers and dyes in the PB's but it is obviously not an ideal or permanent solution.