PDA

View Full Version : Menzerna 85RD as a Paint Cleaner?

Pages : [1] 2

roman2e
01-06-2010, 12:50 PM
Recently I have read a lot of questions and comments about the Menzerna 85RD. Judging by my experience this product works great for “Jewel” before applying wax or Sealant.

But some times you don’t have the time to used 4 or 5 products to detail your vehicle and want to do a short detialing but effective. That’s why I will like to ask. If the Menz. 85RD can be used as a Paint Cleaner ? :buffing:

Example of procedure:
1-Wash
2- Clay bar
3-Menzerna 85RD with LC White pad
4-WG Sealant or Wax

Will this work or the cutting power of the M85RD is not that aggressive? Let me know your experience with this product or comments? Thanks!Feed back please

Matt S.
01-06-2010, 01:17 PM
85RD has pretty much NO cutting power.

However, if the finish is already in great shape and you want to give it a light polish before waxing/sealing, 85RD would be just fine - especially if you're claying.

roman2e
01-06-2010, 01:28 PM

However, if the finish is already in great shape and you want to give it a light polish before waxing/sealing, 85RD would be just fine - especially if you're claying.

Great idea I can use the 85RD as a light polish maybe once or twice per year just to keep the surface of the paint clean and remove old wax or sealant, then apply a new coat of wax/sealant. Then for the heavy detailing (once per year) the WG duo follow by 85Rd to "jewel" the paint. Thanks :dblthumb2:

Matt S.
01-06-2010, 01:51 PM
Great idea I can use the 85RD as a light polish maybe once or twice per year just to keep the surface of the paint clean and remove old wax or sealant, then apply a new coat of wax/sealant. Then for the heavy detailing (once per year) the WG duo follow by 85Rd to "jewel" the paint. Thanks :dblthumb2:

You got it!

jbnery6465
01-06-2010, 04:42 PM
If I'm using Meg 105(orange pad)/205(white pad) for paint correction, would using 205 with a gray pad yield the same results as jeweling with the 85RD? I just don't want to have too many products but need enough to do the paint correction.

ASPHALT ROCKET
01-06-2010, 04:47 PM
If I'm using Meg 105(orange pad)/205(white pad) for paint correction, would using 205 with a gray pad yield the same results as jeweling with the 85RD? I just don't want to have too many products but need enough to do the paint correction.

They would be kinda close but I always use 85rd or Ultrafina after 205. 205 just doesn't have what 85rd or Ultrafina has to offer as far as depth, clarity, and gloss.

Matt S.
01-06-2010, 04:49 PM

You won't get the SAME results - 205 is certainly not a jeweling polish as it has a decent amount of cut for a finishing polish. But, you will achieve a FINER finish with the gray pad as opposed to the white pad.

With that said, I've found that going straight from 105/orange to 205/gray is good enough to call it a day in most all cases. Following with something like 85RD or Ultrafina is entirely optional - to some it's worth it, to some it's not. On certain paints, one may not even notice a difference, while on other paints it may be night and day. Just remember that everything is pretty subjective in the world of detailing and sometimes you have to test certain things to find what achieves the best results. :props:

jbnery6465
01-06-2010, 04:53 PM
They would be kinda close but I always use 85rd or Ultrafina after 205. 205 just doesn't have what 85rd or Ultrafina has to offer as far as depth, clarity, and gloss.

Cool, it also may be different based on personal taste and the color of the paint. I have both older black cars and brand new white and silver cars. I know that finishing with 85RD will make the paint LSP ready without the need of ZAIO (I'll be using Z2 Pro). I've seen several professional detailers on these forums going straight to Z2 or Z5 right after 205 on white. So I guess it's all about trial and error.

I'm very interested to see how the 205 and 85RD compare when used on the newer scratch free ceramic clears.

David Fermani
01-06-2010, 07:19 PM
That’s why I will like to ask. If the Menz. 85RD can be used as a Paint Cleaner ? :buffing:

Will this work or the cutting power of the M85RD is not that aggressive? Let me know your experience with this product or comments?

Depending on the finish, 85RD will work great as a "paint cleaner" in the sence that it can remove a very respectable amount of defects/swirls/micromarring at the same time creating an incredible amount of gloss. It's my go-to polish on soft paints like Porsche, Bentley & Rolls Royce, Toyota/Lexus & Rovers. I just tried using 85RD on a black Nissan GTR and it worked really well.

I think "NO cutting power" is a gross understatement. Next chance you get try it again and you might be really surprised. I believe on some paints, it would have no problem removing 2000 grit defects.

I know that finishing with 85RD will make the paint LSP ready without the need of ZAIO (I'll be using Z2 Pro). I've seen several professional detailers on these forums going straight to Z2 or Z5 right after 205 on white.

Make sure you do atleast 1-2 good alcohol wipe downs before applying Zaino. I've personally witnessed bonding problems with the oils that Menzerna leaves behind on the finish. I always do a Dawn wash and a couple wipedowns myself just to be on the safe side no matter what polish I use prior to sealing the paint.

mcpp66
01-06-2010, 07:47 PM
Make sure you do atleast 1-2 good alcohol wipe downs before applying Zaino. I've personally witnessed bonding problems with the oils that Menzerna leaves behind on the finish. I always do a Dawn wash and a couple wipedowns myself just to be on the safe side no matter what polish I use prior to sealing the paint.

I'm curious.......you said you've witnessed bonding problems with the oils that Menzerna leaves behind.........how do you know when you have a bonding problem? What does that look like?

roman2e
01-06-2010, 08:00 PM
Depending on the finish, 85RD will work great as a "paint cleaner" in the sence that it can remove a very respectable amount of defects/swirls/micromarring at the same time creating an incredible amount of gloss. It's my go-to polish on soft paints like Porsche, Bentley & Rolls Royce, Toyota/Lexus & Rovers. I just tried using 85RD on a black Nissan GTR and it worked really well.

I think "NO cutting power" is a gross understatement. Next chance you get try it again and you might be really surprised. I believe on some paints, it would have no problem removing 2000 grit defects.

NOTE: When you compare the WG FG 3.0 with the 85RD you can notice that the 85RD fills more “oily”.

Thanks! For the tip, because I did not know about the wipe down with alcohol after the polish, especially if I used a Paint Sealant like WG DGPS. Thanks, again for your reply it has been very helpful.:thankyousign:

David Fermani
01-06-2010, 09:41 PM
I'm curious.......you said you've witnessed bonding problems with the oils that Menzerna leaves behind.........how do you know when you have a bonding problem? What does that look like?

Zaino beads water like bee-bees bouncing off plexiglass. You can definately tell when the product has shedded off the surface. I've witnessed failure on both my wife's vehicle and a customer's. The water beaded normal after the 1st or 2nd wash and immediately took a huge nose dive there after. Both vehicles were polished with Menzerna and neither of the surfaces were cleaned of oil. If you talk to Sal Zaino he will specifically tell you that it's very important for his product to be applied to clean paint. I now know why. Countless others on various forums have witnessed similar problems. I've also been told by numerous sources that many polymer sealants should be applied to clean surfaces. Some polishes have ingredients that can interfere with the bonding process of certain sealants. I can elaborate if needed....

jbnery6465
01-07-2010, 11:48 AM
Zaino beads water like bee-bees bouncing off plexiglass. You can definately tell when the product has shedded off the surface. I've witnessed failure on both my wife's vehicle and a customer's. The water beaded normal after the 1st or 2nd wash and immediately took a huge nose dive there after. Both vehicles were polished with Menzerna and neither of the surfaces were cleaned of oil. If you talk to Sal Zaino he will specifically tell you that it's very important for his product to be applied to clean paint. I now know why. Countless others on various forums have witnessed similar problems. I've also been told by numerous sources that many polymer sealants should be applied to clean surfaces. Some polishes have ingredients that can interfere with the bonding process of certain sealants. I can elaborate if needed....

Does Meg 205 have the same 'oily' finish as 85RD? I'm pretty sure a good wash and IPA wipedown should clean the paint after the final polish. Do you know if there is a performance/durability difference in the sealant (Z2 Pro) when its applied to paint wiped down with IPA vs paint prepped with ZAIO?

mcpp66
01-07-2010, 12:38 PM

Basically, after polishing do an IPA wipe down on all polished areas (which should be done anyhow to visually inspect the results), then wash the car. The IPA wipe down will remove all of the oils of the polish and then the wash will remove any leftover polish residue leaving the paint surface clean so a sealant can be applied and left to bond properly to the surface.

David Fermani
01-07-2010, 01:24 PM
Does Meg 205 have the same 'oily' finish as 85RD? I'm pretty sure a good wash and IPA wipedown should clean the paint after the final polish. Do you know if there is a performance/durability difference in the sealant (Z2 Pro) when its applied to paint wiped down with IPA vs paint prepped with ZAIO?

M205 oil is much thinner and easier to remove. I can't comment on ZAIO because I don't use it, but I'm sure either option will clear the finish well enought to promote proper bonding ofZ2.

mcpp66: Perfect revision! :xyxthumbs: