PDA

View Full Version : Wolfgang confusion...please help

kmk56
01-04-2010, 07:44 PM
I have a 2006 Cadillac STS and 98 Corvette. Both are silver. Last January I took up semi serious detailing. I clay barred both cars and used Klasse AIO and then a couple coats of Klasse Sealant Glaze. Throughout 2009 I put various coats of Pinnacle Souveran, Wolfgang Fusion, and Dodo Diamond White on the cars. The cars look awesome. I have no swirls and maybe a few very fine scratches.

This Christmas I got the PC 7424XP and the Wolfgang kit which includes Total Swirl Remover 3.0, Finishing Glaze 3.0, and Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0. I was going to do the following:

Clay
TSR
FG
DGPS
Dodo Diamond White

After reading various forums some say if you have no swirls you do not need TSR. I then bought the Wolfgang Paintwork Polish enhancer. Then I would do:

Clay
Wppe
FG
DGPS
Dodo

Could someone give me direction on what is best?

Thank you

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
01-04-2010, 07:49 PM
It will vary from car to car. GM generally has a harder clear coat on their cars and Vettes generally have a clear coat on the harder side. The best thing to do is divide your hood into sections. Do one section with the TSR, FG, and sealant, and the other starting at the FG and sealant. The polish enhancer doesn't have any real polishing abilities as it's only a paint cleaner which means it will just strip the surface of previous waxes and sealants. If you're looking to do any kind of polishing on these cars, your best bet will be to start with the TSR.

Rsurfer
01-04-2010, 08:40 PM
Once again, least aggressive first. As Josh stated, do a test section (2x2) and see if the FG is enough. If not, step up to TSR. BTW welcome to AG.

ScottB
01-05-2010, 05:06 PM
I personally use the paint cleansing lotions when not polishing. When polishing I skip them. No right or wrong, and some suggest using the paint prep lotion after polishing to assure finish is ready for sealant. I doubt I would use it between clay and polishing however ...

kmk56
01-06-2010, 08:33 AM
My understanding now is that if my paint is in very good condition I should do the following with the PC 7424XP:

Clay
Wolfgang Paintwork Poilish Enhancer
Wolfgang Finishing Glaze
Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant
Wax of my choice

I would skip the Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover.

Does that sound good?

Matt S.
01-06-2010, 10:44 AM
IMO using clay, then PPE, then FG would be redundant. I would personally choose clay and Finishing Glaze with a gray finishing pad, mainly because I like the fact that you'll get slightly more gloss out of polishing with a VERY light abrasive like FG. The amount of paint you'll be leveling is so miniscule that it's nothing to really consider worrying about and probably couldn't be measured - especially on the hard Corvette paint.

If I was working by hand, however, I would use clay and Paintwork Polish Enhancer.

You are correct in that if you have no swirls, there is no need for TSR.