PDA

View Full Version : Polishing: OMG WHAT HAPPENED TO...

Pages : [1] 2

02blackout
01-04-2010, 03:32 PM
A 2X2 FOOT AREA USING OVERLAPPING, SLOW PASSES?!!? :buffing:
This dude is prob the worlds best detailer so he must be doing SOMETHING right?!
Is this because he has an orbital polisher and needs to go at a faster pace to prevent burning the paint???? He like literally applies heavy pressure and scrubs the paint?!?!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkXKyxv5n3Y]YouTube - Miracle Detail machine polishing Bugatti Veyron[/video]

agpatel
01-04-2010, 03:52 PM
Looks like Paul is using a finishing pad, and working it in...cant really tell...that jerking action action actually gives you a little more cut to help get some RIDS out a little better...with a rotary you can work a larger area compared to a PC because of the speed the polish breaks down.

Lasthope05
01-04-2010, 03:55 PM
I dont see anything really wrong. Different techniques for different people. I looks to me like he is only moving around fast a bit to initially spread the polish and then he makes a slow pass over it. Also when he is working near the A pillar that fast movement is to prevent any unnecessary heating and burning of the edges(The A pillar, hood, door and fender all meet there.)

dragster
01-04-2010, 04:08 PM
Lets see him detail a 10 year old car that has never been waxed. Do you really think that car need a detail?

trencher7
01-04-2010, 04:42 PM
If I ever graduate to use one of these instead of a DA, I would like to know how easy it is to burn paint and what you need to avoid it.

DLB
01-04-2010, 04:54 PM
Lets see him detail a 10 year old car that has never been waxed. Do you really think that car need a detail?
Look through his gallery and you will find a few 10+ year old cars.
Miracle Detail - Car detailing - Paintwork Correction (http://www.miracledetail.co.uk/)

Yes, a brand new Bugatti could have very well needed a detail. Swirls happen to all cars. Just because he happens to have a client base that includes a lot of 6 figure cars, doesn't mean he isn't very good at what he does.

DLB

Lasthope05
01-04-2010, 04:54 PM
If I ever graduate to use one of these instead of a DA, I would like to know how easy it is to burn paint and what you need to avoid it.

Its actually hard and takes a lot to burn paint but its easy to abrade the edges.

frosty
01-04-2010, 05:08 PM

I would suggest you find a junk panel. Work on it and see how long it takes to get through. I had a red mustang panel. I worked on it for on and off for a month. I did things such as scratching it with Brillo but it wore through faster than I would have thought. I think I worked it 5 to 10 sessions like I would a normal panel and actually got through it.

But this would give you a good idea though. Also, I recommend using tape around edges and seams.

dragster
01-04-2010, 05:13 PM
Very good marketing team. I dont believe a Bugatti will need a detail from a dealer.

Rsurfer
01-04-2010, 05:16 PM
A 2X2 FOOT AREA USING OVERLAPPING, SLOW PASSES?!!? :buffing:
This dude is prob the worlds best detailer so he must be doing SOMETHING right?!
Is this because he has an orbital polisher and needs to go at a faster pace to prevent burning the paint???? He like literally applies heavy pressure and scrubs the paint?!?!

- Miracle Detail machine polishing Bugatti Veyron ("http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkXKyxv5n3Y)
First of all that is not an orbital buffer...it's a makita rotary. And yes Paul is a well know detailer...so I guess he knows what he is doing.

skizot
01-04-2010, 07:14 PM
I am surprised by the reaction a little, but Paul is, as it's been said, a "well known" detailer. I would not put too much concern over this or a 10 year old car in his capable hands. The guy knows his stuff.

Derrick
01-04-2010, 07:48 PM
First of all that is not an orbital buffer...it's a makita rotary. And yes Paul is a well know detailer...so I guess he knows what he is doing.

:iagree:100%

Derrick

cnfowler
01-04-2010, 08:30 PM
Paul works on 6 and 7 figure vehicles on nearly every detail. 99% of the rest of the detailing world only dreams of working on these cars. I don't think you need to question whether or not he has the right technique or knowledge.

Colin

Harleyguy
01-04-2010, 08:48 PM
Paul works on 6 and 7 figure vehicles on nearly every detail. 99% of the rest of the detailing world only dreams of working on these cars. I don't think you need to question whether or not he has the right technique or knowledge.

ColinYes i would agree Paul is a well known detailer.It doesn't make a difference what the cost of a car is.My customers don't drive 6 figure cars and matter of fact some only can afford 4 figure cars but in there eyes it's just as inportant to them .And i also know alot of detailers who don't dream about doing 6 and 7 figure cars but take the same care as if they work on 6 or 7 figure cars.Paint is Paint and should be treated that way no matter the cost of the car or the detailer working on it .

DLB
01-04-2010, 08:48 PM

Colin
No doubt.
Marketing or internet hype doesn't land you a client base of the most expensive cars in the world...competency does.

Even if hype did get someone to buy into his services - you really think that many people are going to let him screw up a $500k car's paint just to see that he doesn't know what he's doing? Yeah right. Like him or not - he knows what he is doing I think.

DLB