PDA

View Full Version : Completely removing all KSG

Gregor
10-08-2006, 01:54 PM
So I've had some fun with the Klasse twins and now want to try something else. I have some DP Premium Surface Sealant and DP Max wax ready to go. I assume for the best results (assuming surface prep has been done) I need strip the KSG off before applying the DP PSS. As we know KSG is pretty durable, so I'm wondering how to completely remove it. The surface was recently polished with SSR 2.5, then SSR1.0. No clay.

From reading here are the options that I've found:

1) Polish it off. I have PB SSR1 so I could use that. Seems extreeme.
2) Alchohol. Not sure how well this works on SG. Also this seems like it might be a little harsh.
3) A paint cleaning product. I'd rather not spend more money at this time. However I will take recommendations for my Christmas list.
4) Clay it off. I'm not sure if clay will remove it completely or just smooth it out.
5) Klasse AIO. I understand the solvants in AIO will strip KSG off. I'm just not sure that the little coating left by AIO is the best surface to layer DP PSS on top of. I could be wrong, I just don't now.

Comments and suggestions appreciated.

justin_murphy
10-08-2006, 02:01 PM
I would clay then polish. Any mild polish will remove any wax/sealant. I would use SSR1.
You're gonna love DP's Sealant topped with some Max Wax!

supercharged
10-08-2006, 03:11 PM
Is that a new or old formula DP sealant?

Gregor
10-08-2006, 03:18 PM
Is that a new or old formula DP sealant?

New, purchased a couple weeks ago.

ScottB
10-08-2006, 04:12 PM
mild polish ... will jewel the surface and remove any light contamination while removing the KSG.

sparkie
10-08-2006, 06:17 PM
Question here! Can you not top KSG with DP's Sealant? Never used DP's Sealant, but I have used AIO, KSG, and about a week later Liquid Glass. Then the next day Megs NXT.

ScottB
10-08-2006, 06:49 PM
you probably could ... but I suspect most want to see what DP looks like on its own and its durability and upkeep.

sparkie
10-08-2006, 08:22 PM
you probably could ... but I suspect most want to see what DP looks like on its own and its durability and upkeep.
Oh! Thanks, yea I see what you are saying.

Gregor
10-08-2006, 08:56 PM

That's where I'm at. Still in the honeymoon phase and want to learn the ins and outs of each product.

OK, so we've got the imeadiate project covered, I'll go with the SSR1 as recommended. For my Christmas list, what would you use if you could pick any product from the AG shelves? Still a polish, or perhaps a paint cleaner?

ScottB
10-08-2006, 09:16 PM
Pinnacle Souveran Paste ....perfect Xmas gift and one product everyone should try at some point. Its the pinnacle of canauba's.

Ankhenaton
10-08-2006, 09:45 PM
What about Dawn?

ScottB
10-08-2006, 10:03 PM
What about Dawn?

Dawn would barely make a dent in most paint sealants. It is also highly alkaline and could damage weatherstripping and rubber surrounds when used repeatedly. I think dishwashing liquid should stay in the home, after all any polish or paint cleaner would work anyways and usually one of the steps in prepping the finish for the next LSP.

Al-53
10-09-2006, 07:25 AM
you can use Klasse AIO to remove it if you want....very good paint cleaner....The AIO will not effect the results of the DP sealant...

AIO has been used under many sealants with no real adverse effects...and gives a nice base....some have used AIO under Sov for a nice look

Al