PDA

View Full Version : Master list for OEM clearcoats

Hotrod20
01-02-2010, 03:13 PM
Does anyone have out a master list for identifying clear coats from the OEMs?
It would be good to have an at a glance product list to help select the right compounds to use on a exterior detail. I mean, only days ago, I found out that Mercedes used ceramic catalyzed clear coats on 2003 and up vehicles to help with the clear's hardness and resist scratches.
If I come across high end cars including Benz's it would be nice to ensure I am using the right stuff to produce a high gloss finished paint detail. :xyxthumbs:
Hotrod20

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
01-02-2010, 03:15 PM
I'm not sure if there is a list like this around. Maybe someone on here with a lot of experience with different cars could lend a hand. The thing is though, even if you have a list, a car could have been resprayed or something. I find it best to do a test spot to see what you're working with.

agpatel
01-02-2010, 05:22 PM
Clear coat hardness could be different from year to year, car to car, and place that the car got paint....one could be painted in the US the other Mexico, same car, but different hardness. In "general" Japan cars have softer paints, German have harder clears (some very hard like MB and VW), American can go both ways but mostly on the med side (Other than Vett which is rock hard as well), hmmm others are around the middle.

Best advice, test spot from least aggressive and go from there.

Wax Gorilla
01-03-2010, 09:54 AM
I did some research but have not found one. I have put some feelers out for a cross reference chart from some national finish companies and should here back soon as long as they don't feel it's proprietary.