PDA

View Full Version : How to fix cloth seats with burns?

Pages : [1] 2

LincolnZephyr2006
01-02-2010, 02:11 PM
Hey guys,
Does anyone know how to fix cloth seats with cig burns or hole? Any good DIY repair kits out there? I need to know ASAP! Thanks guys...

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
01-02-2010, 02:31 PM
I'm not sure of anything besides re-upholstery.

Lasthope05
01-02-2010, 03:19 PM
Take a razor blade and scrape the seats to remove some fibers and lint. Place a dab of super glue in the burn mark and place all the fibers you collected right on top to fill them up. Let the glue dry a few minutes and trim. Its not a perfect fix but it makes things look a lot better and cheaper than reupholstering.

LincolnZephyr2006
01-02-2010, 03:21 PM
Hmmm good idea... I will maybe try it. Has anyone ever used a DIY repair kit?

CharlesW
01-02-2010, 03:48 PM
Take a razor blade and scrape the seats to remove some fibers and lint. Place a dab of super glue in the burn mark and place all the fibers you collected right on top to fill them up. Let the glue dry a few minutes and trim. Its not a perfect fix but it makes things look a lot better and cheaper than reupholstering.
Depending on the vehicle, it is sometimes possible to get the fill in fuzz from the carpet. The advantage being that you can get the material form under a seat.
Like Lasthope05 says, it isn't perfect, but it does make a defect much less noticeable.

Shane731
01-02-2010, 08:50 PM
I went with Dr. Vinyl. They're a franchise, and I believe they'll come out to your home and fix it. I had a couple burn holes in my driver's seat that the previous owner had left (he was a smoker, but he only had the car for a couple months). I think it cost about $30 to get those few holes repaired. I went to Dr. Vinyl's website, and came up with this contact info for Dr. Vinyl franchisees in KY:

Linda and Mike Hook
Dr. Vinyl of Louisville, KY
(502) 447-6422
E-mail (vinylky@bellsouth.com)
Robert Popplewell and Donald Allen
Dr. Vinyl of Central Kentucky
(606) 787-0259
E-mail (d.s.allen@vol.com)

Here are a couple pics of my seat. You can kinda see where the holes were. Maybe not the best fix, but better than a couple holes in the seat.
http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/500/medium/P5150453.jpg

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/500/medium/P4280378.jpg

LincolnZephyr2006
01-02-2010, 09:06 PM
Hey Ciera.... It is actually for a customer car.... not mine! But thanks...

and also..... thanks for the suggestion guys. Do you actually take a razor blaze used for shaving or just the blade alone (like the one used for box cutters?) Anyways... I will give this a try! Should I scrape the burnt fibers around the edges first? Thanks again

LincolnZephyr2006
01-02-2010, 09:07 PM
Fabric Upholstery Repair Kit from Business Supply (http://www.business-supply.com/fabric-upholstery-repair-kit_MAS18075_product.html?src=amazonprod) ... I was going to give this a try too...

Lasthope05
01-02-2010, 09:48 PM
You'll want to use a box cuter razor. Yes you'll want to scrape the burnt fibers out first to have a good base. After you've applied the glue dont press the fibers down hard. Just place them on top and lightly pat down. Let dry and trim. Repeat if necessary.

Its similar to this process but your not gluing a piece of fabric down but the fibers themselves.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zYCsiA0N5I&feature=related]YouTube - How To: Repair Carpet Burns[/video]

CharlesW
01-02-2010, 09:52 PM
Do you actually take a razor blaze used for shaving?I actually used a safety razor.

Should I scrape the burnt fibers around the edges first?
I trimmed as much of the burn area away as I could without getting into the undamaged seat fibers.

I also used a fabric cement from a fabric store rather than super glue.

DARK HORSE
01-02-2010, 09:54 PM

GREAT IDEA!!!! (Thanks for sharing this) I have an older pickup w/ a couple of burns in the carpet I will try this on.

LincolnZephyr2006
01-02-2010, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it! I know this doesn't really coincide with the detailing arena.... but I am doing a car from a dealership and he requested to have the seats fixed! I will do the best I can!

Wax Gorilla
01-02-2010, 10:40 PM
PEP BOYS sells 3 different kits - One for Vinyl & Leather, One for Carpet and One for Cloth upolstery. All are $4.99 and work well. If you practice a little with them they are just about perfect ! You may have to really search for them because they are usually hidden on an endcap. Just ask an associate.
:props:

LincolnZephyr2006
01-02-2010, 10:42 PM
PEP BOYS sells a 3 different kits - One for Vinyl & Leather, One for Carpet and One for Cloth upolstery. All are $4.99 and work well. If you practice a little with them they are just about perfect !

Damn... just order the kit I listed above for $16 shipped! Does it look like that or is it different? Unfortunatley, I do not have a Pep Boys here!

SouthernStyles
01-03-2010, 09:44 PM
Cigarette Burn Repair Kits (http://www.goestores.com/storename/detailking/ViewDept-266624.aspx)