PDA

View Full Version : Pad Cleaner Options

Pages : [1] 2

zinc02gt
01-02-2010, 03:15 AM
After redoing my dad's tint on his Monte Carlo SS, I found a good cleaner that I would liek ot give a try on pad cleaning.

Johnson's Baby Shampoo. Oil Free and is very delicate. I tested it on an Orange pad and it seemed to be prefectly fine and had the same amount of cut that it should.

What is your take on it? Should I keep using it on all my pads? Any long term ill effects?

Rsurfer
01-02-2010, 03:27 AM
After redoing my dad's tint on his Monte Carlo SS, I found a good cleaner that I would liek ot give a try on pad cleaning.

Johnson's Baby Shampoo. Oil Free and is very delicate. I tested it on an Orange pad and it seemed to be prefectly fine and had the same amount of cut that it should.

What is your take on it? Should I keep using it on all my pads? Any long term ill effects?If it works, use it. I just don't know how a mild shampoo can throughly remove oils and waxes. JMO

dublifecrisis
01-02-2010, 08:23 AM
It sounds safe enough as long as it's rinsed sufficiently. But like surfer said, a days worth of grimey pads usually needs soaking in some sort of degreaser or something that can break down the gunk/cake that formed in all the pores.

Laura
01-02-2010, 10:41 AM

Do you have any pics of the SS?

DonMTV
01-02-2010, 10:55 AM
I bought a jar of this DP Polishing Pad Rejuvenator and I have used it to soak my pads and clean them. It does a pretty good job. Recently Auto Geek added both Pinnacle XMT Polishing Pad Cleaner and Pinnacle XMT Polishing Pad Conditioner sprays. What are the differences between the Rejuvenator that you soak the pads in and a cleaner spray like the XMT cleaner? Has anyone used both? I would assume the Rejuvenator would be good with the Grit Guard Pad Cleaner set up.

MikeyC
01-02-2010, 01:43 PM
I bought a jar of this DP Polishing Pad Rejuvenator and I have used it to soak my pads and clean them. It does a pretty good job. Recently Auto Geek added both Pinnacle XMT Polishing Pad Cleaner and Pinnacle XMT Polishing Pad Conditioner sprays. What are the differences between the Rejuvenator that you soak the pads in and a cleaner spray like the XMT cleaner? Has anyone used both? I would assume the Rejuvenator would be good with the Grit Guard Pad Cleaner set up.
Recently? The XMT Pad Cleaner and XMT Pad Conditioner have been around for a few years.

The conditioner is used to prime the pad before buffing not for cleaning the pad. So, comparing the conditioner to the other two is apples & oranges.

The XMT Pad Cleaner is pretty effective. It's a GREAT product when you've buffed a car and only ended up using one or two pads. You don't need to mix up a gallon or two of solution like you do with the DP Cleaner. So, there's less setup and clean up with the XMT Cleaner. I like to spray each pad as I finish with it. I find it helps to prevent the polish from settling into the pad.

The DP Pad Cleaner is great as well. If you do a lot of polishing or have a Grit Guard Pad Cleaner this is a great product. If you've used a lot of pads that day you just throw them in the bucket and let them soak. It's much more efficient than spraying each one.

In the end, both are very effective at getting a pad clean. It's more a question of how many pads do you end up cleaning at a time.

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
01-02-2010, 02:10 PM
If you're looking for something that is OTC, you can give Dawn Power Dissolver a shot. I've used it a lot and it works great. As the others have said though, if it works and you can't feel any of the oils from the polish, then keep using it! :)

zinc02gt
01-02-2010, 02:39 PM
Do you have any pics of the SS?

Only before the tint. My point and shoot camera died on me in the middle of the tint job. It's an internal problem so the camera is pretty much shot. I'll have to find a SD uploader drive to get em. The car lived through a tornado. I was driving it to school at the time when a tornado hit my high school. The badges are out of place and the paint is overall in bad shape. Lot's of runs, orange peel, sanding swirls, etc. but we didn't have to pay the $1000 deductible. Well, my parents didn't...

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj222/zinc02gt/SDC10867.jpg

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj222/zinc02gt/SDC10889.jpg

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj222/zinc02gt/SDC10889.jpg

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj222/zinc02gt/SDC10887.jpg

If you're looking for something that is OTC, you can give Dawn Power Dissolver a shot. I've used it a lot and it works great. As the others have said though, if it works and you can't feel any of the oils from the polish, then keep using it! :)

HA! I used that this morning experimenting with different cleaners. Works pretty good.

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
01-02-2010, 02:52 PM
Lookin' good! Is that a Cobalt next to it?

ScottB
01-02-2010, 05:21 PM
I rather like the DP Pad Rejuvinator ... you can mix up a batch to your desire and the citrus base seems to remove all polishes and waxes rather easily and quickly.

zinc02gt
01-02-2010, 09:30 PM
Lookin' good! Is that a Cobalt next to it?

Yup. I just detailed it a week ago. I'm waiting on my step mom to send me the pics. I may have to take her camera and do it yself because I've bee waiting a week for the pics.

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
01-02-2010, 09:33 PM
Yup. I just detailed it a week ago. I'm waiting on my step mom to send me the pics. I may have to take her camera and do it yself because I've bee waiting a week for the pics.

What kind of Cobalt is it?

zinc02gt
01-03-2010, 01:36 AM
2006 Cobalt SS. Non Supercharged. Only made the naturally aspirated for a few years.

Rear badges are out of place. The Cobalt was in the very same tornado, but the paint job is 'better' than the Monte Carlo's. There's a sanding swirl in the paint (under the clearcoat) and the side skirts look like they might have 1/2 a coat of clear. Other than that it was pretty nice.

I plan on fixing all the badges tomorrow if I have the time.

Irish
01-03-2010, 04:17 AM
I rather like the DP Pad Rejuvinator ... you can mix up a batch to your desire and the citrus base seems to remove all polishes and waxes rather easily and quickly.

I just ordered a tub to try it out. Hopefully it'll make keeping track of those little packets a thing of the past.

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
01-03-2010, 11:32 AM
2006 Cobalt SS. Non Supercharged. Only made the naturally aspirated for a few years.

Rear badges are out of place. The Cobalt was in the very same tornado, but the paint job is 'better' than the Monte Carlo's. There's a sanding swirl in the paint (under the clearcoat) and the side skirts look like they might have 1/2 a coat of clear. Other than that it was pretty nice.

I plan on fixing all the badges tomorrow if I have the time.

Very nice! The clear on them is a bit on the harder side if you haven't noticed yet. I was able to get all swirls out with SIP/Nano using a PC. I plan on polishing with my rotary when I get the car back from the shop.