PDA

View Full Version : Which Order??

Fritzables
01-02-2010, 01:41 AM
OK, it's that time of the year again where I give the car a mega detail.
I have now got a number of products but am unsure which order I need to apply them.

I have just spent the day with the Menzerna PO85RD and now for the next steps.

The list be low are the products I have on hand:

Einszett Metallic Polish
Einszett Glanz Wax
CG Jetseal109
Pinnacle XMT Carnauba Finishing Glaze
CG XXX HARD-CORE Pure White Carnuba Paste Wax
Pinnacle Liquid Souverän Wax

So, what are my next steps?

Happy New Year.

Fritzables.

Matt
01-02-2010, 03:27 AM
Welcome. I see you're in Oz. I'm in NZ.

First of all, I see you have a quite a few double ups there.

Things like the Pinnacle Souveran and the "CG XXX HARD-CORE Pure White Carnuba Paste Wax", CG Jetseal109 and Einszett Glanz Wax are double ups.

While there are differences between them, it's not so common to use two different types of sealants, and two different types of waxes together. Applying a sealant and then topping with a wax (after 12hours of cure time) is quite common though.

From the products you have there, the order I would recommend would be:

Pinnacle XMT Carnauba Finishing Glaze
then
Liquid Pinnacle Souverän.

Or if you want to use a sealant, skip the Finishing Glaze, and if you feel like it, top the sealant with a wax- I'd reccomend the Liquid Souverän for that.

All of the products you have listed there could be considered for use as an LSP (last step product). Some are waxes, some are sealants, some are either waxes or sealants with cleaning properties.

Sorry I can't give you a more definitive answer, but when you have all sorts of LSP's like that and have already done your prep with a polish (the Menz 85rd you mentioned) it'll be best to experiment with each product to find what suits you best. If you decide to go with a wax rather than sealant, you might like to use the XMT Glaze before applying the wax.

I can however, give you a better suggestion if I know what it is you'd like to achieve. What kind of things are you looking for from the products, is the car outside 24/7 or is it a garage queen? Do you want durability/ protection or the most beautiful look you can get?

Happy New Year,
Matt.

Fritzables
01-02-2010, 04:17 AM
G'Day Matt,

Yea mate, I'm in Brizzy. Originally from Tassie but it just was too cold so headed in a northern direction and ended up here. Been here for 22 years now - love it.

OK, I went ahead and put the XMT Carnauba Finishing Glaze over the 85RD then washed then today I went with the Pinnacle Souverän, which you had suggested. FLooks and feels pretty awesome.

OK, to give you a handle on what I am trying to achieve and my typical routine is: I am after the wetest look possible. By the way the car is a BMW E90 323i MSport (2007) which I bought new. I keep it in pristine condition but always looking for that extra.

I wash weekly if it needs it or not. I QD daily (Optimum Instant Detailer & Gloss Enhancer). On the weekends after the wash, I cant help my self and end up waxing with Optimum Car Wax. Every second weekend comes the Souverän or the XXX.

I am not sure at what stage I should use the 109 though (if at all).

Hope this gives you the info you are after.

Fritzables.

Matt
01-02-2010, 06:20 AM
Ok, so for the wettest look, the Souverän is definatly the way to go.

For the Jetseal, it's a sealant so it will give great durability (compared to *most* waxes).

The problem is that for the wettest look, using the Pinnacle XMT Carnauba Finishing Glaze will really help, but, it has mild cleaners in it which will compromise the integrity of any waxes/ sealants that are applied underneath it. You can't apply most sealants over waxes or glazes (some sealants don't mind these oily products, but a lot of them can't bond to anything other than clean paint).

If you wanted to use a sealant (the Jetseal) under the Liquid Souveran you would have to skip the XMT Glaze and just apply the Souveran over the Jetseal (after 12 hours of cure time).

Also, what colour is your car?

Liquid Souveran is the bees knees of wet looking car waxes on white paints and some slivers.

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
01-02-2010, 02:57 PM
From what you have listed up there, as mentioned, you have a lot of doubles. If you're looking for a wet look, you need to get polishes. Waxes, sealants, and glazes won't do much. Do you have a DA or rotary? Any pads? The 85rd is a final polish and will not do much correcting to remove swirls, especially on a BMW which is generally known to have a hard clear coat. The Pinnacle glaze will only fill in scratches, not remove them. Once you wash your car the next week, the glaze will be removed and your swirls will return. After you do a correct polish, you can then top it with a sealant and nuba if you choose to.

Fritzables
01-02-2010, 08:02 PM
Thanks Matt & Josh,

The BM is 'Sparkling Graphite' which is the metallic dark grey.

I thought the Einszett Metallic Polish was a polish ?!?

Fritzables.

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
01-02-2010, 09:07 PM
Thanks Matt & Josh,

The BM is 'Sparkling Graphite' which is the metallic dark grey.

I thought the Einszett Metallic Polish was a polish ?!?

Fritzables.

I am no familiar with the Einszett line of products so I can't comment on their performance or use. Glad I could help you out with the other stuff though! :)

Fritzables
01-03-2010, 12:57 AM
I am no familiar with the Einszett line of products so I can't comment on their performance or use. Glad I could help you out with the other stuff though! :)

G'Day Josh,

OK, this is the guff on the product:

For new and well-maintained paint finishes. Cleans, conditions and protects the paint finish in one simple step. Gently removes pollutants such as road grime, tree sap, bird droppings and hard water spots. Conditioners restore paint luster and prevent the finish from becoming brittle and dull. A combination of premium carnauba wax and synthetic waxes protect the surface from the elements so results lasts longer. Can be used in all temperatures and will not leave a chalky residue or leave a greasy finish. Use prior to a car show or concours for a flawless finish. Concentrated formula will provide approximately five complete treatments

I put the Liquid Souverän Wax yesterday then put a layer of XXX on today and it's looking pretty damm good.

Fritzables

Matt
01-03-2010, 05:00 AM
Unfortunately it's not just a dedicated polish. It's an AIO (all in one) product.

I'll highlight the parts that indicate that:

For new and well-maintained paint finishes. Cleans, conditions and protects the paint finish in one simple step. Gently removes pollutants such as road grime, tree sap, bird droppings and hard water spots. Conditioners restore paint luster and prevent the finish from becoming brittle and dull. A combination of premium carnauba wax and synthetic waxes protect the surface from the elements so results lasts longer. Can be used in all temperatures and will not leave a chalky residue or leave a greasy finish. Use prior to a car show or concours for a flawless finish. Concentrated formula will provide approximately five complete treatments

This means that it will "clean" the paint, so will remove waterspots, it may remove or fill some light swirls, but it's not a mechanical polish. It's a chemical cleaner combined with a sealant/ wax hybrid.

As for the colour, that "warm" sliver is one of my favourite colours, I don't like silvers, but I LOVE warm slivers. My car is warm silver (what I'd say would be very similar to "sparkling graphite". The colour on my car is very rare though, I've only seen a couple of other cars with it from the factory in that colour.

I'd love to see some pics of your ride to check out the colour .

Cheers,
Matt.

Fritzables
01-03-2010, 05:07 AM
Sounds good Matt,

Will organise in the next day or two. We have a lot of rain happening of late so I want that to pass before I get something together for you.

So, what's your recommendation on polishes then??

Fritzables.

Fritzables
01-03-2010, 05:09 AM
When I made the initial order from BMW, I had asked for white but there was no whites with the spec I wanted - it had to be made.

But they did say they had a Sparkling Graphite in srorage in Melbourne - but I was still hesitant.

So they bought it up out of VIC for me to take a look at it..... when I saw it.... "WOW !!!!!!" and that's how I ended up with the one I have now.

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
01-03-2010, 11:29 AM
Sounds good Matt,

Will organise in the next day or two. We have a lot of rain happening of late so I want that to pass before I get something together for you.

So, what's your recommendation on polishes then??

Fritzables.

For polishes, I would get something like the Meg's twins (M105/205) or Menzerna (SIP/Nano). You already have a great finishing polish with 85rd. I have never used 85rd, but forum members say it's very similar to the 3M Ultrafine that I do have.

Matt
01-03-2010, 04:05 PM
I'd agree with Josh. Although, what condition is the paint in because M105 is after all a heavy cut compound. It does finish down nicely, but I wouldn't go with it unless you have swirls or scratches that M205 or another "lighter" polish can't deal with.

Personally, I'd go with the M205 then jewel with the Menz 85rd.

I'm not really sure what BMW paint is like to work on although I hear it is quite hard, so if you have some more severe swirls then I that's where the Menz SIP might be a better choice.