PDA

View Full Version : What to use with M105/205? Waxes/glazes/sealents?

Pages : [1] 2

Chevyfanaddict
01-01-2010, 11:03 PM
I will be doing a detail soon on my 2004 Mustang Cobra which is Orange in color (a nice dark orange). I Think I will be going with the Megs 105/205 combo (having trouble deciding between using Meguires or Menzerna at this point) and want to know what else I will need as far as waxes, glazes, or sealants to compliment these products or finish off the car to make everything come alive. I really want the paint to "pop" and have a deep deep gloss and depth in color.

Also im unclear of all the correct steps as well, it will be one of my first detail jobs.

Wash, claybar (wash again?), M105, M205, ???? Help please!!

here is what the car looks like to give some of you a better idea

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg97/co-brat/Terminator019.jpg
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg97/co-brat/Terminator020.jpg

ASPHALT ROCKET
01-02-2010, 12:39 AM
Are you using a da or a rotary with these polishes. This will help in me giving you a plan of attack.

zinc02gt
01-02-2010, 03:12 AM
Nice! One of the rarest colors for those cars! I LOVE Competition Orange Terminators.

This is all with a PC. Remember to prime your pad correctly or the M105 will just dust everywhere and not cut worth a damn.

I use a CCS Yellow Pad with the M105 on most spots. You can use the CCS Orange pad with the M105 on less swirled areas. I then follow up with M205 on a CCS White pad. Then on some spots (depends how the M205/White finished) I will use a CCS Gray Pad with M105. You can then jewel the paint with a CCS Blue Pad or CCS Red (whcihever you prefer) with Menzerna P085RD or 3M Ultrafina, but with this color I don't think the jeweling would be a pritority. I also hear that jeweling should be left for rotary work? Maybe Asphalt Rocket could shine some light on that one.

The odd colored Mustangs are a little hard to work with some times. I know; I have one. The light has to catch it JUST right to see the imperfection even under worklights.

The Meg's 105/205 should be just fine with your car though.

Irish
01-02-2010, 04:51 AM
Wash, clay while the car is still wet, drying as you finish panels.

I like the LC Hydro Tech pads with 105/205. 105 with the Cyan pad, followed by 205 with the Tangerine pad. An additional step mentioned above, Menzerna PO85RD on a LC flat Black pad could give you that little something extra you're looking for.

As far as sealants and carnuba, I've grown very fond of Opti-Seal and Natty's Blue, though for your color Natty's Red would be a better fit I think. Of course you could always splurge and go for Souveran or Fuzion.

Bradshaw
01-02-2010, 09:05 AM
Once you have prepped the paint via polishing, how often do you want to reapply a wax or sealant? Be honest. If you are busy and can't get to the car as often as you like, then go with a durable sealant. If you plan on babying your car once a month with a reapplication of protection, then go with a wax.

Chevyfanaddict
01-02-2010, 11:09 AM
Thank you everyone who has replied so far and thank you for the compliments Zinc02GT. IT is a very nice color. I forgot to mention a couple things I guess. I will be using the Griots DA polisher for this job. One other thing I forgot to mention is I dont have a garage I have these pesky stray cats:bat: that like to jump all over my car with their muddy wet paws and it has definitely done some damage. Do you think this will come out?

turbos17
01-02-2010, 11:56 AM
1-Wash
2-Clay
3-Polish w/ 105, 205, then jewel it is you want with XMT#1 or something similar.
4-Apply sealant and wax
5-Sit back drool over you car and have some beers.

Those scratches may not come out if you can feel them with your fingernail. If you can't feel them they should come out.

WRAPT C5Z06
01-02-2010, 12:32 PM
ChevyFanAddict with a FORD!! :laughing:

105/205/85rd/WG sealant

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
01-02-2010, 02:45 PM
As others have said, M105 and M205 is a great combination. Which pads do you have? The order that you will go is wash, clay, wash again if you want to, compound with 105, polish with 205, and then final polish with something like 3M Ultrafine. 205 needs to be followed up to bring your gloss to it's highest potential. If you don't mind waxing more often, then go with a wax. I would think because it sits outside most of the time, your best bet would be to go with a good sealant like Wolfgang deep gloss sealant or Blackfire wet diamond.

ASPHALT ROCKET
01-02-2010, 02:54 PM
There is alot of great advice already posted. I would stick with the 5.5 inch pads, orange, white, and blue. I would suggest to have atleast 3-5 of each pad. After using 105/205, it would be a great to have 85rd to really bring the shine, gloss, and clarity out.

I have done several of these Cobras with your color and it looks great after really working a good final polish over it. Also the paint on these cars are a little on the hard side so you may need to make several passes of each step to get the paint to where you want it. Like I have always said be patient and your hard work will be rewarded with a great finish.

Mark Preus
01-02-2010, 04:06 PM
Lots of good info in this thread

zinc02gt
01-03-2010, 01:43 AM
There is alot of great advice already posted. I would stick with the 5.5 inch pads, orange, white, and blue. I would suggest to have atleast 3-5 of each pad. After using 105/205, it would be a great to have 85rd to really bring the shine, gloss, and clarity out.

I have done several of these Cobras with your color and it looks great after really working a good final polish over it. Also the paint on these cars are a little on the hard side so you may need to make several passes of each step to get the paint to where you want it. Like I have always said be patient and your hard work will be rewarded with a great finish.

How would you compare the clear coat on the Mustang's to your Corvette's? I have always noticed that it was pretty difficult to get the results I wanted out of my car. The Twin's made a nice dent on it, but I don't think I'll be able to accomplish more than 95% swirl/light scratch free without my rotary which won't touch MY paint for awhile or at least I become familiar enough with it to trust myself.

ASPHALT ROCKET
01-03-2010, 02:11 AM
How would you compare the clear coat on the Mustang's to your Corvette's? I have always noticed that it was pretty difficult to get the results I wanted out of my car. The Twin's made a nice dent on it, but I don't think I'll be able to accomplish more than 95% swirl/light scratch free without my rotary which won't touch MY paint for awhile or at least I become familiar enough with it to trust myself.

It is dam close, lol. Some of the Mustangs I posted in the show and shine section were a pain in the butt. Also the Ford trucks have some harder clear on them also, but that is another story, lol.

Irish
01-03-2010, 05:58 AM
Thank you everyone who has replied so far and thank you for the compliments Zinc02GT. IT is a very nice color. I forgot to mention a couple things I guess. I will be using the Griots DA polisher for this job. One other thing I forgot to mention is I dont have a garage I have these pesky stray cats:bat: that like to jump all over my car with their muddy wet paws and it has definitely done some damage. Do you think this will come out?

What you need is a car cover and two very mean dogs.

Chevyfanaddict
01-03-2010, 11:49 AM
What you need is a car cover and two very mean dogs.

Well actually I do have a california car cover for it just ist on 100% of the time its parked though. And I park under a car port on the side of my house.

Oh and can someone explain what "jewling" (spelling?) the paint is? I dont know what that means and also what do you guys mean when you say "rids"?