PDA

View Full Version : My first engine detail - waterless method

spike
01-01-2010, 09:04 PM
I have been researching engine detailing for a while in the net, so I finally got the guts to try to detail the engine of my 1999 V6 Camry, but not using the hose (still too nervous). First, I covered the alternator, then I just used a sponge with ONR at QD strength for my cleaner, along with a degreaser where needed that I got at Auto Zone (which I hated, BTW. I really need some APC+!!). Used a toothbrush in the areas that needed scrubbing along with a second small scrub brush. Then dressed the engine with CD-2 engine detailer per instructions on the can.

My pics aren't the best (I'm still working on that), but I hope you'll look past that. I know some of the wires were still dirty, but I couldn't reach them with my sponge.

I would have liked to try to use the hose to clean it properly, but I'm still trying to figure something out. I know where most of the components that need to be covered up are (alternator, distributor, etc.), but so far I can't find the air intake. Some advice I read says to put a rag in the intake so that water doesn't get inside the engine and flood it. I know where the air filter housing is (of course), but not sure where the intake is, or the hole that you are supposed to "plug" with the rag so water doesn't get sucked into the engine. Maybe someone could help me find it?!

Here we go:

Before

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Before_pic.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/14892/size/big/cat/)

After

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/after_pic_2.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/14893/size/big/cat/)

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. I really want to learn how to do a better job next time!! :xyxthumbs:

img
01-01-2010, 10:10 PM
Yo, you got that big box with the air filter, so don't worrry about the water--spray away.

wn1998
01-01-2010, 11:35 PM
Yo, you got that big box with the air filter, so don't worrry about the water--spray away.

I agree 100%. Your engine is waterproof. As long as you don't go removing plastic part you can spray away with no worries. I have been cleaning my engines for the last 10 years and ( I don't cover anything) I have had no problems.

mackdaddyhibble
01-01-2010, 11:58 PM
Thats looks pretty good to me so far

08 300C
01-02-2010, 01:43 AM
Wow, great job! It looks fantastic Spike

Pie
01-02-2010, 02:55 AM
Looks great!

Wax Gorilla
01-02-2010, 05:58 AM
You Don't need to cover anything in 99% of all cars if you don't use high pressure or a high volume rinse. Choose the right product, Let it work long enough, aggitate the severe build ups and rinse gently !

spike
01-02-2010, 09:43 AM
Thanks to all of you. I am happy with the results, but I know if I use a good degreaser like Megs APC+, and maybe some long handled brushes, then I can reach all the parts where your hand just can't go, then it will be cleaner. It may even look like a professional job!! LOL But for the first time I have ever cleaned an engine bay, I'm happy with the results. Next time I will try the hose method, and pray that my car will start back again! :D

JohnnyC
01-02-2010, 11:04 AM
Nice job well done

Waxmax
01-02-2010, 11:08 AM
You did a great job. I use a similar method, but do lightly hose off areas where i have used a degreaser. I usually work on a slightly warm engine and when done drive around to dry everything (I don't have a blower). After it cools down I apply a protectant.

During the year doing wipedowns will keep it looking good.

Again, very nice job.

turbos17
01-02-2010, 12:03 PM
Nice, but using a pressure washer is faster and gets things cleaner. Been using that method for years. Pressure wash, degreaser, pressure wash, spray dressing, close hood, start vehicle, let it bake, 15-20 mins. later open hood and wipe down = all done in less than 30 mins.

spike
01-02-2010, 12:46 PM
Nice, but using a pressure washer is faster and gets things cleaner. Been using that method for years. Pressure wash, degreaser, pressure wash, spray dressing, close hood, start vehicle, let it bake, 15-20 mins. later open hood and wipe down = all done in less than 30 mins.

I love the sound of that! It took me like 2.5 hrs from start to finish (including all the dwell times and running the vehicle for 20 mins).